Mens Tennis Forums banner

Tsonga's most impressive title: Bercy 2008 or Toronto 2014??

• Bercy 2008

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Toronto 2014

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, big congrats to Jo for his second big title, i honestly thought he was finished for top level tennis after the last 7-8 months he's had.
I said some bad things about him but it was more dissapointment and frustration than anything else.

This said, and despite the fact he beat Djoker, Murray and Fed back to back, those wins didn't look that impressive as they look in paper, particularly the ones against Djoker and Fed who both were average at best.

Personnally, i found Jo's win at Bercy 2008 much more impressive because he had to beat a very good Djoker, a pretty good Roddick, a decent Blake and above all, an on fire Nalby who in my opinion was playing better tennis than Fed-Djoker-Murray combined this week (and on his favourite surface and one of his favourite tournaments as we had seen it the year before 2008 when he destroyed Nadal and Federer there).
But Jo was in God mode in that match, especially the first set (those who've watched this match know what i'm talking about).

·
Registered
57,591 Posts
On paper, this one. But he didn't play very well either today or against Djokovic. Hell, he should have lost to Chardy in his first match. So Bercy.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
First of all, big congrats to Jo for his second big title, i honestly thought he was finished for top level tennis after the last 7-8 months he's had.
I said some bad things about him but it was more dissapointment and frustration than anything else.

This said, and despite the fact he beat Djoker, Murray and Fed back to back, those wins didn't look that impressive as they look in paper, particularly the ones against Djoker and Fed who both were average at best.

Personnally, i found Jo's win at Bercy 2008 much more impressive because he had to beat a very good Djoker, a pretty good Roddick, a decent Blake and above all, an on fire Nalby who in my opinion was playing better tennis than Fed-Djoker-Murray combined this week (and on his favourite surface and one of his favourite tournaments as we had seen it the year before 2008 when he destroyed Nadal and Federer there).
But Jo was in God mode in that match, especially the first set (those who've watched this match know what i'm talking about).
You said he was at the same level than Monfils, Gasquet and Simon. Sorry but that was unacceptable. Now he won another Masters and you have another point of view of him. You're the perfect glory hunter actually.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Quality of tennis: Bercy 2008
Surprise: Toronto 2014
I agree with this. Quality of tennis was better in his 08 victory. This was more of a surprise, especially after this shitty year he has been having. Hopefully he can take this form into the USO. He will be dangerous if he can keep this up.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You said he was at the same level than Monfils, Gasquet and Simon. Sorry but that was unacceptable. Now he won another Masters and you have another point of view of him. You're the perfect glory hunter actually.
No, i said that the disappointment was somehow the same for all the french players as they had only managed to win 1 big title all combined.
I never said Tsonga wasn't the best french player, it would have been stupid for me to say that considering their respective prize list.
I was also saying that the way Jo was losing easily to top players in the last few months, i thought Monfils could be our only hope to challenge the top players in the future.......guess Jo proved me wrong this week ;)

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
No, i said that the disappointment was somehow the same for all the french players as they had only managed to win 1 big title all combined.
I never said Tsonga wasn't the best french player, it would have been stupid for me to say that considering their respective prize list.
I was also saying that the way Jo was losing easily to top players in the last few months, i thought Monfils could be our only hope to challenge the top players in the future.......guess Jo proved me wrong this week ;)
Yeah you also said Monfils was our only hope, you should understand Jo is a class above and should never be compared to Monfils, Gasquet and Simon.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah you also said Monfils was our only hope, you should understand Jo is a class above and should never be compared to Monfils, Gasquet and Simon.
I disagree with you about Monfils.
I thoroughly think that Monfils, if he was more totally driven for winning, could challenge the top players even more than Tsonga and especially more regularly.
He might be the french player with the most tools and least weaknesses.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
I disagree with you about Monfils.
I thoroughly think that Monfils, if he was more totally driven for winning, could challenge the top players even more than Tsonga and especially more regularly.
He might be the french player with the most tools and least weaknesses.
That's why Monfils hasn't any big win in a Slam ?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Tsonga is the more accomplished player but peak Simon > peak Tsonga, tbh.
This was meant to be joke i suppose, peak Tsonga is virtually unbreakable, serving huge, huge FH, BH clicking finally, great volleys and so on, peak Simon is maybe hard to hit through and can take pace and dictate, but honestly peak Tsonga over peak Simon in their match and also vs the field overall peak Tsonga is better

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
The tennis he played in 2008 was better, but you can't compare that to the overall victory he's accomplished here. Even if they were so far out of form, most players would have fallen to one of them along the way. Not to mention the enormous H2H differentials he had to overcome in various match-ups. It's not the better tennis, but this can arguably go down as his better tournament. He's matched history and then some.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Djokovic and Federer were poor but that doesn't change the fact that Jo played well and for him to beat Djoko, Murray, Dimitrov and then Federer is fantastic :)

Bercy was impressive stuff too.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Bercy and it´s not close, but i would say this is his bigest title in his carrer with Paris-Bercy considered as ,,worst,, Masters1000 generally over the year and Jo and other french guys are clearly stronger in FRA, just like US guys in US so this being outside FRA i would say is his biggest title in his career. But level-wise gamewise Bercy was more impressive for sure, this was mostly Jo serving huge and Murray was only tough match and only guy on the tournament who could have won it besides Jo i think

·
23,063 Posts
Bercy and it´s not close, but i would say this is his bigest title in his carrer with Paris-Bercy considered as ,,worst,, Masters1000 generally over the year and Jo and other french guys are clearly stronger in FRA, just like US guys in US so this being outside FRA i would say is his biggest title in his career. But level-wise gamewise Bercy was more impressive for sure, this was mostly Jo serving huge and Murray was only tough match and only guy on the tournament who could have won it besides Jo i think
The thing that could "legitimize" how big the Toronto win is that it was won outside of Bercy where the Big Four oddly plays subpar. I guess the same could be said here, but the jolt in form to beat sub-par Big Four is still impressive. I mean where did this consistent form came from anyway? I mean I would've thought he would've exited at R3 anyway seeing his form.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts