Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
How bad is Sock this year, thought once he got back on HC might turn it around, but no.
Hopes too high. Still has Cincy and USO to come but expect nothing. Hasn't aimed to improve since his big breakthrough.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Sock announced after the loss today that he's retiring from singles to focus on mixed and doubles. :)

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
Hardly, US HC is his bread and butter usually.
If losing to Thompson is an indicator than yeah :D

Anyhow his season has been woeful. Top 10 entrants rarely play this badly. It indicates his level was inflated.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Jack Sock is way too talented to be playing like absolute garbage this season. Seems like neither he or anyone around him cares enough about what's happening, to do something realistic about it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
In response to a comment I made about the terrible 1989-1992 generation in the comments section of a Washington Post article discussing Sascha Zverev's second straight Citi Open title, someone called Jack Sock a marquee player and a great loss for the Citi Open. (Sock criticized the playing surface in DC during last year's tournament and said he may never play the tournament again.) I had to stifle uncontrollable laughter when I saw Sock described as a "marquee player".

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
What baffles me is the vast disparity between Sock's doubles triumphs and singles woes. Wow, when flying solo, the guy is just awful - just 5 wins so far, has yet to win 2 matches in a row. Contrast that with his doubles accomplishments: 4 tournament wins, including a Masters 1000 and a Slam. You'd think all his doubles success would give him at least a itty-bitty shot of confidence on the singles court, but apparently not.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
What baffles me is the vast disparity between Sock's doubles triumphs and singles woes. Wow, when flying solo, the guy is just awful - just 5 wins so far, has yet to win 2 matches in a row. Contrast that with his doubles accomplishments: 4 tournament wins, including a Masters 1000 and a Slam. You'd think all his doubles success would give him at least a itty-bitty shot of confidence on the singles court, but apparently not.
At the rate things are going, I'd rather he stick to doubles, until he makes up his mind that he'll take his fitness and his singles game more seriously.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I watched most of the final set to see how Sock is sucking thesedays.
He didn't play THAT bad at all. He was destroying the balls with his heavy forehand but backhand is weak, played many slices. Medvedev was good and just more solid. Also some clutch serving.

There was a huge game at 4-2. Sock had many BPs and could easily broke if Medvedev didn't play some great defensive shots, I remember one sick forehand slice. :surprise:

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Only watched the middle set where neither player was particularly good. Glad Medvedev got through in the end but he still has a lot of work to do on his game to make it more effective. The commentators observed how passive he seems at times, which I also noted at this past Wimbledon (unlike last year) - waiting for an opponent's mistake rather than taking the initiative himself. Wonder if this is a coaching strategy or an indicator of confidence (or lack of it).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts