Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to take a whole thread for this, but TV ratings were up over last year in the US. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19678132/ :)

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -Roger Federer's second Wimbledon final against Rafael Nadal drew a TV audience about 10 percent larger than last year's matchup did.

The coverage of the men's championship Sunday, won by Federer in five sets, drew a 3.2 overnight rating on NBC. That's up from 2.9 in 2006, when Federer beat Nadal in four sets at the All England Club.

The ratings also increased Saturday, when the men's semifinals and Venus Williams' victory in the women's final drew an overnight rating of 2.8 - a 27 percent rise from 2006.

I am actually surprised that the men's finals scored higher than the ladies since Venus was in the final.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Very rare that ratings ever go up 10% but this is good news. A lot has to do with the way Federer has been marketed and the rivalry itself. Federer has gotten more airtime on ESPN this year than all previous years combined. He's in commercials, voting contests on ESPN, and so on.

·
Registered
373 Posts
ESPN Classic To Replay Wimbledon Men's Final

By Tennis Week
07/09/2007

Get your DVD player ready to record. It will be remembered as one of the most riveting Wimbledon finals in years and you can relive Roger Federer's 7-6(7), 4-6, 7-6(3), 2-6, 6-2 triumph over Rafael Nadal tonight. ESPN Classic will replay the classic clash between the world's top two players at 8 p.m. Eastern time today.

In defeating Nadal, Federer became the first man to win five straight titles at the All England Club since Bjorn Borg did it from 1976-80. Sunday’s final against Nadal was Federer’s first five-setter in a Grand Slam final.

The World No. 1 claimed his 11th Grand Slam championship, equaling Borg and Rod Laver on the all-time list. Federer trails Roy Emerson (12 major titles) and Pete Sampras, who tops the list with 14 career majors.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't see it that way. Saturday was a victory for delayed tape. A tragic loss for tennis fans.
Sunday was a 5 set final at Wimbledon, with history on the line.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The women's final was live, but NBC kept both men's finals from being shown live so they could include them on tape in their Satuday show. That's why the Saturday ratings went up.
Men's semis on tape instead of doubles.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Can someone explain to me in plain words what 3.2 actually means? 3.2 of what?
yeah i'd like that too. where i'm from, ratings are usually in percent or the actual number; sometimes divided up by 14-49 year-olds (target audience) or the overall audience. i have no idea what to make of "3.2" or something like that.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Can someone explain to me in plain words what 3.2 actually means? 3.2 of what?
Percent of all homes with televisions.

It is a projection -- they don't monitor literally all homes with televisions, but devise a randomized sample and project from that. So if there are 300 million homes with average of 1.6 televisions and 4 humans, then this means about 10 million homes and 40 million people watched. :)

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
These are very, very good ratings for Wimbledon. Roger's marketing(plus his well marketed friendship with Tiger) in the US is reaping positive results.....

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know for a while television that was being Tivoed/DVRed was not included in ratings in the US. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
I know for a while television that was being Tivoed/DVRed was not included in ratings in the US. Does anyone know if that is still the case?
But that shouldn't affect relative shares of viewership for Wimbledon. Peope tivo everything--sports, shows, even news pieces. So if they didn't include Tivo, then it is not included for anything else, and every other show's viewership also goes down proportionately and leaves viewership unaffected.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Percent of all homes with televisions.

It is a projection -- they don't monitor literally all homes with televisions, but devise a randomized sample and project from that. So if there are 300 million homes with average of 1.6 televisions and 4 humans, then this means about 10 million homes and 40 million people watched. :)
Hmm ok. What would be a good rating for something much more popular than tennis? Say, some popular sitcom or anything?

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Hmm ok. What would be a good rating for something much more popular than tennis? Say, some popular sitcom or anything?
It differs widely, even for a given show, from week to week. And they compute it by demography.

For Friends finale, in some demographic (20-50 or something), it was very high --like 25.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts