Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fret not my friend, for the grass still requires changes to your game.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/tsitsipas-wimbledon-2019-reaction

“I felt very uncomfortable. I changed my technique. I've changed my movement accordingly, according to the surface. When I'm playing out there, I don't really play my game the way I want to play just because the grass just forces you to change,” Tsitsipas said. “You have to stay lower. You have to kind of make these micro changes in your game, the way you serve, because the ball is sliding, the ball is staying low. That's what I'm really frustrated about. I don't play my game. I play someone else's game.”

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Fret not my friend, for the grass still requires changes to your game.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/tsitsipas-wimbledon-2019-reaction
The short quote here sounds like he played grass for the first time in his life, which of course is not the case. The link provides more complete interview. Basically he was saying his practice and warmup matches did not achieve what he wanted, and he praised his opponent as well. So indeed grass is very tricky to practice/play into form.

·
Administrator
10,778 Posts
ESPN mentioned that Kudla said in his post match interview that the courts were playing slower today which is odd since grass is generally the fastest surface. Maybe the unusual court conditions made him feel uncomfortable. Who knows.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
That's certainly true, but not to the degree where a good professional player can't handle it. At the end of the day, it usually simply comes down to serve and slice (and how to respond to it). Especially the latter.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
He could explain to Zverev that he did not choose to win. Winning is a matter of choice for them, you know.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
This guy loves his excuses and insta posts, doesn't he? How about you learn to hit a decent slice instead.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Interesting but I was wondering if after being destroyed by nadal at the AO and then beating him on clay that actually it is the higher bouncing surface which suits him better as it gives him more time to hit his big spinning shots. I think there was an assumption that because Fed struggles with the ball high on his single handed backhand that Tsistipas will as well but he seems very comfortable with the high backhand. looks like it is the low shots he struggles with. Some serious work to do for him to be a force on grass.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Not everyone has the same experience with grass. These kids play here and maybe a warmup. That´s not enough to get a feel for it. Give him a few years.

But he cannot aproach every tournament the same way and trying to play his style.

Doesn´t work like that.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I understand his frustration but you are a tennis pro so you have to be able to adjust to any surface. Don't blame the surface.

Playing on grass is different but you have to try harder. Practice more, get ready ...

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
ESPN mentioned that Kudla said in his post match interview that the courts were playing slower today which is odd since grass is generally the fastest surface. Maybe the unusual court conditions made him feel uncomfortable. Who knows.
This hasn't been the case at Wimbledon since they introduced the new seed in 2001 to make the surface slower.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Hopefully this doesn't change the way he goes through doors. This is the best I've ever seen somebody going through a door.

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think he understands the meaning of "adapt or die".
Well he was unable to adapt so he died. Tennis wise of course

·
~* Princess Karolina *~
174 Posts
I'm not a fan of stef at all... but how many of you out there have actually played in grass?

The pros make it look easy but is actually a fkn hard surface to play on - especially given you don't get much practice

1 - 20 of 22 Posts