Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A great win and performance by the most talented youngster. I know Thiem had viral infection, but even if he didn't, Tsitsipas still probably would have won. He has really come a long way this season and a top 20 year end finish in on the cards.

As for Thiem, I hope he doesn't qualify for the ATP finals. Nothing against him, but he is useless off clay and he would only be a spectator at the year end championships, so I'm hoping he doesn't qualify.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Tragic to watch really, both players (especially Thiem) were returning worse than any junior and if not for Thiem erroring away his serve in the first this match would have ended without breaks. Apart from the horrendous returning this wasn't exactly what I would call a bad match quality-wise, but it was just sooo boring and anti-climatic to watch. Definitely the worst Thiemtsipas so far in terms of entertainment.

Anyway, seems like Domi and Canada will never get along. He now has a 0-5 record here after a loss against dream matchup Simon in 14, a choke in 15, a retirement in 16, another choke in 17, and a defeat after a viral infection in 18.

·
Registered
546 Posts
As for Thiem, I hope he doesn't qualify for the ATP finals. Nothing against him, but he is useless off clay and he would only be a spectator at the year end championships, so I'm hoping he doesn't qualify.
He's the guy you would pray is in your group :lol:. Great win for Stef now we'll see how he does vs Nole.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I hate it when two players I like have to play against each other. Sorry Thiem was sick, but Cloren's comment is oh so true.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Can't take Thiem seriously off clay.
How can he be taken seriously off of clay if he only ever seems to want to play on clay? If there was a clay tournament the week before the USO, Thiem would definitely be entered into it.

I said he'd be be walking bye, sick or not. And until he actually learns to manage his schedule like a top 10 player should and stop overplaying, he'll never be a serious contender on HCs.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
A great win and performance by the most talented youngster. I know Thiem had viral infection, but even if he didn't, Tsitsipas still probably would have won. He has really come a long way this season and a top 20 year end finish in on the cards.

"I know Thiem had a viral infection".

The number of times and tournaments that Thiem claims he has some sort of sickness is unreal. If you went back through this season and last season it happens like every couple of events. I.e. it's bullshit

not a shocking result. We all know about Dominic and HC, and Tsit hits big.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
Only saw the tiebreak. Some decent rallies in it, though Tsitsipas seemed like the better player and prevailed. Wish I saw more of this one, it was 1 of the higher matches on my want to see list but the rain caused it to be timed almost perfectly together with Denis' match.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Even by Thiem's HC muggery standards, this was the most pathetic return display I've ever seen from him (and I've seen a lot of pathetic ones). Stefanos dropped his first point on serve in the second set at 4*-5 40-0 - winning the previous 19 points :|

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
"I know Thiem had a viral infection".

The number of times and tournaments that Thiem claims he has some sort of sickness is unreal. If you went back through this season and last season it happens like every couple of events. I.e. it's bullshit

not a shocking result. We all know about Dominic and HC, and Tsit hits big.
Oh yeah, he lied about having fever just two days before the match to take pressure off himself. But that's not even it, he also faked being exhausted after a semi-tiring rally in the first set by resting his hands on knees, something I have never seen him do so far (let alone in a first set). A truly gifted actor this Dominic Thiem, respect.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
How can he be taken seriously off of clay if he only ever seems to want to play on clay. If there was a clay tournament the week before the USO, Thiem would definitely be entered into it.

I said he'd be be walking bye, sick or not. And until he actually learns to manage his schedule like a top 10 player should and stop overplaying, he'll never be a serious contender on HCs.
If the last two weeks are anything to go by winning on clay isn't a given either. I really thought Thiem was going to become a threat to the top players, and maybe he will, but his development does seem to have stalled.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Sadly didn't see this match, or much tennis in general yesterday, but it turned out pretty much as expected :cool: Really impressed by Tsitsipas' progress so far in 2018, at this rate I'm starting to think a deep slam run within the next year or so is a definite possibility for him.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if Domi will win 5 more matches until end of the season.

Even by Thiem's HC muggery standards, this was the most pathetic return display I've ever seen from him (and I've seen a lot of pathetic ones). Stefanos dropped his first point on serve in the second set at 4*-5 40-0 - winning the previous 19 points :|
That's just embarrassing for Thiem.
Mladenovic and crazy schedule are destroying him :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts