Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Top 500 ATP Pro JY Aubone has ran a deficit of 40k over two years to play pro tennis full time, per his finances posted here (expenses are itemized by type along with prize money)

http://tennisatlantic.com/2015/05/2...-2015-update-7-the-costs-of-living-the-dream/

Something really has to be done as this isn't sustainable and it's killing the game, especially for players from poorer countries than the US who can't afford this at all, and expenses only increase if you want to get better and improve your ranking.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Poor guy. Shows realistically how hard it is for those outside Top 100 who are struggling to remain afloat.

3,728 Posts
A guy who is within the top 500 tennis player in the world

Works his butt off to get half the wage a minimum wage worker gets

I have nothing but infinite respect for anyone outside the top 100

They are the guys who are doing it purely for the love of tennis not just money

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Gotta suck all that money up to the top. Federer's not going to get his billions if all these young upstarts keep hoarding his money, don't you know.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I was talking to a guy at my local club who told me if your between 400-500 best football player in the world you would make 30,000 Euros a week. This is why I love Qualifiers for GS as the players don't just want to play in a slam most of them need the money.

Nothing but respect for players outside the Top 100 it's a hard life.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Gotta suck all that money up to the top. Federer's not going to get his billions if all these young upstarts keep hoarding his money, don't you know.
:confused: Fed makes less than superstars from other sports, like baseball, football, soccer, basketball, golf. The problem is greedy tournaments.

·
Registered
690 Posts
A guy who is within the top 500 tennis player in the world

Works his butt off to get half the wage a minimum wage worker gets

I have nothing but infinite respect for anyone outside the top 100

They are the guys who are doing it purely for the love of tennis not just money
That's why I was happy when I found this forum that people like to discuss and cheer for challenger players. Even tho this if filled with trolls that only want talk crap about the rivals of his favorite player, the respect challenger players get here make it worth.

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
That's why I was happy when I found this forum that people like to discuss and cheer for challenger players. Even tho this if filled with trolls that only want talk crap about the rivals of his favorite player, the respect challenger players get here make it worth.

This is beautiful and it's so true. Props to all people on MTF who support the Challengers and players ranked above 100.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Which complicates things even more in terms of young talent. Which parent in their right mind would choose tennis over football, basketball, etc. where you can make a decent living even if you're the top 100th player in your country or region.

·
Your visions will happen
51,296 Posts
...which is why you see lots of guy coaching for a few years, saving up like 20-30-40-50 thousand dollars to start up and then have money to travel for 2-3 years and see if you can make it financially. You gotta save up like 2-3 years worth of money. If in 2-3 years time you make top 250 at least, you can make it out of the wilderness

·
Registered
690 Posts
Which complicates things even more in terms of young talent. Which parent in their right mind would choose tennis over football, basketball, etc. where you can make a decent living even if you're the top 100th player in your country or region.
It's simply absurd for such a global sport like tennis that only the top100 guys can make a decent living out of playing the sport and only 300 can make more money than what they spend to play the sport. It's unbelievable. NFL is played in one country (they invested hundreds of millions trying to promote it in Europe and still didn't get the return) and 1000++ players will make at least half a million dollar per year to play 16 matches per year.

Obviously tennis can't have 500+ multimillionaires every year, because nothing compares to the NFL, but come on! Only 100 players can make a living? :mad:

Tennis is getting 2nd rate athletes for a long time. This leads to a lack of balance and little competition outside of the top guys. And tennis is such complex sport that it shouldn't be like this.

ATP/WTA/ITF gotta do a lot of things but taking money from the finalists to spread it around the first 2 rounds should be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
690 Posts
...which is why you see lots of guy coaching for a few years, saving up like 20-30-40-50 thousand dollars to start up and then have money to travel for 2-3 years and see if you can make it financially. You gotta save up like 2-3 years worth of money. If in 2-3 years time you make top 250 at least, you can make it out of the wilderness
Andre Ghem from Brazil used the most part of his prime playing inter-clubs tournaments in Germany to make money to finance his "hobby" - playing the ATP Tour. Since a couple of years he's dedicating 100% of his to play ATp. He's top140 right now and in the final round of RG's qually.

He'll probably reach Top100 this year at the age of 32. Kinda sad.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Should someone subsidize every athlete who is 500th ranked player at their sport who can not make living. Supply and demand

500th best beach volleyball player also make less then McDonalds worker

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
why would anyone do it though? lose tons of money per year, instead of a cozy McD job that would keep you afloat and no hundreds of hours in airports and planes?

must be a reason, i'm sure there is.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Most players around the 500 mark are so mediocre that no sane person would pay to watch them. Let's face it, since it is pretty expensive to be top 500, they are essentially paying for their ranking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts