Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:banghead:

Sock was clearly the better player outside of any sort of pressure situation.

Fitting to see Lubo there actually. At times it felt like looking at lesser, versions of a young Andy Roddick v. Ivan Ljubicic.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Re: Toronto R2: Raonic Def. Sock 4-6, 7-6, 7-6

As a wise man once said Sock suck at all.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
dafaq was that horrible chopped FH on MP :facepalm:

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
polarisgalaxy in tremendous ruins.

Dire mentality from Sock as usual. Had to laugh at how desperate he was to run around those backhands too. Won't ever do anything of note with a bh that poor.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
terrible result. jack was the better player in most situations but made stupid errors on most of the big points. he could have been a double break up in that 3rd set

NID he'd lose after he missed 15-40 twice in a row

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
Whew, that was nerve wracking, thank god for Raonic mental strength because without it he'd be losing a lot lately, the little bit if a return game he has he needs to start playing better with it.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Sock Summary: Most of the match: Great. Break points: Bad. Tiebreaker: Bad.

By the third set in general his shot selection was getting increasingly sloppier (though nothing as bad as that second set tb). He needs to strengthen up that backhand side more so he's not so damn desperate to run around it so often. Some of those points he was losing an edge by how late he was hitting the ball once he got there. His shot-selection isn't quite disciplined enough just yet either. Sometimes going for broke from off positions to try and force something to happen - really unnecessary against a player like Raonic.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Travesty how Sock lost this, was the better player but as is normally the case the servebot takes the tie breaks to win the match. Suppose it's good for the tournament with the home favourite winning. Milos showed great resillience to stay in there, he was for most parts second best in this match. Milos needs to improve to go further here but I am sure he will.

·
Administrator
14,824 Posts
Raonic found a way to win when not playing well, which really has been his signature this year. Sock continues to improve but lost the big points.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Sock :eek:

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
What a choke from Sock. He was the better player in this match, undoubtedly. Choked really hard though.

Ronic really is not a good tennis player. If that guy is the 6th best player in the world then tennis has some serious issues. His ground stokes are pretty much non existent. All he can do is hit his forehand as hard as he can and hope for the best, very little skill or craft involved. His return is a joke. His movement around the court is awkward at best. However, he does know how to hit a serve and apparently in 2014 that is all you need to be a top 10 player.

Sad times for the sport.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts

Sock was clearly the better player outside of any sort of pressure situation.

Fitting to see Lubo there actually. At times it felt like looking at lesser, versions of a young Andy Roddick v. Ivan Ljubicic.
I agree.... He like a young Roddick but I think his level still far away

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Disgusting match. :facepalm:

Raonic was playing bad, very nervous and wasn't even servebotting well for most of the match. Sock was the best player in the match, but every single time he had a chance in the 2nd and 3rd sets he failed miserably. Idiotic mistakes, terrible decisions, 2 horrible tie-breaks.

This guy should leave this match directly to the electric chair, guilty of failing to save tennis. No appeal!

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Had this match on in the background. From what I saw it looked like any player with half a brain would have despatched Raonic with ease tonight. Head scratchingly bad shot selection from Sock in the TBs :facepalm:.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
That was a really painful match to watch if you were, like me, rooting for Sock. The key play in the match was when he shanked a forehand on break point in the third set instead of hitting a winner. But Sock is playing with confidence and will break through soon, I believe. He can compete with the top players, but just needs to get a little stronger mentally.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts