Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just wonder who are the junior No. 1 of the past ten years and where are they now?

Anyone know?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I know Federer was n1 in '97 or 98, and Roddick in '00.

I think Rios or Phillippoussis were also n1's some years ago.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Gilles Muller (LUX) 2001 ......... Bit early yet
Andy Roddick (USA) 2000....... Top 10
Kristian Pless (DEN) 1999 ..... Top 70
Roger Federer (SUI) 1998 ......... #6
Arnaud Di Pasquale (FRA) 1997.....Top 60
Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) 1996 ... #4
Mariano Zabaleta (ARG) 1995....... Top 20
Federico Browne (ARG) 1994 ..........DUD
Marcelo Rios (CHI) 1993 .......... #1
Brian Dunn (USA) 1992 ................... DUD
Thomas Enqvist (SWE) 1991 ....... #4
Andrea Gaudenzi (ITA) 1990 ...... Top 20

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Thanks Eggy! Federico has basicly done NOTHING!:(

·
Registered
420 Posts
watch out for Gilles Muller... good size and huge strokes from both wings...

Another one to watch from this generation is Swedish Rob Soderling..with his hard serve (poor movement though), he might surprise a few on fast courts...

Argentina also has a new generation of good players coming up, better fit for clay court play, and might challenge Spain's dominance on this surface in the near future..

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Current top ten list
1 Gasquet, Richard FRANCE
2 Baghdatis, Marcos CYPRUS
3 Dabul, Brian ARGENTINA
4 Morel, Clement FRANCE
5 Reid, Todd AUSTRALIA
6 Felder, Marcel URUGUAY
7 Ouahab, Lamine ALGERIA
8 Vilarrubi, Martin URUGUAY
9 Darcis, Steve BELGIUM
10 Soderling, Robin SWEDEN

The only players I find promising out of this bunch is Richard, Brian, Todd, Lamine, and Robin. But I haven't heard much about the 2 Uruguayans.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I confess I have not been impressed by Brian Dabul's and Marcos Baghdatis' games so far....Lamine Ouahab is very talented and Tennis Australia has been investing heavily on Todd Reid for quite sometime now, in hopes of getting a future top player to play alongside Hewitt...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just hate everytime they overhype young juniors. Some kids demonstrate talent early, but that doesn't mean they will be great champions later on. Your peak may come early, but at the same time it may mean you won't last long, look at Martina Hingis now.

In contrast, we talk about Marat Safin is the most talented player of ATP circus, but who has ever heard of him when he played junior tour.

Nowadays, many kids join pro sports not for the love of the game, but fame and money. Few have enough ability to handle them. Besides, all the physical training at such early age cause more injury easily. Everybody wants to be Tiger Woods or Lleyton Hewitt, not many are aware of the price they have to pay.

I just have enough of all the talk of kids genius, why not leave those kids alone and develop their own game until they become great champions.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Chrisie said:
I just have enough of all the talk of kids genius, why not leave those kids alone and develop their own game until they become great champions.
I agree. Roddick will be better player than he is now without those media hypes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts