Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
To me, it's a win win. If Murray wins, revenge match for Nole. If Fed wins, revenge match for Roger. Of course, if Federer loses, the British media will hail Murray a king, a royal, a demi-god, sexiest man alive, most powerful man in the world, .... candidate for next 007

He has done nothing yet and still British media hypes him up like he won 17 GS. Murray beat the same players as Seppi,Karlovic,Kukushkin and Haase who was awful then Pospisil who played a lot of tennis .Those are titans of the game you know. Sam Querry was in F in Nottingham,Simon played well this grass season, Groth beat some good players on grass ,Bautista Agut played last year Murray at Wimbledon. Well Fed beat those players who were there and Murray has done it as well. IMO British pundits thought Simon would going to tire Fed in 5 setter match as they played before and it could be easy SF for Murray.
But no one expected Fed would beat Simon in 3sets. IMO Federer will play his best in SF as he always does in SF. 9 SF at Wimbledon and Fed lost only one set.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Look, I am a huge Federer fan and think he is DEFINITELY the GOAT in men's tennis, but I'm reading tennis forums about the match tomorrow, and wayyy too many people have their rose-tinted glasses on, picking with their heart instead of their head. The fact of the matter is, Federer relies A LOT on the serve nowadays to get free points and Murray is one of the best returners on tour, if not the best returner on tour. Federer will get significantly fewer free points which, at this stage in his career, will cause him to wear down and make errors earlier in the rallies. Murray has already had practice with big serves with Karlovic and Pospisil, so I don't believe that Federer's serve will trouble him too, too much. And Federer rushes to net too, and we've already seen this tournament that Murray's passing shots have been on-point this tournament. And people love talking about how Federer will be uber motivated for this match, if you don't think Andy will want revenge for that CLOBBERING in the World Tour Finals, then you are fooling yourself. The crowd advantage for Fed is also negated with Murray here.

I think it's also that Federer really hasn't played anybody who can even remotely hurt him this tournament. Bautista Agut in the Round of 16? That's a joke for a player of Federer's caliber. The weapon-less Simon in the Quarterfinals instead of Berdych? Roger would take that any day of the week. Federer perhaps won't be "warmed up" for the challenge that Andy will bring considering his weak opponents so far this tournament.

Just my thoughts about this. It hurts me to write this about Fed, but too many people are hoping rather than looking at the matchup itself.
I've saying this for days. People really are passionate and don't want to be rational. Federer's serve alone _its' placement and variety_ can keep him in a match against anyone on grass, so he could beat Murray, because I'm not sure how Murray will handle serving 5-6 0-15. Something like that.

But when his serving drops, Murray will dictate the match. Even if it takes 3 sets for Murray to get Fed's serve.

Since I favor Nole, I'm cheering for Fed, tho.

Simon just said that he felt he was playing Raonic. Fed doesn't serve as powerful but on grass his variety and placement can net him a crapload of free points.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Those reflect some of my thoughts, too. I mean, I *want* Fed to win it, but I think Andy will - and quite frankly I'm dreading that, because if he wins I may well be wandering round to my neighbours and asking them if any of them have any newly-painted walls I can watch come Sunday. I'm assuming that Djokovic wins the other SF, of course.

OTOH, Murray hasn't even faced a Top 20 player yet, but I think that's for another thread ...

If Murray has not played top 20 player than how good is he really ?! It is much better for Federer that he played Agut and then Simon who has the same style of Murray. Berdych plays not well these days that is why Simon beat him. I watched almost all matches of Murray and he does not play better than Federer for sure. Haase was worse than Agut. You forget that Fed played Seppi and Karlovic in Halle. Kohl,Gulbis and it is not like he has not played. Federer knows if he wants to win Wimbledon he should beat Murray and Djokovic. So to do that he needs to be fresh for SF and F. That is how he won GS' before. Only opponent of Murray who played well was Kukushkin.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
I've saying this for days. People really are passionate and don't want to be rational. Federer's serve alone _its' placement and variety_ can keep him in a match against anyone on grass, so he could beat Murray, because I'm not sure how Murray will handle serving 5-6 0-15. Something like that.

But when his serving drops, Murray will dictate the match. Even if it takes 3 sets for Murray to get Fed's serve.

Since I favor Nole, I'm cheering for Fed, tho.

Simon just said that he felt he was playing Raonic. Fed doesn't serve as powerful but on grass his variety and placement can net him a crapload of free points.

Do not forget that Federer played a lot of rallies with Simon and he dominated them.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I love Roger and Nole. I really would love Roger to win his 8th. But if he is going to show up in the final like last year and get outplayed, then I prefer Murray. At least, Nole gets a chance for revenge or not.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
I love Roger and Nole. I really would love Roger to win his 8th. But if he is going to show up in the final like last year and get outplayed, then I prefer Murray. At least, Nole gets a chance for revenge or not.

Well we could not know that. But for me Fed looks like he knows what he wants to do on court. Everyone should know that it is very important for Fed at 34 almost to save energy for last rounds if he wants to win a GS. It is not just for him but for Murray as well. Djokovic as well.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
It depends what Fed show against Murray. He may be hiding the tactics in the first 5 matches. Those players are terrible, Roger play 50% to beat them.

Roger come out with DTL and CC sharp forehands will surprise everyone. Because he had hit neutral rallies in the first 5 matches.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Well we could not know that. But for me Fed looks like he knows what he wants to do on court. Everyone should know that it is very important for Fed at 34 almost to save energy for last rounds if he wants to win a GS. It is not just for him but for Murray as well. Djokovic as well.
the draw turned out horribly ... for roger. Nole will reach the final well rested. Fed needs to beat Murray fast... probably in straight sets to have a shot

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
He will play short points after sharp forehands, not believing murray can pass him. Hold all the serves and break murray in 3 sets.

Murray passing shots have not been tested by real offensive tennis.

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
To me, it's a win win. If Murray wins, revenge match for Nole. If Fed wins, revenge match for Roger. Of course, if Federer loses, the British media will hail Murray a king, a royal, a demi-god, sexiest man alive, most powerful man in the world, ....candidate for next 007
Not even the British media would suggest something ridiculous like that lol

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Not even the British media would suggest something ridiculous like that lol
oh trust me ... he is already taken lessons with ... the modern 007 who kills enemies with a racquet and by out-britishing them

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
17 majors can give you that comfort though! The pressure is definitely on Andy to come up with the good against an aging legend!
And let him stay this way. Aging and about retiring. All I want Fed to be out of top 4. Then he can play as long as he wants. I do believe homeschooling is not the best option for the girls though. And there is no way Mirka leaves Federer for an hour, let alone days :lol:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
And let him stay this way. Aging and about retiring. All I want Fed to be out of top 4. Then he can play as long as he wants. I do believe homeschooling is not the best option for the girls though. And there is no way Mirka leaves Federer for an hour, let alone days :lol:
so hurt about your god not even being a top 10 than you wish Roger to be out of top 4. lol. You deranged cultists never cease to amaze me. The amount of hate for Roger is one thing but your obsession with his family... lol.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Federer is done? When he's the oldest world number two since Ken Rosewell?

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
I picked Fed to win and that's me picking with my head over my heart....I'm a Murray fan.

Andy's serve has been terrible. I recognise that.

He will lose unless that improves. Simple.

I hope it does.

Have to agree, put my own cash on Federer in 4, I rate him the 75-25 favourite and normally I regard myself as somewhat biased in Murray's favour being his fan etcs, Murray has looked much much worse than Federer this Wimbledon, his only hope is to play a bit more like he was at Queens on the final day, but that appears unlikly.

·
Registered
17,473 Posts
oh trust me ... he is already taken lessons with ... the modern 007 who kills enemies with a racquet and by out-britishing them

I don't like Mr. Connery. He had been always like an obnoxious jerk after he achieved that superstar status. Yeah, for sure he had a poor childhood and youth, but after 1965 he became what he is today: an untouchable pseudo-hero. :spit:

·
Registered
17,473 Posts
OP is not realistic here.
This year has proved so far that
1. Federer is not declined on fast courts, not even on grass
2. Federer still has the game to win against fellow top players, though his FH is a big liability now
3. Murray is not the absolute favorite on grass, despite his impressive play at Queens and his average play so far this Wimby
4. Murray's game can be exposed, especially if he won't be attacking that much which would be needed against Fed

So my prediction is 60-40 for Fed.
Murray still can win if he plays his absolute best and serves at least competitively his 2nd serves.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Not sure who would prepare fed for a semis vs murray. He at least got 2 handed baseliners in rba and simon... i dont think berdych really would have helped any... if anything fed is going in well rested with some rythm... in 2014 playing stan and then robot didn't give any baseline rythm plus stan was 1 hander... djoker got baby fed preview.. so it can help.. fed is rested.. thats all he could have asked.. he's losing anyways.. even in 2012 was outplayed when the match was outdoors.. destroyed during Olympic grass.. like i said.. murray is NOW the best grass player.. no questions asked.. he will just finalize all this tomorrow in 3 sets.. and no further questions will be needed.

game, set, match.. i have even bet money on murray because that is how sure i am.

This is bs sorry. Fed had already turned around the match in wimby 2012 final before the roof closed. At the Olympics he played worst match of the year and deserved to lose, Murray wasn't even that great in that final (served way better during wimby final).

Only problem fed has now (and it's a big problem mind you) is that he's lost his forehand. He'll go into the match as the underdog, but I think he has chances to win today. In case he does, Nole will be a different story though.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

41 - 60 of 73 Posts