Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says, I’m trying out even though I’ve never really played or had lessons.
I decided to reverse phone lookup after playing with my friend one day and I thought it was so fun. I heard my school was having tennis nba reddit tryouts so I’m going to try.
Does anyone pcpartpicker have any advice? I’m really worried since this is something I really want to try. Tryouts are in a month

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
If you have never practiced any other racquet sports, you are going to have a torrid time. Most people who start from scratch don't know to coordinate legs and arms together.

My advice would be at first you need to play close to the net or if you can against a wall.

·
11,043 Posts
Get a good foundation of strokes and make sure you keep the ball In play, go for good technique, instead of swinging for the fences

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
748 Posts
My advice to a newbie is to start by watching the ball onto the racket then just push it back into the court. That could sound boring but by getting a few balls over the net and into the court gets you use to seeing how the ball behaves then after a while you can start to do more. As BodyServe said maybe start at the net and just hit a few block volleys into different parts of the court. My first coach said that with tennis it is about timing so you don't need to hit the cover off the ball.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you have a month, find a local instructor and take at least 1 lesson per week. At least you will have the basic understanding of the FH, BH and serving, so even if you aren't the best player the coach may recognize that.

If you have never played before and go in without any training, sorry to tell you but it will be nearly impossible for you to make the team if there are going to be experienced players there.

But, with a month, if you learn the strokes and play against a wall for an hour everyday, you have a chance.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Go with higher net clearance, put the ball in play, focus on correct technique. Play from within service boxes at first until you develop a sense how to hit the ball properly, because your technical development will suffer if you try to hit hard from the start. Get a decent racket to protect yourself from injury, get slower balls at first.

Important: Don't try to copy pro strokes, rather work on fundamentals, which is paramount.

I recommend these guys

And the last, have a lot of patience and understand there is a learning curve. Tennis is highly technical sport, so it will take a lot of time, but the satisfaction of improvement is immense.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Good advice from everyone here.

Something that is overlooked with any sport or activity is try to have fun and enjoy yourself. If you can find someone who is also just starting out then try to meet up regularly so you can play some matches (even if you're hitting balls all over the place and serving like crap). Nothing worse than doing boring ass drills over and over for no reason. If you have some time were you can just let go and have fun you will more than likely stick with the boring stuff that will improve your game. Fact is - you're never going to become a world beater so it's best to just enjoy the process and the matches you play. I'm self-taught but it was off the back of playing my best mate at the time and I couldn't lose to him. So I was sort of determined to improve so I could beat him! Then I became too good for him and started playing at a decent club level. There's always someone better than you no matter how much you improve so just enjoy the matches I say. You will learn and adapt as you play matches.

Also - I would go with a two-handed backhand. IMO it's easier to control. That will come later on anyway as right now you just want to get the ball over the net!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try and roughly learn the right grips for each stroke, that will make it much easier to get the ball in play but if you’re a beginner don’t bother too much with topspin. Most importantly just enjoy yourself and try and hit the ball cleanly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts