Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put yourselves in the shoes of the top 4 tennis players. Once you've defeated your semifinal opponent, who would you prefer to face against in the U.S. Open final and why? (Think strategically).

1. Federer- If he happens to defeat Djokovic, I think if I were in his position, I would rather face Murray than Nadal. Murray at the moment might have the better serve, however, historically he's known to lose his first serve % at the finals. His second serve is also very weak. In addition to this, Murray's forehand is easier to attack than comparing to Rafa's. Federer's backhand did quite well in their last slam final. Federer also has an easier time dictating the rallies unlike Nadal who puts him on the defensive.

2. Djokovic- If he happens to defeat Federer, I think he would prefer to face Murray as well. His forehand might have caused problems for Nadal, but given the surface, these courts have felt a lot slower this year, it might not be ideal to face Nadal who will be able to put a lot more of Djokovic's balls back into play. Andy Murray was also not able to get a set off Djokovic at the Australian Open, so this would give Djokovic a lot of confidence going into this matchup. He would also be able to dictate most of the rallies with his aggressive offensive style which puts Murray on the run.

3. Nadal- If he were to defeat Murray, I think he would prefer to face Federer for plenty of reasons. Nadal is able to get errors off Federer's backhand. He's able to rally with him a lot more than Djokovic who does a better job than Federer knocking him off the court. Federer's serve is inconsistent so he'll be able to return more balls. Not only is Djokovic's forehand dangerous against Nadal, but Djokovic's backhand can also create problems for Nadal, so Federer would be a better choice.

4. Murray- If he were to defeat Nadal, I think he would prefer to face Federer in the final. Murray can continue to attack Federer's backhand, unlike Djokovic's devastating backhand. Federer's forehand has been producing a lot more errors than Djokovic's so Murray might be able to provoke Federer to overhit shots during longer rallies. Federer's serve % has been inconsistent, so Murray is likely to return it more thus producing possible break points.

These are some common points, what do you guys think? :)

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Put yourselves in the shoes of the top 4 tennis players. Once you've defeated your semifinal opponent, who would you prefer to face against in the U.S. Open final and why? (Think strategically).

1. Federer- If he happens to defeat Djokovic, I think if I were in his position, I would rather face Murray than Nadal. Murray at the moment might have the better serve, however, historically he's known to lose his first serve % at the finals. His second serve is also very weak. In addition to this, Murray's forehand is easier to attack than comparing to Rafa's. Federer's backhand did quite well in their last slam final. Federer also has an easier time dictating the rallies unlike Nadal who puts him on the defensive.

2. Djokovic- If he happens to defeat Federer, I think he would prefer to face Murray as well. His forehand might have caused problems for Nadal, but given the surface, these courts have felt a lot slower this year, it might not be ideal to face Nadal who will be able to put a lot more of Djokovic's balls back into play. Andy Murray was also not able to get a set off Djokovic at the Australian Open, so this would give Djokovic a lot of confidence going into this matchup. He would also be able to dictate most of the rallies with his aggressive offensive style which puts Murray on the run.

3. Nadal- If he were to defeat Murray, I think he would prefer to face Federer for plenty of reasons. Nadal is able to get errors off Federer's backhand. He's able to rally with him a lot more than Djokovic who does a better job than Federer knocking him off the court. Federer's serve is inconsistent so he'll be able to return more balls. Not only is Djokovic's forehand dangerous against Nadal, but Djokovic's backhand can also create problems for Nadal, so Federer would be a better choice.

4. Murray- If he were to defeat Nadal, I think he would prefer to face Federer in the final. Murray can continue to attack Federer's backhand, unlike Djokovic's devastating backhand. Federer's forehand has been producing a lot more errors than Djokovic's so Murray might be able to provoke Federer to overhit shots during longer rallies. Federer's serve % has been inconsistent, so Murray is likely to return it more thus producing possible break points.

These are some common points, what do you guys think? :)
I think you are spot on about all of this except*** one thing! MURRAY. he probably would prefer to play Djokovic over Federer. he just beat Djokovic in Canada which means he has more confidence than ever against him. he almost (SO SO CLOSE) beat Djokovic in Rome I think it was. the point is, Murray post AO 2011 has sort of had Djokovic's number. the match up is not a bad one for him because he can match Djokovic in long rallies and defensive play, also consider the fact that DJokovic may be getting tired from such a long season of winning.

I get why you would say Federer for Murray but when all things are considered, Federer on a good attacking day can just blow Murray off the court. Definitely Murray would prefer to face Djokovic in the hypothetical final

·
Registered
460 Posts
Novak doesn't care because he is the best player in the world

Federer doesn't want to see nadal

Nadal wants no part of Novak

Murray won't win it no matter what

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
i agree with all except murray, regardless of matchup i think he has too many mental issues against fed especially at slam(final)s so id say he would prefer djoker.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Djoker- Would prefer Murray. He knows Nadal will be out for Revenge, while the same thing can eb said for Murray....he's just no way near as good as Nadal.

Fed- Would prefer Murray for obvious reasons.

Nadal- Would prefer Djokovic. Why? Because even though he has better record v Fed....he does NOT want to finish 2011 without beating Djokovic in a slam. It will still leave a bitter taste in his mouth...he rather play and beat djokovic now so the last 5 months could be erased from his memory.

Murray - He would prefer if Nadal anbd then Djokovic/Fed all Retire.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good argument Mountain. Federer is an odd one. His backhand, serve, and GOAT mode can kick in at any moment during finals, that is indeed something to consider. Murray's defense/footwork/accuracy is pretty sturdy, if he can trap Djokovic into those long rallies he'll be looking sharp. Djokovic's long streak can be problematic and Murray can take advantage of that (especially when he picked up a toe injury).

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Djoker- Would prefer Murray. He knows Nadal will be out for Revenge, while the same thing can eb said for Murray....he's just no way near as good as Nadal.

Fed- Would prefer Murray for obvious reasons.

Nadal- Would prefer Djokovic. Why? Because even though he has better record v Fed....he does NOT want to finish 2011 without beating Djokovic in a slam. It will still leave a bitter taste in his mouth...he rather play and beat djokovic now so the last 5 months could be erased from his memory.

Murray - He would prefer if Nadal anbd then Djokovic/Fed all Retire.
I can see why you would say Nadal would want Djokovic, but in terms of strategy would that be wise though? It would send off a strong message come 2012, but...he'll be taking a HUGE risk in doing so.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree with all except murray, regardless of matchup i think he has too many mental issues against fed especially at slam(final)s so id say he would prefer djoker.
Keep in mind though in their first USO final, Murray was pretty worn out. But you are kind of right about the AO final.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Federer --> Murray
Djokovic --> Nadal
Nadal --> Federer
Murray --> Djokovic

Lazy
Agreed.

Tennis is a game of matchups. Federer's game matches up horribly against Nadal. Murray's game matches up quite well against Djokovic.

So - Federer would prefer Murray (inferior player, better matchup). Djokovic would prefer Nadal (he'd be the favorite against either, but when Murray is returning well he can give Nole more issues). Nadal would prefer Federer (inferior opponent and great matchup for Rafa). Murray would prefer Djok (struggles against Fed when Fed is on and gets a lot of great returns of Nole serves).

·
Registered
889 Posts
It's not a huge risk. Seriously can you honestly see Nadal losing to djokovic AGAIN? Nadal will not let that happen and he's determined to put it right. With how slower the HC are he should be confident of winning. If it was faster...well actually i still think he'd prefer Djokovic because Fed on fast HC is very difficult to beat as he found out at World tour finals.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's not a huge risk. Seriously can you honestly see Nadal losing to djokovic AGAIN? Nadal will not let that happen and he's determined to put it right. With how slower the HC are he should be confident of winning. If it was faster...well actually i still think he'd prefer Djokovic because Fed on fast HC is very difficult to beat as he found out at World tour finals.
Yes, and again and again. It is not like Nadal's play is the only thing that determines the winner. Any of those guys can play great and win.

It is just as saying that Federer wants Nadal because Seriously can you honestly see Federer losing to Nadal AGAIN? - with the same answer - again and again and again

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is going to be an amazing week. So many questions will be answered.

Nadal will have to be able to flatten out his forehands if he wants to reduce damage done by Djokovic.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tennis is a game of matchups. Federer's game matches up horribly against Nadal. Murray's game matches up quite well against Djokovic.
Agree with this. Murray's game matches up to Djokovic well. Though with that said I don't know if it works the opposite way - i.e. with Djokovic preferring Nadal over Murray. There's a case for saying that you don't expect Murray to play his best tennis in a slam final, whereas you definitely expect Nadal to play his best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts