Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same ranking of 6 but Tsitsipas won the bigger title (Nitto Tour Finals to Roger's Hamburg). Tsitsipas major results are also better and more consistent than Fed's As this article points out.

So it's entirely possible Tsitsipas may be on track to achieving a better career than.....

Roger Federer.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably laughed at the idea of 21 year old Federer having a better career than Pete Sampras too, right? lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
As huge of a fan I am of Tsitsipas, I doubt he'll have a better tennis career than Federer. Tsitsipas seems very talented but he also has lots of outside interests that if not balanced properly could be a distraction. I think Federer was super focused on tennis, whereas Tsitsipas is super interested in filmography -- it almost seems like he prefers making and editing videos over tennis. In fact I'm sure he does, because for him the grind of tennis can get repetitive, and he is a very creative person who needs a variety of artistic and intellectual stimulation that tennis alone cannot achieve. This makes me worried that Tsi may retire early for outside pursuits as a film director or even an actor. I hope he has staying power but I do worry he might be a flash in the pan and become famous through other avenues.

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
For sure, OP.

Tsitsipas is coming up in a much tougher era though.

As huge of a fan I am of Tsitsipas, I doubt he'll have a better tennis career than Federer. Tsitsipas seems very talented but he also has lots of outside interests that if not balanced properly could be a distraction. I think Federer was super focused on tennis, whereas Tsitsipas is super interested in filmography -- it almost seems like he prefers making and editing videos over tennis. In fact I'm sure he does, because for him the grind of tennis can get repetitive, and he is a very creative person who needs a variety of artistic and intellectual stimulation that tennis alone cannot achieve. This makes me worried that Tsi may retire early for outside pursuits as a film director or even an actor. I hope he has staying power but I do worry he might be a flash in the pan and become famous through other avenues.
Hah, I don't think you need to worry about these things. Very unlikely.

Reactions: SuperG

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For sure, OP.

Tsitsipas is coming up in a much tougher era though.

Hah, I don't think you need to worry about these things. Very unlikely.
Yes but Djokovic came up in the most impossible era of all time and he's on course to pass Fed and Rafa in total majors. Sprouting up in a super tough era is what makes great young players into SUPER GREAT Champions. Tsitsipas is learning from the 3 goats. These lessons and sufferings could create the next GOAT.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It's not so hard to be more talented than Federer, but it is hard to become better and more successful player than him because it requires a lot of dedicated disciplined hard work (which Federer is known for). Whether Tsitsipas has that mentality or not quite, it remains to be seen (I would say objectively - no he doesn't).

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Who cares, Fed hadn't really realized his potential at 21. Lol at Djoker being 'on course' to pass Fed and Rafa. He is only a year younger than Rafa and 3 slams behind...

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
This is utter nonsense. This era is weak as fuck considering Shitrev was a top 3 player not long ago and is still a top 10 player. All the big 3 are way declined and still beat Tsitsipas most of the time. Tsitsipas is a great player and may very well Shevardnadze a great career with some slams but I seriously doubt he will come even remotely close to Federer’s career. Those players are just one of a kind and are rare and none of the next gen players are talented enough to be that kind of player.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
This is utter nonsense. This era is weak as fuck considering Shitrev was a top 3 player not long ago and is still a top 10 player. All the big 3 are way declined and still beat Tsitsipas most of the time. Tsitsipas is a great player and may very well Shevardnadze a great career with some slams but I seriously doubt he will come even remotely close to Federer’s career. Those players are just one of a kind and are rare and none of the next gen players are talented enough to be that kind of player.
Have*
No idea how autocorrect formed whatever the hell that is lmao

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Who cares, Fed hadn't really realized his potential at 21. Lol at Djoker being 'on course' to pass Fed and Rafa. He is only a year younger than Rafa and 3 slams behind...
Djokovic ain’t passing Dull and Federer as he’s to far behind and I don’t see him getting more than 1 slam next year as he’s only gonna decline further and the young guys are getting better each year.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
Well, I don't see how you can call this era 'weak' if they've just won a tour championship. At 21. Hewitt did the same in the 2001 Tennis master's cup at 20, a year earlier. Tsitsipas is well on the pace of reaching number one now, he will definitely be a threat to win and break through at any of the slams next year.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts