Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will he qualify for WTF 2014?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jo has returned to Top 10 with victory at Toronto which included wins against 4 Top 10 players.

He's currently 11th in Race to London with 2365 points, runners in competition with Jo-

9) Murray- 2615
10) Nishikori- 2475
12) Gulbis- 2310

Will he make to WTF?? Two more strong performances at big tournament will book his place. Runners around him vastly inconsistent or injured.

I wish Jo will qualify for WTF since he brings uncertainty, drama there unlike routine pusher in Top.10 consistently failed to beat Top players there.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
It's been looking like the tightest WTF contest for a while now, with Murray still not recovering his best, and Dimitrov/Raonic/Nishi/Gulbis racking up consistent points all season. Then add on Ferrer's recent poor results after illness, and Tsonga leaping up the rankings, it's even closer.

It'll probably be an exceptionally high points cutoff this year, maybe around 4000 points. Most years at this stage it's just 2 or maybe 3 people chasing the last two spots, but at present it's perhaps 8 or even 9 chasing the last four spots:

Dimi 3155
Berd 3150
Raon 2895
Ferr 2855
Murr 2625
Nish 2475 (although missing events atm. Perhaps Tokyo will come to his rescue)
Tson 2375
Gulb 2320

Cilic also playing well (1920), and possibly could have a big result at the UO or a masters. Below that, it probably needs a surprise masters winner to start catching up, which probably only Isner (1530) is capable of.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Yes, he deserves to qualify.

Last 4 spots for 8 players, all 8 are between 800 points.

Hopefully it will be

Novak
Rafa
Roger
Stan

Grigor
Twitter
Jo
Andy

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
He deserves too! Hope he can keep this form up.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I hope he'll qualify, he can beat anybody on indoor HC. And maybe he doesn't have to make the top 8, if Nadal misses the USO, maybe he'll skip also the WTF as he has no business there.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Great for the sport to have this much competition for WTF spots, though I would always fear a drop in consistency from Tsonga. Will be keen to see if he can make a nice run in Cincinnati and set himself up for the US Open.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Poll added.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
If he keeps playing like he did in Toronto then he should qualify. But I have a feeling he won't. I think he'll end up as number 9 or 10 in the rankings by the end of the year.

All of the current #1-5 seem a lock for the WTF. Ferrer, Raonic, and Dimitrov aren't as good as Tsonga at his best, but they have all been more consistent lately. And there's still Murray to consider, whom I believe will continue to improve.

·
23,063 Posts
If he keeps playing like he did in Toronto then he should qualify. But I have a feeling he won't. I think he'll end up as number 9 or 10 in the rankings by the end of the year.

All of the current #1-5 seem a lock for the WTF. Ferrer, Raonic, and Dimitrov aren't as good as Tsonga at his best, but they have all been more consistent lately. And there's still Murray to consider, whom I believe will continue to improve.
Berdych still could be as consistent as Dimitrov, IMO. Murray and Nishikori could go very deep in one/two big tournaments to compensate points. I think the same for Tsonga and Gulbis too IMO. I think it is still close to call what could happen. With just 800 points it could change very well as we go to Cinci (1000), USO (2000), Shanghai (1000), Basel/Valencia (500) and Paris (1000) which means still more room for getting ahead in the Race.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
If Nadal doesn't play the Open, then Tsonga's chances skyrocket even more. I feel like he'll take the rest of the year off is he doesn't play in NY.

·
Premium Member
25,190 Posts
Will he qualify for WTF?

It’s not in the bag but, of course, I wish him the best.

Fm last interview. Hard work is paying off. Since October 2013 he is working with a new team, tandem Thierry Ascione/Nicolas Escudé. He also lost weight at the request of his new physical trainer Xavier Moreau.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
If Nadal doesn't play the Open, then Tsonga's chances skyrocket even more. I feel like he'll take the rest of the year off is he doesn't play in NY.
20 hours after posting this, there's a thread about Nadal not playing at the Open. Now the question becomes will he just call it a year? Tsonga would be all but in the WTF now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts