Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to rank high up there with most impressive tournament wins. He beat the best player in the world, then beat Murray in the next round. Both have good head to head leads against them so to beat those odds are excellent. Then he beat Dimi who has been playing really well this year, and then the GOAT in the final. Hats off to Tsonga :worship:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I've never heard of the third player in the title but yes, Tsonga has done very well. Hope he can sustain the form.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
I've never heard of the third player in the title but yes, Tsonga has done very well. Hope he can sustain the form.
This!
Any half decent player can beat Sharknitrov.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Congrats, Jo....

Didn't think he had it in him to make such a run after his struggles the last 18 months or so...

First guy since Canas to beat 4 Top 10 guys in a tournament, thereby getting himself to #10....

The most impressive thing about Jo was how in control(mentally) he seemed, throughout....

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Yes Tsonga played well this week but let's be real, none of his opponents did. Djokovic and Federer were shockingly bad and flat.

Happy for Jo.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
good tournament win for sure but to be fair Djokovic clearly didn't care (I mean 6-2 6-2 says it all), Murray is miserable this year with his coaching complications and recovery from back surgery, and Federer is declined

don't get me wrong- it's very impressive

just a few years ago would have meant more

that said you've got take the chances when you're given them and I think everyone is impressed how Jo really has risen to the occasion after so many disappointing losses in the past few years

·
Registered
726 Posts
Congrats, Jo....

Didn't think he had it in him to make such a run after his struggles the last 18 months or so...

First guy since Canas to beat 4 Top 10 guys in a tournament, thereby getting himself to #10....

The most impressive thing about Jo was how in control(mentally) he seemed, throughout....
Nope. He is the first ever to beat 4 top 10 guys in a tournament :)

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
How exactly is beating a not motivated Djokovic, Murray who hasn't been the same since his surgery, Dimitrov :lol: and a 33 years old Federer not used to day session impressive?

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Get Dimitrov out of the title. You're ruining the achievement

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Nope. He is the first ever to beat 4 top 10 guys in a tournament :)
What?

I'm sorry, but that's innacurate. Off the top of my head, and particularly relevant because it was at this same tournament, Canas beat 4 top tenners plus a then #12th ranked Roddick back in '02.

·
Registered
726 Posts
What?

I'm sorry, but that's innacurate. Off the top of my head, and particularly relevant because it was at this same tournament, Canas beat 4 top tenners plus a then #12th ranked Roddick back in '02.
Aah you're right. I miscounted, thinking that because Roddick #12 he just missed. But he did beat a #10 Fed :)

R64 Roger Federer (SUI) 10 W 7-6(10), 7-5 Stats
R32 Paradorn Srichaphan (THA) 60 W 6-2, 6-1 Stats
R16 Yevgeny Kafelnikov (RUS) 5 W 6-2, 6-2 Stats
Q Marat Safin (RUS) 2 W 7-5, 6-3 Stats
S Tommy Haas (GER) 3 W 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(5) Stats
W Andy Roddick (USA) 12 W 6-4, 7-5

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I could've sworn Nalbandian was there too. Hard to believe Berdych and Del Po were both outside the top 10 when he took them out along with Djokovic, Nadal, and Fed in Madrid.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts