Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
I think Rafa enjoys the US Open more than any other slam event.
He looks more emotionally invested at the US Open than elsewhere.
I consider Rafa an American.
So if Rafa is American, and he's right-wing, then he should want to meet President Trump.
Put into standard syllogistic form, your reasoning would be:

All people who are happy in the US are effectively Americans.
Rafa is happy in the US.
Therefore, Rafa is effectively an American.

All right-wing Americans would want to meet Trump.
Rafa is a right-wing American.
Therefore, Rafa would want to meet Trump.

There's a beauty to that, but unfortunately your major premises are complete nonsense. In particular, I'd look forward to Rafa explaining to Donald "build a wall" Trump that people who are happy in the US are effectively Americans.

·
|
14,042 Posts
Put into standard syllogistic form, your reasoning would be:

All people who are happy in the US are effectively Americans.
Rafa is happy in the US.
Therefore, Rafa is effectively an American.

All right-wing Americans would want to meet Trump.
Rafa is a right-wing American.
Therefore, Rafa would want to meet Trump.

There's a beauty to that, but unfortunately your major premises are complete nonsense. In particular, I'd look forward to Rafa explaining to Donald "build a wall" Trump that people who are happy in the US are effectively Americans.
Nobody knows Rafa, so all we can do is speculate-
So if Rafa is American, and he's right-wing, then he should want to meet President Trump.
And there is nothing wrong with speculation.
Nobody would be posting here if speculation was outlawed....

·
Registered
901 Posts
Nobody knows Rafa, so all we can do is speculate-
And there is nothing wrong with speculation.
Nobody would be posting here if speculation was outlawed....
Speculate to your heart's content. But there's no need to dress up your speculations with pseudo-logic.

And incidentally, not all right-wing Americans would want to meet President Trump. For example, a lot of evangelicals might think of him as a useful idiot for furthering their agenda, but they nonetheless think he's a repugnant human being.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well, I agree with everyone arguing Rafa will decline the invitation. With that said, I couldn't help but imagine the conversation taking place should Nadal accept.

Trump: (With a big smile on his face) "Welcome, Mr. Nadal. What a great pleasure to see you here in the white house. This is a place for winners, you know, and you are one of the most victorious ever. I like that. Let me shake your hand."

Nadal: (Shaking Trump's hand somewhat hesitantly) "Yes, I have won a few victories, but not always, no? A man cannot always win, gotta accept the losses also, no?"

Trump: (Somewhat less heartily) "Yes, perhaps. Sometimes bad men, like the Clintons, Obamas, and Romneys of this world pull a fast one on you. Actually, the last one is the worst, calling himself a republican, that sneaking traitor."

Nadal: (Looking at Trump with some hesitance) "Well, I'm not a politician, just a sportsman..."

Trump: "Of course, of course. I won't bother you with my little problems. Let's talk about tennis. It seems you gonna catch up with Federer, and be the greatest ever. Truly amazing, truly amazing... The Swiss were neutral in world war II, I have never liked them. And the Serbs...." Trump shakes his head "... well, let's just say that they are not exactly a trusted ally like Spain."

Nadal: "We are still talking tennis, no?"

Trump: "Sure we are, sure we are... by the way, how do you manage to always win in Paris? Those Frenchies are bad men, bad men, not easy to deal with. Someone told me that this self-righteous so-called president of theirs told some bad lies about me... not easy to deal with those Frenchies."

Nadal: (Looking at Trump slowly shaking his head) "To tell the truth, I have not always won in Paris. But knowing I'm there to play tennis, helps, no? Just focusing on the task at hand."

Trump: (Giving Nadal a pat on the shoulder) "You're a very smart man, a very smart man, I can hear that. Not like their loser president, Macron, marrying a woman that could be his mother, what's that all about? A real man should date younger women. How old is that wife of yours, by the way?"

Nadal: "Xisca? She is younger than me, but only two years. But there are more important things than age, no?"

Trump. (Looking slightly discontent) "Well, maybe there is, maybe there is... and who you're married to doesn't matter that much in your case, does it? I bet you can have any woman you like, a great athlete like yourself?"

Nadal: "I don't know... doesn't matter much now when I'm a married man, no?"

Trump: (looking at Rafa with disbelief) "You must be kidding me... are you telling me you don't fool around with others. What good does this do? You should do like I do, just grab..."

The door opens, and the chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, enters.

Mulvaney: "Mr. President, I'm sorry to bother you, we have a national emergency, you must come to the situation room immediately."

Trump: (looking angrily at Mulvaney) "What have I told you about disturbing me when I have a celebrity guest? Let the secretary of defense handle whatever you're talking about, Rafa and I have important matters to discuss, important matters to discuss. "

·
justice for all
12,885 Posts
Seriously now - Rafa would have to be really silly to attend to this meeting. Cause he's not THAT silly (and he has Xisca by his side to advise him) so he'll probably decline. And that would be the best decision.

·
|
14,042 Posts
Speculate to your heart's content. But there's no need to dress up your speculations with pseudo-logic.

And incidentally, not all right-wing Americans would want to meet President Trump. For example, a lot of evangelicals might think of him as a useful idiot for furthering their agenda, but they nonetheless think he's a repugnant human being.
I never said ALL right-wing Americans would want to meet President Trump.
I said if he's right-wing, then he SHOULD want to meet President Trump.....just as you said a lot of evangelicals MIGHT think of him etc.
See I'm allowing you to speculate on what evangelicals are thinking, because I'm not outlawing speculation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Correction...i owned everyone on TTW and they couldnt handle it so they blocked some of my accounts...still there though lol.

However this is a bigger forum so much higher audience here.

I always win.
Or maybe you just cannot behave like a mature person

·
Registered
117 Posts
I sent an invitation to Black House, which is my caslte, to the email address which looked like his. Somehow I was refused. I mean I received a message which goes "Who the hell are you?" It was quite disappointing and would have loved to hear something nice, but I gotta respect his schedule and if he's not up to it, I gotta let him go his way. I will invtite him again another time. Hopefully I will get a good answer then.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts