Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Federer

Votes: 49 90.7%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous. But hear me out. They both have the same win percentage on the surface, Federer has a whopping 6 Madrid/Hamburg titles but hasn’t been able to get it done at MC(where Stef has won 2 times) and Rome(where Stef will play the final tomorrow). Stefanos has played 2 matches against Novak at RG pushing it to a 5th set both times, while Fed has one win in 4 sets and one spanking. They have both won against Rafa in conditions that don’t suit him (Madrid/Hamburg), plus Tsitsipas has plenty of time to win RG where Fed won once while being almost beaten by Haas and avoiding Rafa and I feel he is the 3rd/4th favourite this year (If Rafa is unhealthy and Novak/Alcaraz play each other before the final he might even be higher than that).

Take in mind that Stef is only 23

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
Put 2005-09 Federer in 2022 and he will sweep the clay season.

·
Registered
290 Posts
At this point, the answer is clearly Federer. If he didn't have to face the single best clay courter of all time, he would be all but guaranteed to have won 2+ (most likely 3-4) RG titles and double digit M1000 titles on clay.

Of course, Tsitsipas is still young. So if he wins 2+ RG titles, and 10+ M1000 titles on clay, this would be an interesting discussion to have.

·
Registered
277 Posts
There's no comparison. Federer, at his best, was definitely a better clay-courter. Sure, Tsitsipas will likely have more success, but that'll be an artifact of him playing much of his career after Nadal and Djokovic have been aged out of competition. Tsitsipas can't even beat this aged version of Djokovic on clay (losing at Roland Garros in 2020 and 2021), let alone the 2011 monster Federer managed to beat.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous. But hear me out. They both have the same win percentage on the surface, Federer has a whopping 6 Madrid/Hamburg titles but hasn’t been able to get it done at MC(where Stef has won 2 times) and Rome(where Stef will play the final tomorrow). Stefanos has played 2 matches against Novak at RG pushing it to a 5th set both times, while Fed has one win in 4 sets and one spanking. They have both won against Rafa in conditions that don’t suit him (Madrid/Hamburg), plus Tsitsipas has plenty of time to win RG where Fed won once while being almost beaten by Haas and avoiding Rafa and I feel he is the 3rd/4th favourite this year (If Rafa is unhealthy and Novak/Alcaraz play each other before the final he might even be higher than that).

Take in mind that Stef is only 23
Sorry but this comparison is silly. Federer would be sitting on 5+ RG titles if it wasn't for Rafa. I simply cannot se ehim lose 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2011 to anyone else. He was atrocious in the 2008 final but he would likely win that against anyone else.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sorry but this comparison is silly. Federer would be sitting on 5+ RG titles if it wasn't for Rafa. I simply cannot se ehim lose 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2011 to anyone else. He was atrocious in the 2008 final but he would likely win that against anyone else.
He probably would've won every final from 05-11 if not for Nadal. Even 10 would've been different if he had the aura and invincibility of a 5 time defending champ. He would've had chances in 19 as well.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
He probably would've won every final from 05-11 if not for Nadal. Even 10 would've been different if he had the aura and invincibility of a 5 time defending champ. He would've had chances in 19 as well.
Totally agree. It always baffles me how ppl think Federer was not good on clay. He was actually very very good is the only answer.

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
Of course tsitsipas. Federer only won one RG because he was gifted.
If Tsitsipas had Federer’s RG 09 draw, he would have lost against Haas in the fourth round.

Imagine thinking that Tsitsipas is better than Federer on clay. Clown!

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Tsitsipas' game is better suited to the surface generally, but I take Federers peak level over his by quite a margin.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts