Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well, maybe then we just have a different definition of underachiever? For me that's someone whose results are below his potential. From your post I understand that for you it is someone whose results do not reflect the actual quality of this play? Because your statement is completely in line with my notion that Gasquet could very likely have achieved much more by investing more in improving on his weaknesses.
I feel likes it’s more so players that have demonstrated top level play but can’t do it consistently ala Gulbis vs someone who can hit a flashy shot every now and then but his results aren’t inconsistent. Gasquet usually beats lower ranked players and loses to higher ranked players.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
1. Kyrgios
2. Kyrgios
3. Kyrgios

To a lesser extent: Monfils, Kohlschreiber, Nalbandian and Haas.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
What about Stanimal, mate? Isn't he a massive underachiever too?
Not to me, because I think it shows talent and character to improve over the years and to win majors if you are the, as Stan always says it, "Swiss number two".

There are lots of Spanish and Serbian players who can't say the same thing. Not to mention the dozens of talented French players.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think Kuerten underachieved on surfaces other than Clay. He clearly showed at times that he could blow anyone of on HC and Grass. But, Injuries destroyed his career and potential.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Fabio surely could at least contend for slams if not win any. Knowing his best surface is clay, its doubtful he could beat Nadal in Paris, but they could at least produce some memorable matches. Instead he only reached QF once in his life.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Jack Sock and Kyrgios come to mind because they actively self sabotaged their careers.
Guys like Monfils, the Birdman, Tsonga and Gasquet were just not as good as the big 4.

·
6,307 Posts
Jack Sock and Kyrgios come to mind because they actively self sabotaged their careers.
Guys like Monfils, the Birdman, Tsonga and Gasquet were just not as good as the big 4.
Good points .
🐦 Birdman in particular underachieved.
He was always thereabouts in the 2nd week of Slams, then just capitulate and fold once he faced the Big 5.
Surprisingly he only ever won 1 Masters as well, the Paris Indoors early in his career.

·
29,624 Posts
Nalbandian, Coria and despite his 2 Slams and #1 career, Safin. Coria worked hard but mentally crumbled after not winning RG. I love David but if he'd had del Potro's grit he'd have definitely won a slam if not more.

·
29,624 Posts
Good points .
🐦 Birdman in particular underachieved.
He was always thereabouts in the 2nd week of Slams, then just capitulate and fold once he faced the Big 5.
Surprisingly he only ever won 1 Masters as well, the Paris Indoors early in his career.
Would say Berdych only underachieved after his silly tweet spree in '13. Before that, he was a competitive opponent for the top guys most of the time and was in the mix behind the top 4 guys around that point, but after those tweets he stopped even competing against Federer and Murray (the two guys out of the four he seemed to be more of a thorn to)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Berdych was especially hyper motivated to beat Federer.
And Federer knows.

From their first meeting with OG Athens 04 until the last fires of Berdych 2017 when Fed is the phoenix that we know ... with mp in Miami and another solid match at Wimbledon as a finish.
At Madrid blue clay 2012, too.
Since Federer era 2004, he is the only one with DP, apart from Nadal, Djoko has beaten him twice in GS. No coincidence.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts