Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain to me why tsn isn't showing any tennis coverage this weekend ? This is the first year where the coverage has been absolutely terrible .

I forgot golf and poker have precendence over tennis .

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
wimbledonfan said:
Can anyone explain to me why tsn isn't showing any tennis coverage this weekend ? This is the first year where the coverage has been absolutely terrible .

I forgot golf and poker have precendence over tennis .
I think that CBC and Radio-Canada have the rights to the coverage for the week-end.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you shy for the updates but I checked my rogers tv time listings and I don't see when they will resume broadcasting the semis and finals. Hopefully it's not in the middle of the night .

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Yep. Semifinals are scheduled for 1:00 PM and 6:30 PM on CBC.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
TSN doesn't have the rights for weekend action...Why do people always snap without knowing what they are talking about???

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My problem was with their coverage this ENTIRE weekend

I happen to work during the day and tsn has a history of showing useless golf coverage or cfl throughout the summer which prohibits any tennis during prime time hours . The last 3 days they showed taped matches at 1 am while tsn announced the winners of those results so it is rather pointless watching .

Bottome line is that they should be showing LIVE tennis at 7:30 pm for those of us who can't stay home and watch it during the day .

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
wimbledonfan said:

I happen to work during the day and tsn has a history of showing useless golf coverage or cfl throughout the summer which prohibits any tennis during prime time hours . The last 3 days they showed taped matches at 1 am while tsn announced the winners of those results so it is rather pointless watching .

Bottome line is that they should be showing LIVE tennis at 7:30 pm for those of us who can't stay home and watch it during the day .
golf? bwwahahaha

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
wimbledonfan said:

bottom line is they care about ratings not your personal viewing pleasures. CFL games will definitely amass a larger viweing audience than any non-major tennis match. Maybe you should call TSN and personally request that they forget about ratings and try to please 0.01% of Canadians.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I see your point .That explains to me why tsn likes to show curling a lot because of the ratings . Thx for clarifying this up for me mistaflava.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
How many people follow tennis on Canada when there are no canadian players?

During Montreal, I never saw the Center Court completly full, even in an Agassi, Nadal or Roddick match (neither the Grandstand).

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Believe it or not, if you knew anything about sports and TV Ratings, the two big yearly Curling tournament (Briar and Scott Tournament of Hearts) both attract more viewers than any tennis match.

FACE IT BRO...tennis is just not a TOP 10 sport in Canada.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nygel , I disagree with you , the match with Agassi was a total sell out . In fact , I believe we sell more tickets than in any other masters event . If you watch any of the matches you'll see it's pretty close to sell out . The problem I have is that tsn has a history of showing certain sports to maintain their canadian heritage when it often does poorly in ratings , at least where i'm from .

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Actually, Tennis is gaining popularity. Each year, the tournament break the previous attendance record. Contrary to sport like baseball and other,kids are starting to get more into it which is good. For instance, many gyms or clubs had to add tennis court each year.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you shy , someone who finally agrees with me . Tennis is a rising sport in Canada and lets hope they promote the sport even more so than they did in the 90's . I don't want Canada to focus all their attention on hockey which is what all the local radio stations continue to do . They need to show more tennis during prime time hours and not old hockey tapes or golf tournaments that are being played elsewhere . This tournament is in Canada , tsn should at least be showing more tennis than our counterparts over at espn .

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
wimbledonfan said:
nahh , i'm from toronto . We don't watch curling here .

I'm from Toronto too and I don't watch curling. Bottom line is, the rest of Canada does and although that's absolutely retarded, TSN goes where the money is at.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
You guys have it all fucking wrong. Attendance might be growing but how does that mean the rest of the Country wants to watch it? We are talking about viewers/ratings for TV Networks. Just because the Oshawa Generals hockey team sell out every home game this season, does that mean they would have success in front of a National TV Audience?

What don't you guys understand exactly?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
And you are the same people that blame Rusedski and Lewis for leaving Canada to imrove in their sport :confused:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with you , but don't you think Canada should start promoting other sports more often like they do in the u.s or in Australia. Then people complain that Canada doesn't do well at the olympics .

Another thing I wanted to mention which I read in the Star is that tennis tv ratings have gone up by something like 30 % from last year which is definitely a positive sign . If the marketing execs do a better job promoting the sport and tv coverage is up ,then perhaps we just might see a top ten Canadian player in the next 20 years or so . Otherwise, we will always be just another hockey nation .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts