Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Raonic is still young and will most likely make a Grand Slam QF in the future, but how many other players have there been who reached the top 10 of the game but never made a GS QF? And who was the highest ranked to achieve this feat?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Raonic only just got to the top 10. Give him time, he'll be there before long.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Massu, Monaco.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Simon was ranked 7 at the start of 2009 and reached his first QF at AO that year.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I know Raonic is still young and will most likely make a Grand Slam QF in the future, but how many other players have there been who reached the top 10 of the game but never made a GS QF? And who was the highest ranked to achieve this feat?
Best GS results so far:

Tomic 1 QF, 2 4R, 2 3R

Dimitrov 1 QF, 1 3R.

Raonic 4 4R, 4 3R.

so Raonic has 8 3R or higher, Tomic 5 and Dimi 2.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Even better example:

Nishikori: 1 QF, 4 4R and 5 3R.
Yep, with Raonic being a year younger than Nishikori, Dimitrov 5 months younger than Raonic and Tomic almost two years younger than Raonic.

I don't see Nishikori as GS finalist because of his fragile nature and Raonic because of his poor movement, whereas I expect Dimitrov and Tomic to be multiple GS finalists, with the number of their GS titles depending on Thiem's, Kyrgios', Coric's etc. development in the next 3-4 years.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't meaning this thread to be a slight on Raonic's achievements, just wondering how common it is to make the top 10 before reaching a quarter final at a grand slam. Also, kind of sad Srichaphan never made a QF, what a talented player he was.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Was Soderling in top 10 before his famous RG run?

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Here is the complete list:

Carlos Costa (3 4R, 5 3R) #10
Juan Aguilera (1 4R, 2 3R) #7
Juan Monaco (4 4R, 5 3R) #10
Kent Carlsson (2 4R) #6
Nicolas Massu (1 4R, 5 3R) #9
Paradorn Srichaphan (3 4R, 4 3R) #9
Thierry Tulasne (2 4R, 2 3R) #10
Milos Raonic (4 4R, 4 3R) #9

IMO Raonic is the best top 10 without GS Quarterfinals

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Here is the complete list:

Carlos Costa (3 4R, 5 3R) #10
Juan Aguilera (1 4R, 2 3R) #7
Juan Monaco (4 4R, 5 3R) #10
Kent Carlsson (2 4R) #6
Nicolas Massu (1 4R, 5 3R) #9
Paradorn Srichaphan (3 4R, 4 3R) #9
Thierry Tulasne (2 4R, 2 3R) #10
Milos Raonic (4 4R, 4 3R) #9

IMO Raonic is the best top 10 without GS Quarterfinals

best in terms of what? Massu certainly has more career pedigree and Srichaphan as well.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
milos's only shots i feel are at the australian or the US open. I agree it feel like only a matter of time. that being said if he couldnt do it against gasquet last year at the US you wonder who he will need to face to finally break through

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
best in terms of what? Massu certainly has more career pedigree and Srichaphan as well.
this, besides the serve Raonic in mind has no real advantages than them

GRANTED- career wise he will most definitely end up with a better resume than both, but currently no way

1 - 18 of 18 Posts