1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this small article on Toronto's official website
www.masters-series.com/canada

07/26/02 - Guga - A National Sports Hero

It doesn't matter where he plays because he is truly a fan favourite all over the world. He loves the crowd so much that he drew a heart in the clay after winning his third French Open title in 2001. However, Gustavo "Guga" Kuerten receives his greatest support from his native Brazil, where he is a national hero.

The former number one player in the world was named Brazil's Athlete of the Year in 1999 and 2000. Last year, the Brazilian government created a postage stamp in his honour.

The 25-year-old Kuerten has not played much in 2002. He underwent hip surgery in February. Despite the injury, Kuerten is always a threat. Need proof? He has 16 career singles titles, including the 2000 Tennis Masters Cup. He has also won eight career doubles titles. He has earned more than $13 million since turning pro in 1995.

Kuerten will be making his fifth Tennis Masters Canada appearance, where he was a finalist in 1997.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guga faces defending champion Pavel in the first round, for the right of playing either Chela or Safin. :mad:
Well, my furstration is already left in the TMS Toronto forum, so, lets be objective. Andrei is a good player, but he is a better draw then, say, Rusedski. This is because Guga has major problems facing net players. Pavel stays back most of the time, and Guga leads their head-to-head 6-0. :eek: I didnt notice that before! lol :p
Anyway, its a tough match. Fingers crossed, and lets wait for how Guga responds to this. :)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Btw, just something I noticed now, 5 of those 6 wins were on clay, so that explains it. The other win was on Lyon (carpet) in that incredible 2000 year-end run. ;)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
440 Posts
Impressive! I have my hopes!

I really believe Guga will win and face Safin next

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
GUGA WILL WIN AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guga is not scheduled for Monday, so his first match is Tuesday. :)

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another article from Toronto´s official site

07/29/02

Kuerten Must Rise to Pavel Challenge
By Eleanor Preston, Tennis Radio Network

A packed day two of the Tennis Masters Canada event will see a host of big names take to the courts with Gustavo Kuerten's first round tie against defending champion Andrei Pavel the marquee match of the day.

Having recovered from the back problems which kept him out of Wimbledon, Kuerten will be keen to build on last week's run to the quarter-finals of the Mercedes-Benz Cup in Los Angeles, while Pavel will like his chances at an event he played so well at a year ago. Both men boast blistering one-handed backhands but the quick hard courts may just favour the Romanian. Either way it presents the toughest of first round draws for both players.

Current Champions' Race No.2 Marat Safin will also have his work cut out when he takes on talented Argentinean Juan-Ignacio Chela but his record in Toronto - he won when the event was last played here in 2000 - will give him plenty of confidence.

Tommy Haas already has one Masters Series title under his belt having won the title in Stuttgart at the end of last year, and was beaten by Andre Agassi in the Rome final, so he knows all about raising his game at these elite tournaments. Haas, who was forced to miss Wimbledon when his parents were badly hurt in a motorcycle accident, opens against Canadian wildcard Frederic Niemeyer.

America's Andy Roddick is one of the rising stars of the ATP circuit and will doubtless be keen to make a splash here in Canada. Roddick, who celebrates his 20th birthday in a month, opens the evening session against Dominik Hrbaty.

1996 Wimbledon winner Richard Krajicek is one of six Grand Slam champions in action on Tuesday. Krajicek, Kuerten, Safin, Carlos Moya, Yevgeny Kafelnikov and reigning Roland Garros champion Albert Costa have all taken tennis' biggest prizes and start their Toronto campaigns today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts