Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my username suggests, I’m a fan of the serve. If I were to rank the top 10 servers of all time, I would do something like this. Rankings 4-9 are pretty much interchangeable tbh so I just put them based on who I thought had the slight edge. I’m not entirely sure how to place players like Guccione due to their lack of consistency and we’re not relevant for very long.

1. Karlovic
2. Isner
3. Opelka
4. Raonic
5. Arthurs
6. Kyrgios
7. Kraijcek
8. Ivanesevic
9. Johansson
10. Muller

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Couple of other considerations: Roddick, Boom Boom, my man Johnny Mac's wicked lefty serve (set up a lot of points for him). Cool thread, will have to think about it a bit to get a proper list.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple of other considerations: Roddick, Boom Boom, my man Johnny Mac's wicked lefty serve (set up a lot of points for him). Cool thread, will have to think about it a bit to get a proper list.
All had pretty impressive serves but I feel like they came up a little short compared to the ones on the list but I could be wrong.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Sampras yet?
I always found his serve overrated. His serve was of course very good, especially for his height but a lot of the people on the list had better stats than him despite being worse in the other areas in the game but Sampras is still pretty close to top 10 I would say.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I always found his serve overrated. His serve was of course very good, especially for his height but a lot of the people on the list had better stats than him despite being worse in the other areas in the game but Sampras is still pretty close to top 10 I would say.
Interesting. My initial thoughts were just knee-jerk off the top of my head - didn't consider or consult stats. Would be interesting to see how the top servers break down in different categories.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. My initial thoughts were just knee-jerk off the top of my head - didn't consider or consult stats. Would be interesting to see how the top servers break down in different categories.
Stats are usually what I go by. Pretty much stats such as number of aces per match, first and second serve points percentage won, service games percentage won etc.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Stats are usually what I go by. Pretty much stats such as number of aces per match, first and second serve points percentage won, service games percentage won etc.
Ya, pretty hard to argue with those facts. It’s interesting how we can be surprised by them when we actually go look, watching players throughout their careers can often give us a different perspective on what we perceive as the best serve/ clutch server etc. Of course, most of us only get to see a small portion of players matches throuout their careers, so our perception can be screwed.

·
King Of Tennis
4,229 Posts
King's serve is very underrated. Perhaps not the highest in terms of speed, but he gets a lot of free points off it and places it extremely well, especially on the big points.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
King's serve is very underrated. Perhaps not the highest in terms of speed, but he gets a lot of free points off it and places it extremely well, especially on the big points.
Can’t argue with that, I’ve noticed he does quite often come up with good serves when he needs them with shows his mental toughness.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Did you include clay matches too? As players who do quite well on it will be at a disadvantage compared to players who lose early. For instance, i do not think J Johansson had a better serve than Verkerk.
I think Muller's is being a bit overrated too, i would probably have the likes of Ljubicic and Roddick ahead of him.

Your list is pretty solid though, only someone who know would have Arthurs and Krajicek ahead of Sampras ;)

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you include clay matches too? As players who do quite well on it will be at a disadvantage compared to players who lose early. For instance, i do not think J Johansson had a better serve than Verkerk.
I think Muller's is being a bit overrated too, i would probably have the likes of Ljubicic and Roddick ahead of him.

Your list is pretty solid though, only someone who know would have Arthurs and Krajicek ahead of Sampras ;)
That definitely makes sense as clay doesn’t favor the servers. You may be right about Ljubicic and Roddick over Muller, I wasn’t too sure so I put Muller cause of his insane slice serve and the fact that he had really good stats as well but he wasn’t exactly seen on the clay.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Goran is top 4 with Karlovic, Isner and Raonic, if he could volley + wasnt certified insane he would have won 4 Wimbledons, + his serves would be faster with the modern speed guns. No-one's serve here dominated Wimbledon for 11 years the way his did (+ putting Krajicek above him WTF)

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
1-2. Obviously Karlovic and Isner. Anyone who claims otherwise needs their head examined.
3. I would say Gyros.
4-5. Sampras and Federer.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1-2. Obviously Karlovic and Isner. Anyone who claims otherwise needs their head examined.
3. I would say Gyros.
4-5. Sampras and Federer.
I wouldn’t put Federer up there as his serve isn’t really near as good as the others, his impressive stats are more so due to how well he backs it up. Still a good server though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts