Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone added this here already ...

“It’s not fair,” Tsonga said. “If it’s really close, he would never say ‘out’ against Rafa. If Rafa doesn’t like him anymore, he would not be in the chair many times in a final and semifinal.”

Tsonga said he lost his concentration because he became so focused on watching the lines in case he needed to challenge a ruling. Many players contend that since the advent of the Hawk-Eye replay review system, which allows players to challenge, umpires are less inclined to overrule linesmen.

“I understand sometimes the frustration on this situation,” Nadal said. “It’s a general thing with the referees today that with the Hawk-Eye, I believe that they feel that they have less pressure than before. Probably knowing that you have the challenge, they don’t take the risk to have to overrule.

“He’s right in one thing; he’s wrong in another thing.”
Did anyone notice preferential treatment for Rafa?

Source: http://tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=17019&zoneid=4

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I don't know if anyone added this here already ...

Did anyone notice preferential treatment for Rafa?

Source: http://tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=17019&zoneid=4
I mean if Nadal got better treatment which is debatable either way, he can't change that. I agree with Tsonga, and I've said before, that the hawkeye system puts unecessary pressure on the players and serves as a distraction as they are so focused on checking on whether or not balls are in or out

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean if Nadal got better treatment which is debatable either way, he can't change that. I agree with Tsonga, and I've said before, that the hawkeye system puts unecessary pressure on the players and serves as a distraction as they are so focused on checking on whether or not balls are in or out
Where was the umpire from? Does anyone know? Was he Spanish?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I do agree that some umpires seem to be favoring the top players, sometimes it's like they're scared or something but whatever Tsonga. lbr, what lost him that match was not the umpiring but his clowning, he could've taken it despite the bad umpiring but he clowned it up big time. I'm not absolving the umpires of responsibility, but it would've been better if he did not clown it up, won the match, and called the umpires out on their bullshit. Losing the match and then mouthing off like this, no one will really take him seriously since it will be brushed off as sour graping.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I do agree that some umpires seem to be favoring the top players, sometimes it's like they're scared or something but whatever Tsonga. lbr, what lost him that match was not the umpiring but his clowning, he could've taken it despite the bad umpiring but he clowned it up big time. I'm not absolving the umpires of responsibility, but it would've been better if he did not clown it up, won the match, and called the umpires out on their bullshit. Losing the match and then mouthing off like this, no one will really take him seriously since it will be brushed off as sour graping.
Exactly

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
When you see Ryan Harrison and other lower players get a time violation warning at the Australian Open and Nadal play entire matches there averaging over 30 seconds and not receive a single warning, you know umpires are giving preferential treatment to him. It's not even a question.

·
Your visions will happen
48,563 Posts
Coming up the ranks, guys call their own lines all day. Not every future and challenger match will have paid line judges and chair umpires.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
This shouldn't be too hard. Just count the number of overrules in favor of each player. That doesn't prove anything (it's possible that all the bad line calls went against Nadal and required overrules), but it can at least give us a starting point for discussion.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
tsonga could get fined by atp for criticizing the umpire.

also why are the french players---current and old-- always complaining about the spanish athletes? do they ever stop their weeping and whining?

why dont they just let them be?

finally tsonga really should have been dispatched in straight sets last night. nadal the merciful.

i am not happy with the clay warrior.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tsonga could get fined by atp for criticizing the umpire.

also why are the french players---current and old-- always complaining about the spanish athletes? do they ever stop their weeping and whining?

why dont they just let them be?

finally tsonga really should have been dispatched in straight sets last night. nadal the merciful.

i am not happy with the clay warrior.
I think he will be fined. Even if he is right, he will get fined. It's not just Nadal though. Let's face it. The ATP takes care of their top players.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Nadull exploits the current system the most .
Fed is great on court / diva off it.
Novak has stopped his retirement and faking somewhat.
Murray just looks that way , just a miserable Scot
Birdshit/Tsonga/ ferrer and ok for the most part.
Nadull just incessantly cheats in numerous ways since he came on tour. The Spanish federation even looks the other way . The French know what he is up to.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Coming up the ranks, guys call their own lines all day. Not every future and challenger match will have paid line judges and chair umpires.
BUT this is a PRO match in which officials are being PAYED and making a LIVING OFF of calling the lines. I understand that in the lower spectrums that is the case but let's be realistic the level of talent across the net is obviously higher and more stressful in ATP pro circuit so there is more of a demand for good linesmen.

The hawkeye system further complicates players paying attention to the lines BECAUSE it is the player CHALLENGING linesmen. in the lower circuits they keep track of ALL OF THE in/outs but in the PRO hawkeye system the player has the stress of determining when to challenge the linesmen.

obviously it is frusturating that linesmen have an excuse to be lax about their calls and that Tsonga and other players have to have in the back of their mind "oh these linesmen are not calling to the best of their abilities"

its a valid exuse and the current hawkeye system definitely has its faults and has allowed linesmen to get worse in the past few years

·
Registered
375 Posts
Now that I would like to see on the main tour. could you imagine the arguments.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
True that!

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,427 Posts
Of course he gets preferential treatment. He's hardly ever warned for time wasting while others are. The umpires, for the most part, are spineless cowards when it comes to him and Djokovic.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
but of course...
-time wasting warning only called for challenger level players while he can take a minute to serve.

-he can take MTO when he wants.
-fed and nole on same half of GS 15 times(this should be enough)
-court speed was reduced for him(and this too should be enough for a lawsuit)
-MS finals were made best of 3 instead of 5 just when he arrived
-carpet is extinct
-racket technology was changed for him.
-they put him in adds and videos to have more fan preference
-very suspicious stamina, loss of weight and water bottles.

he should be kicked out of tennis imo...not even saying all the other countless stuff he does to distract players.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
This is the latest thing tried by those people still don't know why Nadal wins a lot. To continuously talk about umpiring or whatever not related to tennis.
Instead of admitting he is extremely talented they come up with lame excuses from time to time. It's not Rafa's fault neither few players or dumb posters know why he's one of the best in tennis history. Clearly you just want him to only appear on Davis Cup matches, be in the shadows, etc and you are annoyed he proved you wrong by turning out to be a great player.
Haters gonna Hate. :)

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of course he gets preferential treatment. He's hardly ever warned for time wasting while others are. The umpires, for the most part, are spineless cowards when it comes to him and Djokovic.
Well. That's my beef with Rafa. And also the timeouts that cause havoc in other people's games when they have momentum. But I am not sure Tsonga had a case last night. Nobody wants to cheer for clownga.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
so the poor humble guy now demands:
-a reduced schedule for everyone, instead of just playing less himself.
-slower courts everywhere
-2 year ranking system so he can become number one along with other moonballers.
:facepalm:

then the espn latin america commentators say he is very humble and correct. no?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts