Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where I should put this question on the MTF forums (and the moderators are free to move it if it should be somewhere else), but for those of you who have attended both ATP Tour qualifying matches and ATP Challenger Tour events, which of the two do you think is more worthwhile to attend? I ask in part because I'm giving serious thought to attending one or both days of qualifying for the 2015 Citi Open in Washington, DC (ATP 500 event, WTA International event) in early August, and also am considering attending the semifinals for the 2015 Binghamton Challenger (a $50K event) in late July depending on the matchups. (I live about 3 miles from the Citi Open tournament site and have attended a handful of sessions in past years but never qualifying, and I'll be visiting my parents in eastern Pennsylvania the weekend the Binghamton Challenger concludes; Binghamton is about 2 hours from my parents' house. I haven't yet attended any Challenger events in person.)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Your visions will happen
48,563 Posts
As someone who has seen them both first-hand, they will DEFINITELY both be worth your while, time, and money

Binghamton being a 2 hr drive, well yes it would depend on matchups to see if it will be worth it or not. If you are looking for a high level of tennis play then that is guaranteed regardless of who makes it. Don't think just because a guy is 200-300 ATP that he is bad, it will be a fantastic level to watch.

And the the Washington 500 qualies you will probably see a good number of top 100-150 guys and hell, you may even see some of the same guys in both Binghamton and Washington! Tennis is a very small world! :D

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Johnny Groove - thanks for your feedback. I know you are definitely right about possibly seeing some of the same players at Binghamton and the Washington qualies; last year for example Sergiy Stakhovsky (who won Binghamton), Marius Copil, and Jared Donaldson (plus possibly a few other guys) played in both Binghamton and DC, and the latter two players played in the Citi Open qualifying tournament. This year, I wouldn't be surprised if younger guys like Donaldson and Francis Tiafoe (who is from the DC area and got a wild-card into the Citi Open main draw last year) as well as veterans like Stakhovsky play both Binghamton and DC (the two cities are about 4 1/2 to 5 hours apart, and there is a week between the end of the Binghamton tournament and the beginning of the DC tournament).

Obviously attending DC qualifying would be a lot easier for me than attending Binghamton; I literally can get to the Fitzgerald Tennis Center where the Citi Open is played in 10-15 minutes taking a local transit bus from my apartment (which stops less than a 5 minute walk away from where I live and a 2-3 minute walk from the DC tournament site). On the other hand, the Binghamton event might have some very young up and comers participating; both Thanasi Kokkinakis and Jared Donaldson played in the tournament last year (though neither made the semifinals) and past winners include Kei Nishikori (2010) and Andy Murray (2005).

For whatever it is worth, I should note that Charlottesville, VA (about 2 hours from where I live) also has had a Challenger event in recent years, and I might consider going to that event, though that tournament is late in the tennis season (late October/early November last year) and during football season. (I'm a big NFL fan and also follow college football, and increasingly attend a handful of NFL and college games every season.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts