Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is tennis truly dead?

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

· Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just take a deep breath, everyone. Then take a look at the Quarter Final lineup of this tournament:

Product Azure Sleeve Font Jersey

Tennis is dead, and we all know it, people. Never have I been more bored by a Grand Slam than during this Australian Open. Only king Murray could spark my interest for a moment, but then it all got shattered by Murray losing to the most boring tennis player in the history of the sport.

You may say I'm just a bitter Fedtard who had one vodka bottle to0 many, but I'm not the only one who is turning away from the sport. The ratings of Australian Open broadcaster "Nine Network" have been devastating so far:

Leg Sneakers Shorts Poster Sports equipment

Time to mourn for our beloved sport, people. We have all witnessed the greatest era of all time, and now it all turned into a giant snoozefest.

· Registered
299 Posts
There has been a dark suffocating cloud over the Rod laver arena for the last two weeks

A late thirties tennis player, who hasn't practised, with hamstring problems humiliating a top 20 player 13 years younger than him takes the biscuit.

Why would anybody want to watch a guy waltz to victory without 1 completive game for the whole tournament, play acting with fake play acting to try create fake excitement along the way

You can hear and feel the anguish and disdain in the crowd. It's so sad to see the game of tennis suffer like this

· Registered
8,012 Posts
There has been a dark suffocating cloud over the Rod laver arena for the last two weeks

A late thirties tennis player, who hasn't practised, with hamstring problems humiliating a top 20 player 13 years younger than him takes the biscuit.

Why would anybody want to watch a guy waltz to victory without 1 completive game for the whole tournament, play acting with fake play acting to try create fake excitement along the way

You can hear and feel the anguish and disdain in the crowd. It's so sad to see the game of tennis suffer like this
Three young Americans in the GS QF is not that bad for the popularity of tennis, no.

· Registered
2,176 Posts
The article is about australian TV ratings. Obviously, without Barty and Kyrgios, there is much less interest in tennis down under.

Official data from television ratings firm OzTAM show that in the first six nights of this year's tournament the average viewing audience in the five major metropolitan cities was just 426,000 - a 39 per cent drop compared to the first six nights of last year's grand slam event, which drew an average of 668,000 viewers.
(the rest of the article is paywalled)

· Registered
2,284 Posts

Mid thirties player. 35 is literally mid 30s. Late 30s is 38-39.

also you are generalizing way too much. This 35 year old is the GOAT.I happen to remember Federer winning AO around this age when the current GOAT was still injured.

you had no problem with it then.

· Registered
906 Posts
Just take a deep breath, everyone. Then take a look at the Quarter Final lineup of this tournament:

View attachment 392107

Tennis is dead, and we all know it, people. Never have I been more bored by a Grand Slam than during this Australian Open. Only king Murray could spark my interest for a moment, but then it all got shattered by Murray losing to the most boring tennis player in the history of the sport.

You may say I'm just a bitter Fedtard who had one vodka bottle to0 many, but I'm not the only one who is turning away from the sport. The ratings of Australian Open broadcaster "Nine Network" have been devastating so far:

View attachment 392109

Time to mourn for our beloved sport, people. We have all witnessed the greatest era of all time, and now it all turned into a giant snoozefest.
Was speaking to a lady in Australia earlier. Apparently the Australians are boycotting the event due to the disgust over Djokovic and what the Australians see as double standards.
Apparently they are selling tickets at really cheap prices to try and get people in she said.

· Registered
8,027 Posts
Who cares about tennis ratings in Australia? It’s summer there, people probably off having a dingo on a barbie while waiting for cricket on telly, mate.

Reactions: hammer82

· Registered
299 Posts
Three young Americans in the GS QF is not too bad for tennis popularity, no.
It would be if Djokovic wasn't in the draw. But djokovic is there like a anaconda suffocating the life out of this sport

If a future star like Ben shelton starts geting humiliated by someone literally old enough to be his dad, that's not good for tennis. People will switch off the tv. Who wants to see that?

· Registered
474 Posts
this is pretty much the official start of the post big three era. there was always going to be a wobbly transition period. now we're in it. there are still some good matches. as for the australian tv ratings: who cares ?

· Registered
9,182 Posts
It would be if Djokovic wasn't in the draw. But djokovic is there like a anaconda suffocating the life out of this sport

If a future star like Ben shelton starts geting humiliated by someone literally old enough to be his dad, that's not good for tennis. People will switch off the tv. Who wants to see that?
Non Fedaltards.

· Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this is pretty much the official start of the post big three era. there was always going to be a wobbly transition period. now we're in it. there are still some good matches. as for the australian tv ratings: who cares ?
It was obvious that it was going to be difficult after the big 3 are gone.

But this shitshow??? Not even the biggest pessimists expected the total implosion of tennis.

For a time, I thought the sport would remain interesting with Zverev, Thiem, Tsitsipas, FAA, Shapovalov, Kyrgios ect. But they all did not step up.

Now we have Alcaraz, who everybody wants to hype as the new superstar, but is already crumbling. Furthermore, he just isn't that interesting.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts