Mens Tennis Forums banner

Tsonga-Monfils-Gasquet generation:the biggest waste of talent ever seen in a country?

• Yes

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 35.7%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's fair to say so.
Ok for their excuse, they've had to compete against one of the strongest generations ever but hell, even guys like Cilic, Wawrinka or Del Potro who were far far less rated than especially Monfils and Gasquet at the beginning of their careers have managed to grab a Slam against the big 4 (or big 3 + Murray).

And now, to make it even more comical, they can't even win a DC (where they've said multiple times that's one of their biggest objectives) despite the fact they have the most good players in top 20-30 of any country and the fact most of top players don't play DC every year.

Simon is the only current french player i have respect for because at least,despite his limitations, he's maximized his potential and is actually really though mentally.
This said, he really shouldn't have played today considering Gasquet's current form and his past encounters with Murray (he's been the one who was the closest to beat him on Grass).

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
Let me see, Tsonga did what you could expect, Monfils is overrated and would have never won a slam even with total commitment and Gasquet overachieved. I'm going to say no.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
How did Gasquet OVERachieve Chris?

Reactions: GiFeRiGri

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me see, Tsonga did what you could expect, Monfils is overrated and would have never won a slam even with total commitment and Gasquet overachieved. I'm going to say no.

:lol::lol::lol:
Let me guess, just after the incredible level of play he showed at MC 2005 as a teenager or even Wimbledon 2007,you would have seriously expected that the best title he would win the 10 following years would be an ATP 250??:lol::lol:
Especially considering that he was already considered as one of the (if not THE) best juniors ever in term of precocity??

If so then you're the reincarnation of Nostradamus :worship:

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
How did Gasquet OVERachieve Chris?
Three GS SF and twelve titles is a lot for someone whose backhand is the only aspect of his game that is above mediocre.
:lol::lol::lol:
Let me guess, just after the incredible level of play he showed at MC 2005 as a teenager or even Wimbledon 2007,you would have seriously expected that the best title he would win the 10 following years would be an ATP 250??:lol::lol:
Especially considering that he was already considered as one of the (if not THE) best juniors ever in term of precocity??

If so then you're the reincarnation of Nostradamus :worship:
Has Young also underachieved just because he was seen as the savior of American tennis in his teens? No, he is not good enough. Same with Dimitrov.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Three GS SF and twelve titles is a lot for someone whose backhand is the only aspect of his game that is above mediocre.Has Young also underachieved just because he was seen as the savior of American tennis in his teens? No, he is not good enough. Same with Dimitrov.
Except that Young or Dimitrov never ever showed the level of play displayed by a 18 year old Gasquet against peak Federer and Nadal, let alone when they were teenagers.

·
Registered
10,756 Posts
Gasquet's forehand was pretty good at Wimbledon this year. Far inferior to the any of the top-tier players, of course (including Wawrinka, since he is currently a top player).

I agree that he could and should have done better with his career.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gasquet's forehand was pretty good at Wimbledon this year. Far inferior to the any of the top-tier players, of course (including Wawrinka, since he is currently a top player).
It was just at the level it was 7-10 years ago.....it's so much better when he is not doing that stupid and useless looping.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest, Tsonga did much better than what was expected from him at the beginning, especially comparing to Monfils and Gasquet but after his surprising AO 2008, you could expect a bit more from him.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts

I agree that he could and should have done better with his career.
I wonder if his fh will stick or if it was just a one tournament thing.

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
Except that Young or Dimitrov never ever showed the level of play displayed by a 18 year old Gasquet against peak Federer and Nadal, let alone when they were teenagers.
Dimitrov beat Berdych when he was 17 and took a set off Nadal in the next match. Flukes, just like Gasquet's performances at that age. Janowicz looked impressive as well before his brainless game got figured out by the entire tour.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Dimitrov beat Berdych when he was 17 and took a set off Nadal in the next match. Flukes, just like Gasquet's performances at that age. Janowicz looked impressive as well before his brainless game got figured out by the entire tour.

Lol you're talking about results but i'm not only talking about that but above all, about level of play.
When you watch Gasquet play at MC 2005 or even at Toronto 2006 (only lost to Fed after straigh setting Murray, Berdych and Blake) and US Open 2006, you don't see a one man tournament but an almost certain future GS winner and i'm certain that's what many thought back then.

I for example remember after his epic US Open 2006 match against Hewitt(who was still a great player back then) that in many forums, most of people thought that after Nadal, Gasquet would be the one with most Slams out of the Djoker-Murray-Monfils-Berdych-Del Potro-Wawrinka-Cilic group.

And lol about Janowicz: apart his serve, what was truly impressive in his game, can you tell me?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Tsonga isn't an underachiever and I say it as a fan. He has clear weaknesses in his game (BH, ROS, passing shots) and is very injury prone, yet he reached a Slam final, 6 Slam SFs, 11 Slam QFs, a WTF final and won 2 Masters titles. You shouldn't forget Jo has the best W-L record among Slamless players at Slams of the Open Era, while there are many better Slamless players than him (Nalbandian, Rios to name a few) - which shows Tsonga brings his A game where it matters most.

You're wrong when you say Simon is the only French player who maximized his potential. Well, as a player, maybe. But achievement wise, you could expect more than two Slam QFs and no Slam SF for a former #6 like him. He underachieved more than Tsonga if anything.

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
OP:

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I am afraid so. They have basic physical talent, but are either mentally weak or had poor coaching. Probably a combination of both.

·
The special one
14,368 Posts
Gasquet has underachieved big time when you think he was touted as a future world no 1, Tsonga has probably achieved what you would expect and what can you say about Monfils if that guy had a brain he'd bre dangerous

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Gasquet and Simon's games are too lightweight to really make it to the very top, they've done very well for themselves.

Tsonga has terrible BH and especially ROS + a lot of problems with injuries throughout his career, he had a pretty good career and was relatively unlucky not to win a Slam anyway considering his overall record and big wins at these events.

Monfils is the only one of these players who's an underachiever but it's not exactly a secret why and it's not like he's disappointed with it. He's just the tennis version of the Harlem Globtrotters.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts