Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
justice for all
19,969 Posts
Jaime Yzaga from Peru, CHR 13, won junior RG, the shortest player to reach a slam QF until Diego Schwartzman. In USO 1995 beat back-to-back two previous US finalists in Pioline and Sampras coming back from 0-2 and 1-2 sets deficit. Beat Sampras in USO twice in fact (first in 1988 also in 5 sets - first ever Sampras slam MD appearance).

Face Tennis Sports equipment Arm Photograph

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Franco Davin- the Argentinian won 3 career titles and reached a high of 30 in the rankings. Reached FO qf in 1991 beating one Marian Vajda in the 3rd round in a 5 setter. Best known for coaching Gaston Gaudio and Juan Martin Del Potro to their only grand slam titles.
I hesitated with him and Stoltenberg. :D
I was also thinking to Philip Dewulf, but it seemed to me too easy.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would say Juan Albert Viloca. Somehow made the top 50 in 1997 but was only top 70 for seven weeks. He was suspended for two months in 2005 after testing positive for hydroxyprednisolone.

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,306 Posts
Marc-Kevin Goellner

Sports uniform Sports equipment Tennis player Tennis Tennis racket

Born in Brazil due to his father being a diplomat, even his family name couldn't be correctly registered there (Göllner originally), as Brazilian Portuguese orthography wouldn't allow it.
Only 2 career titles, but beat Edberg/Lendl and Corretja (2 RG greats) for those small clay titles, in 1993 Nice as qualifier. Also part of the 1993 German DC winning team, triumphing in important singles rubbers in QF: vs Korda (CZE), semis: vs Edberg (SWE) and final: Stoltenberg (AUS).
Best results in a slam was R4 in RG, losing to quarterfinalist A. Medvedev.
CHR 26 in April 1994.
In doubles he was RG runner-up with David Prinosil, a Czech turned German in 1993 and won together bronze in doubles at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 (lost to Broad/Henman in the semis).
According to wikipedia retired in 2004, but still played a few matches at Futures level in 2005 and 2008.
Considered a "tennis dad" in Germany and a DC legend, along with Stich and Becker. Nowadays he has a tennis academy in Köln (Cologne).

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Marc-Kevin Goellner

View attachment 370991

Born in Brazil due to his father being a diplomat, even his family name couldn't be correctly registered there (Köllner originally), as Brazilian Portuguese orthography wouldn't allow it.
Only 2 career titles, but beat Edberg/Lendl and Corretja (2 RG greats) for those small clay titles, in 1993 Nice as qualifier. Also part of the 1993 German DC winning team, triumphing in important singles rubbers in QF: vs Korda (CZE), semis: vs Edberg (SWE) and final: Stoltenberg (AUS).
Best results in a slam was R4 in RG, losing to quarterfinalist A. Medvedev.
CHR 26 in April 1994.
In doubles he was RG runner-up with David Prinosil, a Czech turned German in 1993 and won together bronze in doubles at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 (lost to Broad/Henman in the semis).
According to wikipedia retired in 2004, but still played a few matches at Futures level in 2005 and 2008.
Considered a "tennis dad" in Germany and a DC legend, along with Stich and Becker. Nowadays he has a tennis academy in Köln (Cologne).
I remember a match against peak Muster at the French Open, he pushed Muster to 4 or 5 if I remember correctly. Was always wearing the hat backwards.

edit: just double checked, this wasn't peak Muster, that year Muster was 11-9 on clay 😖

1 - 20 of 83 Posts