Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look, I am a huge Federer fan and think he is DEFINITELY the GOAT in men's tennis, but I'm reading tennis forums about the match tomorrow, and wayyy too many people have their rose-tinted glasses on, picking with their heart instead of their head. The fact of the matter is, Federer relies A LOT on the serve nowadays to get free points and Murray is one of the best returners on tour, if not the best returner on tour. Federer will get significantly fewer free points which, at this stage in his career, will cause him to wear down and make errors earlier in the rallies. Murray has already had practice with big serves with Karlovic and Pospisil, so I don't believe that Federer's serve will trouble him too, too much. And Federer rushes to net too, and we've already seen this tournament that Murray's passing shots have been on-point this tournament. And people love talking about how Federer will be uber motivated for this match, if you don't think Andy will want revenge for that CLOBBERING in the World Tour Finals, then you are fooling yourself. The crowd advantage for Fed is also negated with Murray here.

I think it's also that Federer really hasn't played anybody who can even remotely hurt him this tournament. Bautista Agut in the Round of 16? That's a joke for a player of Federer's caliber. The weapon-less Simon in the Quarterfinals instead of Berdych? Roger would take that any day of the week. Federer perhaps won't be "warmed up" for the challenge that Andy will bring considering his weak opponents so far this tournament.

Just my thoughts about this. It hurts me to write this about Fed, but too many people are hoping rather than looking at the matchup itself.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think it´s interesting how differently Murray is perceived after his Madrid run. Before, everybody was laughing at him for getting destroyed again and again by Djokovic (as well as by Simon and Coric). Then he beat 2015dal in style and suddenly people rate him much higher. In RG he dropped sets to Sousa and Ferrer before he was only able to play on Djokovic´s level for 2 out of 5 sets. At Wimbledon he dropped sets to Seppi and Karlovic and played well, but nothing special for him. He´s just Murray after all.

Federer on the other hand is underrated in my opinion due to the first part of the season. People forget that he needs faster surfaces to shine and when he gets them, he does (Cincinatti, Shanghai, Basel, Brisbane, Dubai, Halle, Wimbledon). He´s the greatest player of all time, especially on grass. When he plays (very) well, Murray needs to peak. Of course he is 33 now and far from his best but over the last 12 months he was still the best and most consistent player on fast surfaces.

About the "Federer got no close match to find his groove" theory. Well, I thought the same in Dubai after he got Coric in the semis instead of Murray, but then he went on to play a fantastic final against Djokovic. That in mind + the fact that he had several close sets and matches in Halle on grass, I think the easier and less taxing matches benefit Federer. Additionally, RBA and Simon were good opponents to find his baseline rhythm.

All in all, this is just my personal opinion. Sure, maybe I am totally wrong and Murray beats him in 3 or 4 sets but as a Roger Federer fan, I am optimistic due the reasons I listed.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Serve & nerve.
The two most decisive factors for Federer's game tomorrow. Either he brings them along, or he's toast.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well, whatever Federer's like, there's always a possibility that Murray could gift Roger the match if Andy's in one of his "Make unforced error every few shots and miss easy put aways" mood, like last year against Dimitrov and in a few other big matches in his career.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I will be amazed if Federer wins a set, unless his serve is more effective than seems likely.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I picked Fed to win and that's me picking with my head over my heart....I'm a Murray fan.

Andy's serve has been terrible. I recognise that.

He will lose unless that improves. Simple.

I hope it does.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Maybe this is being done in other tennis forums. All the analysts are picking murray. He is the oddsmaker favorite for tmrw. He has the crowd and there is 0 chance for rain. Like i said fed does not back up the serve as well anymore. This will be easier than most thinkign after facing karlovic serve and popsicle..

Murray in 3 sets.. fed is 33... murray was injured severly in 2014.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Damage control... Fedtards can't really lose these days, can they?
If Fed wins - wow, GOAT's stil goating at the age of 243, I want to have his child.
If Fed loses - well, he's 486 years old, what did you peasants expect?

Now real talk: Considering every aspect of tomorrow's match-up, I'd say Andy definitely has an advantage. But - nobody knows how it'll pan out.
Serve, net game, mentality/composure: Fed
ROS, FH, BH, stamina/durability, lobs, overheads, drop shots: Andy

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Damage control... Fedtards can't really lose these days, can they?
If Fed wins - wow, GOAT's stil goating at the age of 243, I want to have his child.
If Fed loses - well, he's 486 years old, what did you peasants expect?
17 majors can give you that comfort though! What does he have to prove tomorrow?? That he's a great grass court player? That he's capable of winning Wimbledon? The pressure is definitely on Andy to come up with the good against an aging legend!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Look, I am a huge Federer fan and think he is DEFINITELY the GOAT in men's tennis, but I'm reading tennis forums about the match tomorrow, and wayyy too many people have their rose-tinted glasses on, picking with their heart instead of their head. The fact of the matter is, Federer relies A LOT on the serve nowadays to get free points and Murray is one of the best returners on tour, if not the best returner on tour. Federer will get significantly fewer free points which, at this stage in his career, will cause him to wear down and make errors earlier in the rallies. Murray has already had practice with big serves with Karlovic and Pospisil, so I don't believe that Federer's serve will trouble him too, too much. And Federer rushes to net too, and we've already seen this tournament that Murray's passing shots have been on-point this tournament. And people love talking about how Federer will be uber motivated for this match, if you don't think Andy will want revenge for that CLOBBERING in the World Tour Finals, then you are fooling yourself. The crowd advantage for Fed is also negated with Murray here.

I think it's also that Federer really hasn't played anybody who can even remotely hurt him this tournament. Bautista Agut in the Round of 16? That's a joke for a player of Federer's caliber. The weapon-less Simon in the Quarterfinals instead of Berdych? Roger would take that any day of the week. Federer perhaps won't be "warmed up" for the challenge that Andy will bring considering his weak opponents so far this tournament.

Just my thoughts about this. It hurts me to write this about Fed, but too many people are hoping rather than looking at the matchup itself.
Correct analysis. Federer has not had the right matches to prepare him for the business end of Wimbledon. Scribes nearly did him in Halle. And who is Scriber? Put Murray or Djokovic in his place and Feds would have lost right there.

What I can see happening whoever wins tomorrow. Is a hard energy drain. FEDS and GRASSRAY. Really need Gasquet to put in a goat performance. Because anyway Djokovic dismisses Gasquet like he did CILIC. Murray and Federer haven't a prayer of beating this version of Djokovic nicely energised.

Becker will come his coco when he watches his man dismantle either one of them.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Why are there so many posters popping up who post full-on paragraphs and capitalize their words to make it seem like keywords and sound like their important? :facepalm:

Please, stop. :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Correct analysis. Federer has not had the right matches to prepare him for the business end of Wimbledon. Scribes nearly did him in Halle. And who is Scriber? Put Murray or Djokovic in his place and Feds would have lost right there.

What I can see happening whoever wins tomorrow. Is a hard energy drain. FEDS and GRASSRAY. Really need Gasquet to put in a goat performance. Because anyway Djokovic dismisses Gasquet like he did CILIC. Murray and Federer haven't a prayer of beating this version of Djokovic nicely energised.

Ugh. The capitalizing is so unbearable...just bring in polarisgalaxy with his fanfiction and you have the triumvirate...:facepalm:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

Not sure who would prepare fed for a semis vs murray. He at least got 2 handed baseliners in rba and simon... i dont think berdych really would have helped any... if anything fed is going in well rested with some rythm... in 2014 playing stan and then robot didn't give any baseline rythm plus stan was 1 hander... djoker got baby fed preview.. so it can help.. fed is rested.. thats all he could have asked.. he's losing anyways.. even in 2012 was outplayed when the match was outdoors.. destroyed during Olympic grass.. like i said.. murray is NOW the best grass player.. no questions asked.. he will just finalize all this tomorrow in 3 sets.. and no further questions will be needed.

game, set, match.. i have even bet money on murray because that is how sure i am.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
17 majors can give you that comfort though! What does he have to prove tomorrow?? That he's a great grass court player? That he's capable of winning Wimbledon? The pressure is definitely on Andy to come up with the good against an aging legend!
Well, a) you're definitely right, that's why I said what I said
b) Fed has a lot to prove actually, even if you don't recognize it

He has to prove that he's not completely done.
He has to prove that his tennis career has not turned into losing to the likes of Seppi and Gulbis at slams while making millions off of promoting champagne and playing exos.
Fed is done in terms of competing in Australia, France and America.
The only thing he has going for him is Wimbledon.
Losing in three easy sets to Andy, just to make that point clear, would be absolutely devastating for his career.
It'd mean immediate retirement.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Ugh. The capitalizing is so unbearable...just bring in polarisgalaxy with his fanfiction and you have the triumvirate...:facepalm:
Yeah and if your Dustin Brown sig was any bigger youd be able to sleep on it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts