Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really quite an entertaining match. Wawrinka's groundstrokes were pretty poor (39 UEs) but he served great, particularly when facing MP at 4-5 in the third set, just slapped down aces. Paire volleyed excellently all match, mixed in some nice S&V, unfortunately when it got the tiebreak he gave away the minibreak with a dreadful missed volley. Still, Paire played the best match I've seen from him in ages, hopefully his injury woes are behind him now.

·
Registered
57,773 Posts
Very very clutch, back to back aces at 4-5 30-40.

Horrible first set followed by two of the best sets all year. Amazing third.

Paire out of the top 100

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
not satisfied with Slamwrinka

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
classic match :p Both clowned a fair bit here. While that's expected from Paire, Stan really must improve if he wants to go far here. I understand that it's his first match in a while, but Paire could (and, frankly, should) have won this. His first set was dreadful. He had some good moments in the second/third, but there were many random errors as well. Roll on, Fognini/Anderson.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Paire plays a great match and then in that final set tie breaker he played a few shockers....definitely good to see him playing well again but I just don't think Paire ever thought he could win that tie breaker, no belief in himself these days....maybe he needs to do a Baghdatis and try challengers

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I feel sorry for Paire. Felt like he had the momentum near the end of the third set, but Wawrinka turned it around quite impressively.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
According to tiebreak100 sources, Wawrinka had been prancing around Toronto in a 'Stan the Man' t-shirt.

Sad to see Paire lose this. I am sure we all agree.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Poor match for the most part but it picked up towards the end, the ending was great stuff and Wawrinka really picked it up. Wawrinka needs to step it up otherwise Raonic,Novak and Federer will destroy him with ease.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paire plays a great match and then in that final set tie breaker he played a few shockers....definitely good to see him playing well again but I just don't think Paire ever thought he could win that tie breaker, no belief in himself these days....maybe he needs to do a Baghdatis and try challengers
Agreed. His head completely went after that awful volley.

That said he was probably dejected by how Wawrinka completely did a 180 in the game where he had match point, Stan hit some horrendous errors and he was surely thinking he had it in the bag at that point.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
It was entertaining until Wawrinka decided to send every ball to Paire's FH. Then it became painful to watch.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
It was entertaining until Wawrinka decided to send every ball to Paire's FH. Then it became painful to watch.
took him a couple of years and a few sets to figure that out :haha:
Wawrinka couldn't return 130khm SS standing 5 meters behind the baseline
the passing shot that gave Paire the break back in the third :eek:

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
true Paire has one of the best BH in the game, but the FH is very poor..
how many times I've heard that. according to my calculations more than 20 players so far have "one of the best BH in the game"...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Unreal how Stan couldn't figure out to simply attack Pear's fh. Pear's fh surely must be the worst stroke in the top 100.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts