Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a time for Italian tennis! Even Travaglia beating the likes of Nishikori in a 5-setter... :O

·
Registered
17,950 Posts
Nishikori is a complete shell of the player he once (even last year, or just 2 years ago) was.
Nothing more needs to be said here.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Looked to have some arm/shoulder pain, still that BH volley miss on MP was shameful.

Should have made him serve it out.

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
I don't know what happened to Nishikori but he was outgunned in the baseline by someone seemingly not that powerful in his shots.
Actually Travaglia hit very fast

·
Registered
59,358 Posts
Nadal's draw is now comical to the point it might actually hurt him, no one who could make the semi of a 250 til the QF.

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
It hurts but kei looks more and more done :((((

·
Registered
174 Posts
Could see this coming from a mile away. You live by 5-setters, you die by 5-setters. Even with his great 5-set record, he plays entirely too many of them in the early rounds of majors. That being said, he didn't even look remotely close to his top level since he came back Kitzbuhel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is it just me? Didn't Nishikori's serve get even slower when he came back? His average 1st serve speed in this match was below 100 mph, which is pretty much the average on WTA tour isn't it? I heard he's been working on his serve with Max, his new coach and a former big server. I can see some change in his serving motion but I don't see it paying off at all at the moment.

·
Registered
711 Posts
T nearly died after falling down the stairs years ago and slashing his arm. Now he’s very good at the French Open!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,337 Posts
Is it just me? Didn't Nishikori's serve get even slower when he came back? His average 1st serve speed in this match was below 100 mph, which is pretty much the average on WTA tour isn't it? I heard he's been working on his serve with Max, his new coach and a former big server. I can see some change in his serving motion but I don't see it paying off at all at the moment.
Well he used to have a javelin serve, moved to platform stance in 2018. That produced more powerful serves including a record best 24 aces in 4 sets (Wimbledon). This serve he has now loses power and precision, every pt on serve seemed to extend to long rallies, inevitable handicap. 110mph used to be his first serve average. If it's now 100mph or under, that's very bad, and something he must work on.

Also the surface helps defensive grinding, not many balls Kei could cleanly hit winners off even while getting his opponent out of position.

He could have won in 4 if not for that TB brainfart. He probably wasn't accustomed to getting such short replies following a serve he overcooked that FH on SP. Fifth set he did seem out of it, and gave Travaglia so many options to use his FH inside in, which was quite effective.

Travaglia should be able to win 6 games off Nadal, you'd think, if he plays like in set 5.

·
justice for all
16,245 Posts
The match was decided in 3rd set TB where Kei had two SP-s and squandered them beautifully.
Maybe Travaglia is not a top talent but he's a hard-working player, who's very quick and has a good FH. Good win for him but next round is end of the road.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Nadal's draw is now comical to the point it might actually hurt him, no one who could make the semi of a 250 til the QF.
Lol do you think it would have been less comical if Nishikori made it? Come on.

Nadal-Nishikori on clay is one of the most painful things to watch if you care for the sport of tennis. I'm very happy Travaglia came through.

I still agree that Nadal's draw till the Semis is a joke, of course. Let's hope that he will meet Thiem or Schwartzman in the Semis at least.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Lol do you think it would have been less comical if Nishikori made it? Come on.

Nadal-Nishikori on clay is one of the most painful things to watch if you care for the sport of tennis. I'm very happy Travaglia came through.

I still agree that Nadal's draw till the Semis is a joke, of course. Let's hope that he will meet Thiem or Schwartzman in the Semis at least.
If Nishikori was in form and well rested then it would've been a decent match. Are you forgetting Madrid 14? Nishikori was dominating Nadal until the injury. But yeah current Nishikori would be a feast for Nadal

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
If Nishikori was in form and well rested then it would've been a decent match. Are you forgetting Madrid 14? Nishikori was dominating Nadal until the injury. But yeah current Nishikori would be a feast for Nadal
Oh COME ON! You seriously want to compare Madrid with Roland Garros.

Nishikori was always one of the biggest pigeons for Nadal, he just lacks the firepower and he can't handle the spin. Last time they met at RG 2019 Nadal lost 5 games in the QF. I'm sure Nadal would rather play against Nishikori than Travaglia.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts