Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towelling down is approaching ridiculous levels. After every fucken point and I mean every fucken point players go for the towel. Something has got to be done surely.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
I saw Rafa towel off after an ace :eek:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I agree. I can understand it when it's really hot and humid. Unfortunately it's happening at indoor tournaments as well. And after every single point, even if it's an ace. I saw one guy doing this at a local tournament here so even the club players are slowly adopting this habit.

·
Your visions will happen
48,517 Posts
It is mental, people. To take a break.

Even after an ace, you gotta wipe off and think about the next point and calm your nerves.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
When the top two players have no sense of sportsmanship, this is what happens. Next there will be a buttpicking/roaring epidemic.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I agree. Play should be continuos. The players get a bit of a break every couple of games, that should be enough.

It is a mental thing, for players to clear the thoughts, but they're just taking the piss at this stage.

·
Registered
872 Posts
When the top two players have no sense of sportsmanship, this is what happens. Next there will be a buttpicking/roaring epidemic.
What, you don't do this already? Whenever my opponent double faults, I always yell, do a fist pump, and then stare at him like an MMA fighter. Gets me fired up.

Reactions: Harmless

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is mental, people. To take a break.

Even after an ace, you gotta wipe off and think about the next point and calm your nerves.

No wonder players take 30 seconds between points. I bet the likes of Borg and Johnny Mac did not pussy foot around looking for a damn towel they did not need. It did them no harm did it. You don't need a towel to decide where to serve or which serve to hit. That decision takes 3 or 5 seconds. Players have to cut down on the towel trips. After 3 or 4 points I can understand but almost every point, you can't defend that.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
What, you don't do this already? Whenever my opponent double faults, I always yell, do a fist pump, and then stare at him like an MMA fighter. Gets me fired up.
When my opponent gets an ace, I tip toe up the line, squint, shake my head an tip toe back to the baseline. I also sprint on the change of ends.

Reactions: Harmless

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
this will never be enforced. They'll down for 40 seconds if they can.

If it weren't for copyright violations, I would set up a business selling atp matches with all the toweling down and change-overs cut out.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
When you start seeing atrocious club level players doing this, you know that it has gotten out of hand. Nothing more pathetic than seeing some 50 year old, overly serious, delusional clown act like the top players.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
if it was upto me it would be banned to towel down during a game. the ball kids have enough to do without having dirty towels thrown at them and players need to get on with tennis.

speed up the game please.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
if it was upto me it would be banned to towel down during a game. the ball kids have enough to do without having dirty towels thrown at them and players need to get on with tennis.

speed up the game please.
That is exactly what makes me cringe each time I see it. The way most players just throw the sweaty towel right at the ballkid's head while they stand at attention with their hands behind their back, not even looking behind to check what they're doing. :facepalm: It's very, very disrespectful and those kids seriously do not need to be dealing with that.:mad:

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Ballkids should wipe their arses with the towels before they hand them back to the players...

have a nice dose of stink eye you stupid pricks

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
I swear some of you have a serious case of sweat fetish. It's a health and safety issue. I don't want to see the players all drenched in sweat. It's unbecoming. This is a gentleman's sport after all.

BTW the ballkids would keep those towels as souvenirs if they could. Some would probably auction them on ebay...unwashed.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I believe I saw Roddick towel off after an ace in the first point of a match. I think to a lot of players, it's more of a mental thing, part of a routine they have to do before they serve.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts