Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another signature-like two hours to go thread. Yes, the final is around the corner. It has been a terrible year, so many lives lost, jobs vanished, people getting depressed and whatnot. We lost one dear slam already, and another one looking a bit shabby and ambiguous. Here we are, first slam final of the post covid world. Fans will be missed, handshakes too, players climbing to their box and hug everybody, as well, among other routines of slam finals. But oh well, what to do, tennis is still tennis. And kudos to organisers for doing everthing they could do to make it possible, seeing yellow ball fly again.

Let's enjoy this moment with a nice atmosphere at our homes, wherever that may be. German will be the language of the court tonight, so AUF GEHT'S!

And don't forget, this shall pass too, fans will be back, ballboys will not wear mask and be able to smile and show emotions, on court interviews will not sound weird thanks to masks blocking the mic and the awkward distance. But till then, let's stay strong and view tennis as our friend in the time of hardship.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Excited but keeping expectations in check as I don't trust Zverev to give a solid final under pressure. He had been very mediocre. The difference between him and Theim had been huge specially in this slam. Hopefully it will be decent match at least and not completely one sided.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Excited. I'm hoping Zverev can make it somewhat competitive. If not, Thiem is a worthy champion either way, but a tight set or 5 would be nice

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
TBH I was more excited before Thiem - Medvedev match. i see Dominic as a clear favourite here but I'm hoping for a good match anyway. Zverev is surely able to up his game (esp. serve) and make this final exciting. Still, I would prefer Dominic's victory, it's high time he won a slam.

·
A happy person
44,904 Posts
I'm very excited and can't wait to see one of my favs to lift the trophy, as I like them both :D After Djokovic lost this final seemed possible, it's what I hoped and I'm glad they did it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm like a man sat in an electric chair waiting for someone to pull the lever. I'm pacing around my prison cell waiting for someone to call me to the guillotine. I'm in front of a firing squad, back to my assailants, listening attentively for the gun shot that ends my life. I've crashed my car in the Mississippi and its sinking. Will I drown before I'm saved - can anybody hear me?...
Will I find relief? Can I be saved?
If Zverev wins I will be dead, hollow, dressed in black and mourning for the soul of tennis. I'm anxious as hell and trying to focus on something else - anything else. I imagine Thiem turning up in the Batmobile, with the Batman Hologram shining on the Arthur Ashe stadium just before the warm up. Joker is there (not that one): look at him..tall, curly haired, pushing more than a thousand expectant moms to be in a maternity ward. I'm bored and even death seems preferable to Zverev winning the match point.

Reactions: Burrow and khyber

·
Registered
276 Posts
As usual when it comes to a GS final, pretty much, does not really matter who is playing. Also having a new slam champion is something exciting imo.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
As excited as US Open final 2014 between Cilic - Kei = mellow, meh. Just not the same at all without Big 3 and classic New York crowd noise.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Not very much for this one. If there's any justice, Dominic Thiem wins.

It's bed time for me, anyway, so I won't see a thing.

I will watch the 3 minute highlights clip on YouTube only if Dominic Thiem wins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts