Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Look, I am a huge Federer fan and think he is DEFINITELY the GOAT in men's tennis, but I'm reading tennis forums about the match sunday, and wayyy too many people have their rose-tinted glasses on, picking with their heart instead of their head. The fact of the matter is, Federer relies A LOT on the serve nowadays to get free points and Djokovic is one of the best returners on tour, if not the best returner on tour. Federer will get significantly fewer free points which, at this stage in his career, will cause him to wear down and make errors earlier in the rallies. Murray has already had practice with big serves with Karlovic and Pospisil, so I don't believe that Federer's serve will trouble him too, too much. And Federer rushes to net too, and we've already seen this tournament that Djokovic's returns have been on-point this tournament. And people love talking about how Federer will be uber motivated for this match, if you don't think Djokovic will want revenge for that CLOBBERING in the French Open final by Wawrinka and prove himself again, then you are fooling yourself. The crowd advantage for Fed is the only thing he'll have.

I think it's also that Federer really hasn't played anybody who can even remotely hurt him this tournament. Bautista Agut in the Round of 16? That's a joke for a player of Federer's caliber. The weapon-less Simon in the Quarterfinals instead of Berdych?. Roger would take that any day of the week. The semifinal was a fluke performance.

Just my thoughts about this. It hurts me to write this about Fed, but too many people are hoping rather than looking at the matchup itself.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Look, if today's Federer played today's Djokovic, Federer would have won in straight sets.

·
11,081 Posts
Bro, bump the old thread and don't make a new one.

·
11,081 Posts
Actually just kidding. This should stay open. I didn't read the title :lol:

Sorry folks I literally pulled an all nighter...on accident! Too excited for the delicious match up today

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Let's clear one thing - Murray is a better returner than Djokovic, you can take a look at RPW compared to TPW.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Look, I am a huge Federer fan and think he is DEFINITELY the GOAT in men's tennis, but I'm reading tennis forums about the match sunday, and wayyy too many people have their rose-tinted glasses on, picking with their heart instead of their head. The fact of the matter is, Federer relies A LOT on the serve nowadays to get free points and Djokovic is one of the best returners on tour, if not the best returner on tour. Federer will get significantly fewer free points which, at this stage in his career, will cause him to wear down and make errors earlier in the rallies. Murray has already had practice with big serves with Karlovic and Pospisil, so I don't believe that Federer's serve will trouble him too, too much. And Federer rushes to net too, and we've already seen this tournament that Djokovic's returns have been on-point this tournament. And people love talking about how Federer will be uber motivated for this match, if you don't think Djokovic will want revenge for that CLOBBERING in the French Open final by Wawrinka and prove himself again, then you are fooling yourself. The crowd advantage for Fed is the only thing he'll have.

I think it's also that Federer really hasn't played anybody who can even remotely hurt him this tournament. Bautista Agut in the Round of 16? That's a joke for a player of Federer's caliber. The weapon-less Simon in the Quarterfinals instead of Berdych?. Roger would take that any day of the week. The semifinal was a fluke performance.

Just my thoughts about this. It hurts me to write this about Fed, but too many people are hoping rather than looking at the matchup itself.
What?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts