Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Β·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. Time to check year-end results. That was a short season, but I think we can realize who was the best? ❓❓❓
My top-10 list:
1. πŸ†πŸ†πŸ† Djokovic (AO title, RG Final, 2 Masters, US disqualification (not a loss). He had weak end of the season, and his attitude about his loss against Sonego shocked me a little bit, but anyway I think he deserved a #1 spot in 2020. After all, he end this year like a number one.
2. πŸ₯ˆπŸ₯ˆπŸ₯ˆ Domi Thiem? (USO title, RG QF, AO Final (He won a match against Rafa). WTF Final against Medvedev.
3. πŸ₯‰πŸ₯‰πŸ₯‰ Rafa (FO title (as always). USO missed. AO qf (lost to Domi). After all WTF semifinal and 2 losses in the Masters (Rome(QF) and Paris(SF). The only reason why he is below Domi - his loss against him at the AO. but Rafa won a match against Djoko at RG 3-0 final, so maybe Rafa #1?
4. πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ Medvedev. Amazing ending of the season. He has won Paris Masters, World Tour Finals. Not a bad results on slams (AO 4 round, US open semifinal, FO 1st round). Also, he is stronger than Rublev and Zverev ofc in my opinion.
5. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€” A. Zverev. Only because of US Open final and Paris Masters final. Australian Open Semifinal. 1 H2H victory over Rubler at the AO 2020.
6. πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯ Rublev. Player with the biggest amount of titles in 2020. (Unfortunately only 3-500 and 2-250) but his results in slams was not so bad too. AO- 4R, FO- QF, USO- QF. Very good year for Andrey and his tennis will be stronger and stronger every season.
7. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ Diego Schwartzman. AO- 4R lose to Djoko. Rome Masters Final - won against Nadal on clay in QF. FO- Semifinal. Paris Masters - QF- lose to Medvedev. I think this is his place and a good season for Diego.
8. πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯ Tsitsipas. AO- 3R. FO- SF. Cinci- SF. USO- 3R. Bad season for his talent and ambitions. He will do better in 2021 (I'm not Tsitsi-fan, but obviously that he could fulfill his potential better)
9. 🀣🀣🀣 Good players are ended for me. Now everybody can be in 9-10 positions. I think #9 for me this is Raonic. AO- QF. Cinci- Final. Paris- SF.
10. 🐸🐸🐸 Ugo Humbert - only because his 2 titles in 250 tournaments.
Write your top 10 with some info about each. This will be interesting. :cool:(y)(y)(y)

Β·
Registered
17,744 Posts
1. Thiem - woulda been 2x slam champ with equal rest at AO, WTF Final, 2 pts short of FO SF
2. Nadal - most dominant slam champ, 2nd best level AO, bad choke denying likely WTF title
3. Djokovic - Probably slamless given equal rest for the AO Final, boosted record at start of year, absolutely destroyed by Medvedev, shocking tank/loss to Sonego
4. Medvedev
5. Tsitsipas - His best slam was still better than Zed's best, better WTF showing.
6. Zverev - much improved slam player but still both runs a bit resting on weak opponents and the top seeds upsetted (Med, Stef). Beastly Cologne stretch.
7. Raonic - was a force this year. Level easily next in line here, injuries denied him more ranking points.
8. Rublev
9. Sinner
10. Humbert

Just outside: Schwartzman (point accumulation a bit fluky with FO SF), de Minaur

Β·
Registered
1,395 Posts
1/2 Thiem, Djokovic
3 Nadal
4 Medvedev
5 Zverev
6 Rublev
7 Tsitsipas
8 Schwartzman
9/10 Plenty of guys could be here. Maybe Sinner and Raonic.

Reactions: Tennis Warden

Β·
King Of Tennis
3,239 Posts
1. Thiem - woulda been 2x slam champ with equal rest at AO
3. Djokovic - Probably slamless given equal rest for the AO Final
He's 8-0 in AO finals, lol. Thiem was much closer to losing to Zverev than King was losing to Thiem. Besides, King lost the US12 and RG15 finals after not getting "equal rest," playing the previous day while his opponents got the day off. Do you think he was going to win those slams if he got equal rest? Also, did Thiem play the day before the AO final like King had to at US12 and RG15? Nope, didn't think so.

Β·
King Of Tennis
3,239 Posts
Also Thiem is 2 wins and 7 losses in big finals. So lol @ the "equal rest" excuse. He's just a flop when it matters most.

Β·
Registered
3,186 Posts
1. Thiem - woulda been 2x slam champ with equal rest at AO, WTF Final, 2 pts short of FO SF
2. Nadal - most dominant slam champ, 2nd best level AO, bad choke denying likely WTF title
3. Djokovic - Probably slamless given equal rest for the AO Final, boosted record at start of year, absolutely destroyed by Medvedev, shocking tank/loss to Sonego
we all know you are one deranged individual, you really don't need to back that up in every other post. πŸ˜‚

Β·
Registered
450 Posts
Djokovic is by far the player of the year, Thiem is just a weak minded choker who's 2-7 in big finals. Djokovic will own Thiem at AO next season if their play as well Straight sets.

Β·
Registered
210 Posts
3. πŸ₯‰πŸ₯‰πŸ₯‰ Rafa (FO title (as always). USO missed. AO semifinal (lost to Domi). After all WTF semifinal and 2 losses in the Masters (Rome(QF) and Paris(SF). The only reason why he is below Domi - his loss against him at the AO. but Rafa won a match against Djoko at RG 3-0 final, so maybe Rafa #1?
AO QF not SF

Β·
Registered
17,744 Posts
we all know you are one deranged individual, you really don't need to back that up in every other post. πŸ˜‚
Yet you are fuming every time.

Β·
Registered
2,056 Posts
4. Medvedev
5. Tsitsipas - His best slam was still better than Zed's best, better WTF showing.
6. Zverev - much improved slam player but still both runs a bit resting on weak opponents and the top seeds upsetted (Med, Stef). Beastly Cologne stretch.
7. Raonic - was a force this year. Level easily next in line here, injuries denied him more ranking points.
8. Rublev
9. Sinner
10. Humbert

Just outside: Schwartzman (point accumulation a bit fluky with FO SF), de Minaur
Quite delusional to have Thiem at #1 who was way behind Djokovic in points won for the year.

Β·
Registered
82 Posts
In no Particular order the top 8 this year for me would be

Novak Djokovic
Rafael Nadal
Dominic Thiem
Alexander Zverev
Diego Schwartzman
Milos Raonic
Andrey Rublev
Pablo Carreno Busta

Then it's hard to say. I cant say Daniil Medvedev because he was really only good for 2 weeks of the season. He was gifted a US open draw or he would have gone down early there. maybe Felix Aliassime for his overall consistency . Jannik Sinner maybe to round things out. Gael Monfils was great before the break but flopped after.

Β·
Registered
17,744 Posts
In no Particular order the top 8 this year for me would be

Novak Djokovic
Rafael Nadal
Dominic Thiem
Alexander Zverev
Diego Schwartzman
Milos Raonic
Andrey Rublev
Pablo Carreno Busta

Then it's hard to say. I cant say Daniil Medvedev because he was really only good for 2 weeks of the season. He was gifted a US open draw or he would have gone down early there. maybe Felix Aliassime for his overall consistency . Jannik Sinner maybe to round things out. Gael Monfils was great before the break but flopped after.
Lololol

Β·
9,507 Posts
No order no bias

Thiem
MEdvedev
DJokovic
Carreno Busta
Zverev
Nadal
Garin
RUblev

Next 4 would be
Sinner
Evans
Pospisil
SChwartzman

Β·
Registered
17,744 Posts

Β·
Registered
2,654 Posts
1) Thiem, not a matter of points won. He came very close to beating Djokovic at AO, played very well for most of the season. I put him on no.1 spot because of his breakthrough at USO.
2) Rafa. 13th RG. Funny how people on MTF always behave like winning 13 titles at one slam is some minor achievement. It's ridiculous how underappreciated Rafa is but nothing new.
3) Djokovic. Despite winning AO and collecting the most points, he's beginning to lose often to new gen players. Got walloped in the RG final in a painful fashion.
4) Medvedev. Flawless on indoor courts, beat everyone on his path to win Paris Bercy and WTF.
5) Zverev. Managed to pull himself together and reach a slam final.
6) Tsitsipas. Solid results at slams, good form.
7) Rublev, had a nice winning streak.
8) PCB, solid as usual.
9) Schwartzmann, also solid.
10) Sinner, discovery of the year

Β·
Registered
210 Posts
1) Thiem, not a matter of points won. He came very close to beating Djokovic at AO, played very well for most of the season. I put him on no.1 spot because of his breakthrough at USO.
2) Rafa. 13th RG. Funny how people on MTF always behave like winning 13 titles at one slam is some minor achievement. It's ridiculous how underappreciated Rafa is but nothing new.
3) Djokovic. Despite winning AO and collecting the most points, he's beginning to lose often to new gen players. Got walloped in the RG final in a painful fashion.
ok, we do not need to talk about points won, we know that nole is the one who did clearly the best in that category.

2020 points only:
1. nole 6855 (49% more then thiem and 69% more then rafa)
2. hiem 4615
3. rafa 4050

BUT

titles:

No1e 5 (3 big):

AO
rome masters
IW masters

ATPcup
Dubai

rafa 2 (1 big):
RG

acapulco

thiem 1 (1 big):
USO

h2h:

nole vs rafa: 1 (ATPcup F) - 1 (RG F)
nole vs thiem: 1 (AO F) - 1 (WTF SF)
rafa vs thiem: 0 - 2 (AO SF, WTF RR)

lost:
No1e 5: busta (DEF), rafa, sonego, medvedev, thiem
rafa 7: gofin, nole, 2x tiem, diego, zverev, medvedev
thiem 9: coric, hubert, nole, mager, krajinovic, diego, 2x rublev, medvedev

rafa did not won 13 RG this year but one, tiem won in the USO final without beating any of big3 in and won a mug / chokerfest final. also thiem "played very well for most of the season" (won 1 title and lost 9 times) and nole "he's beginning to lose often to new gen players" (won 5 titles and lost 5 times - 1 DQ and 1 vs rafa on RG + tank jobb vs sonego)!

Β·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, we do not need to talk about points won, we know that nole is the one who did clearly the best in that category.

rafa did not won 13 RG this year but one, tiem won in the USO final without beating any of big3 in and won a mug / chokerfest final. also thiem "played very well for most of the season" (won 1 title and lost 9 times) and nole "he's beginning to lose often to new gen players" (won 5 titles and lost 5 times - 1 DQ and 1 vs rafa on RG + tank jobb vs sonego)!
You reading my thoughts. This is absolutely right opinion about these top-3 players. 1. Nole 2.Thiem 3. Rafa πŸ‘

1 - 20 of 23 Posts