Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stef got a bit lucky with Zverev choking, but once again showed great composure and all court tennis to reach his first masters SF. Call me crazy but I think he has a real chance of winning this tournament. What a great season it has been for the young Greek and this is just the beginning. Remember his name....... STEFANOS TSItSIPAS! He is the FUTURE of tennis!

·
Registered
57,591 Posts
Toronto QF: Tsitsipas def. (2) Zverev 3-6 7-6(11) 6-4

Absolutely unreal choke by Zverev, surely the worst of his career. Served for the match, had match points, was up a break in the third, had 30-0 last game. Also had 40-15 if he'd challenged an in ball. Tsitsipas is surely talented, but honestly didn't think he played all that great, Zverev lost this more than he won it.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Re: Toronto QF: Tsitsipas def. [2]Zverev 3-6 7-6(11) 6-4

Tsitsipas will be a fine grand slam champion in a few years, his all-court game, is incredible to watch. Glad to see these younger players stepping up to the plate.

Zverev will carry on doing well the rest of this season I am sure!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Toronto QF: Tsitsipas def. (2) Zverev 3-6 7-6(11) 6-4

Tsitsipas wasn´t that great, he had some great shots, but often followed by amateurish errors
and Zverev gifted him the match with his brainfart Tennis.

Often too passive and not brave enough when it matters

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
What??? I stopped following the match when Zverev was about to serve for the match in the second set. I just assumed it was over. Can not believe he didn’t win this. Anyhow well done Tsistsipas a well deserved masters 1000 semi-finalist

·
Registered
9 Posts

well, Zverev played horrible from the middle of set 2 on. Tsitsipas didn´t win it, Zverev lost it. Plus Tsitsipas was 4 of 4 on break points while Zverev choked away 8 opportunities only in the third set. So Tsitsipas got lucky on that match
btw to call that ball out at 4-5 30-15 is a joke

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

Sometimes when I watch the younger players, I dread the day that Roger, Rafa, Novak and co retire. But I could watch this matchup, I really enjoyed the match, some sloppy stuff in the TB, and some horrible stuff in the 3rd. But I still enjoyed it. Sascha should not have lost that match though, I don't quite know how that happened.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Thank you Sasha!!! Stefanos was my last leg of a high stake multi bet and I don't know how he pulled through with his nonexistent serve (he hit what, one first serve in the 24 point tie-break?) and with so many break points against him, some of them dragging on for 20+ shots. My nerves are shot :|

Incredibly bad from Zverev who should always have won this, he was the best player but was weak as hell when it mattered. :D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts

Third top10 win in this tournament for Stefanos :notworthy:

I hope this guy from Greece will give all heart in matches like today during his whole career. This is great to watch, especially with his game style.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Really bad match. But happy for Tsitsipas, much needed win, showing that he can indeed compete with Zverev at this stage in his development. 6 Top 10 wins before turning 20!!! :woohoo:

It was also orgasmic watching Zverev's amateurish choking, his smashing of his rackets, and his really wild errors toward's the conclusion of the match. Congratulations to Kevin Anderson on his terrific summer which will now seem him reach his first Masters Final :yeah:

·
Registered
4,868 Posts

Zverev was absolutely chocking... Ewww... What a shame for the tournament having someone that was gifted the match + having nastiness week in and week out in SF. Djoko and Zverev need the mentality check ASAP. I am pretty sure Nole just tanked yesterday, even when playing like a total mug, he took a set off him.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Sometimes when I watch the younger players, I dread the day that Roger, Rafa, Novak and co retire. But I could watch this matchup, I really enjoyed the match, some sloppy stuff in the TB, and some horrible stuff in the 3rd. But I still enjoyed it. Sascha should not have lost that match though, I don't quite know how that happened.
I agree. I really enjoyed today's match and I think Zverev-Tsitsipas can be a great rivalry for the next decade. I predict them to play in quite a few big matches.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts

Congrats to Stefanos for hanging in there. I do feel that AZ let that one slip away. Apparently even had a bad call go against him / mugged it by not challenging in the final game, to let it become 30-30 instead of 40-15. Also wondering what the overall points distribution was? I hope this won't sting for long mentally... bit of a let down. Tsitsipas on the other hand riding a long long wave of decent performances. Wonder how much he has left in the tank? Have Kanderson as the favorite going in, but Tsitsi should have a decent chance.

edit. I liked the impact of the shot clock at one point. Some might disagree that it doesn't allow the players to fully recharge, but I digged that aspect. Tsitsi was forced to play an adventurous drop shot which didn't pan out.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts

It was time Zverev was put to his place... though he could have won in 2 sets.
In 2nd set Tsitsipas made an unexpected comeback, broke back, leveled the score and then reached the TB... which ensued much drama and Zverev choked again.
After that his level was no more the same, he was all over the place, though the Greek kept gifting him BPs by many UEs... which he then saved time and again.
Then the last game came... and Zverev couldn't handle the pressure serving for staying in the match! :lol:

Absolutely thrilling mental performance by Tsitsipas, he never gave up, even when all odds were going against him in 2nd set. Though he could have won easier, hit way too many UEs in 3rd set.

·
Registered
546 Posts

Tsitsipas 4-4 on BP
Zverev 5-14 on BP

That about tells you all you need to know. Stefanos has an elite mental game at 19. He is something special and he deserves more hype.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Yes, Sasha choked without a doubt. Terrible match on his part. As with Hasse and Shapovalov, the former didn't win so much as the match was given to him. Same here. Sasha couldn't convert match points. Even served for the match and choked. Ah well, it happens to the best of them. Still, Tsitsipas really hung in there, and he deserves credit for that. He'll be top 20 by Monday, and that's pretty amazing!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

Stefanos really showed courage and determination to stay in that match and it paid off. Alex had his chances to win it and he will be regretting not taking them. Fortune favours the brave they say though and Stefanos was certainly that.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

Absolutely unreal choke by Zverev, surely the worst of his career. Served for the match, had match points, was up a break in the third, had 30-0 last game. Also had 40-15 if he'd challenged an in ball. Tsitsipas is surely talented, but honestly didn't think he played all that great, Zverev lost this more than he won it.

Satan pretty much has #1 locked up now I'd think, especially if he beats Cilic tonight.
Satan :haha:
Tsitsipas looks about like cliche Jesus a bit.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts