Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Wawrinka still being undefeated at Masters when he truly cares. Nice to see.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Wawa being a garbageman today.

That last point by Gyros though :nerner:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nick was in absolute control until he got that injury... unfortunate. Some people's bodies just won't ever allow them to play to their potential. Cincinnati points coming off next week... hope he and Grigor are prepared for the ranking fall.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Nick was in absolute control until he got that injury... unfortunate. Some people's bodies just won't ever allow them to play to their potential. Cincinnati points coming off next week... hope he and Grigor are prepared for the ranking fall.
I like NK, but is it really his body's fault? Do we have any reason to believe he works hard off the court, eats right, stays in shape and stretches thoroughly and regularly? All of that helps prevent injury.

Good win for Stan. Hopefully he can win again tomorrow. Nadal will likely be way too much at the moment.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Bizarre match, not only the match point. Kyrgios started to look flat after a while but still kept on blasting 220+ km/h aces and occasional outrageous winners almost till the end of the match. Stan should be pleased with this, but Vekic even more so.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
To think that people thought Kyrgios would be a future #1. I'm really not even sure he will ever break into the Top 10. Guy's entire tennis package is the antithesis of consistency..

NK could drop out of Top 30 next week-- a whopping 600 points to defend in Cincy..Talk about another prime year about to be wasted..

·
Super Moderator
18,661 Posts
Stan still looks so far from where he needs to be. Healthy Nick wins this 61 63 or so.

Nick frankly either needs to shut it down for a while or train harder. Hip problems at his age this frequently aren't normal

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Stan still looks so far from where he needs to be. Healthy Nick wins this 61 63 or so.

Nick frankly either needs to shut it down for a while or train harder. Hip problems at his age this frequently aren't normal
"train harder?" from what I read, he doesn't train, period.

His all arm technique (for so many of his shots, very lazy on the footwork) would naturally lead to hip problems.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts

Exactly..People need to stop feeling sorry for him; it is about his work ethics-- his conditioning is awful..

·
Super Moderator
18,661 Posts
"train harder?" from what I read, he doesn't train, period.

His all arm technique (for so many of his shots, very lazy on the footwork) would naturally lead to hip problems.
Exactly..People need to stop feeling sorry for him; it is about his work ethics-- his conditioning is awful..
You hope at some point like Agassi something will click and he'll realize his potential. I used to be a huge fan and proponent of him, but I'm getting more skeptical this will ever happen. Which is a shame.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
You hope at some point like Agassi something will click and he'll realize his potential. I used to be a huge fan and proponent of him, but I'm getting more skeptical this will ever happen. Which is a shame.
Agassi was such a different kind of story--about being forced into tennis by his father and kind of brutalized as a kid by his dad with the ball machine, etc. if you read "Open" it's all there.

There are two articles on NK, on in the NYTs; one in the New Yorker, in the last two years, which kind of unpack his psychology. I disliked him less after reading them, but he keeps re-earning my dislike with his attitude.
He is like the epitome of "bad tennis attitude" on a court.

I heard him once say in a presser "If you want someone who will work hard, train, suffer, etc., I'm not your man."

Another presser: "doesn't love tennis, but it's better than working at Chipolte's"

Knowing this about him, you couldn't expect anything more than what we're seeing. Maybe he's struggling with constant injury too .. his technique--which so many admire for it's casual "I don't give a sht" look, is actually pretty poor, even though it can produce incredible results on individual shots.

Alot of his laziness re. the feet comes from being fat as a kid. No joke. This is the aspect of him that actually makes him more sympathetic to me. But only a wee bit.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts

The hip problem is pretty chronic at this point. He was talking surgery last year already.

Anyway, excessive clowning in the 2nd set is what cost him the victory here. Once Stan got a foothold in the rallies, the task turned so much more difficult. Of course, Wawrinka raised his level (ain't much of an achievement, given how atrocious he was in the 1st), which threw NK off, annoyed and bored at the same time. He has more mood swings than a pregnant woman. It's impossible to know how he'll react to adversity. One game it gives him extreme motivation, the next one it makes him give up completely. He played some ridiculously good points, but you can't pull out a win against a solid opponent off points. You need to be giving it all the entire match, from start to finish. But, he's too cool for that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts