Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Murray far too good. Too much variety in his game, moved Kyrgios around and didn't let him get comfortable. Murray in control the whole way through the match basically. And he served well in the 1st set especially which is a good sign.

Keep it up as the competition gets tougher please.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
tennis future doesn't look so bright right now

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Kyrgios obviously wasn't playing at his Wimbledon level, Murphy made him hit an extra shot and that was enough.

Time to polish your game Nick.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I've had a feeling that the US open series will see Murray get back to his best and I'm ever more confident after seeing this match.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Murray actually looks match fit for the first time all year and can serve again, looks like he's been training hardcore since Wimbledon.

I think the people who wrote Murray off are about to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
Good result. 62% second serve points won by Murray, even though he was rolling it in as usual - again demonstrating that Kyrgios' return of serve needs serious work. He only broke Nadal once at Wimbledon, which is why he predictably failed against Raonic.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
I've had a feeling that the US open series will see Murray get back to his best and I'm ever more confident after seeing this match.
then again you've always had those feelings...

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Kyrgios has done well to rise up the rankings but he is very one dimensional and a healthy Murray was always going to expose that.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
too easy for Murray. I liked his game today (tbf I'm starting to like Murray, haha). Kyrgios too naive, too raw and limited to compete with Andy at this level. His backhand and return looked very weak, much improvement needed.
Andy was very solid, moving Kyrgios around and stopping him from finding any form. Serve, forehand looked rather fine, maybe he is finding good form again. Let's see him again someone better though.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Expected, Kyrgios doesn´t have consistency in rallies, return and deffense, has to learn a lot, but good for the game we need more and more young players coming from juniors-challengers to main tour. Murray was good, we can skip this few rounds and have QF Murray vs Nole

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Murray far too good. Too much variety in his game, moved Kyrgios around and didn't let him get comfortable. Murray in control the whole way through the match basically. And he served well in the 1st set especially which is a good sign.

Keep it up as the competition gets tougher please.
Good assessment. Amelie did her homework on Kyrgios' movement. Murray really didn't give him many opportunities to control proceedings. He kept him on the move frequently, and put him deeper behind the baseline each time, opening up the easy angles.

Yet another day of abysmal returning from Nick. I'm not sure he won a single point on Murray's first serve return in the first. Really something he needs to improve. It also would have been nice to see him try and create more offensive opportunities for himself instead of reluctantly playing as the defender.

Ah well, he'll learn, and Murray should feel good about this.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts