Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a well respected coach, have you noticed how much of a failure he actually is? I mean I have all the respect for Tony Roche, but he has had so much bad luck coaching players.

Ivan Lendl never won Wimbledon - Lendl hired Roche to win Wimbledon
Patrick Rafter never won Wimbledon
Roger Federer still hasn't won Rolland Garros - Federer hired Roche to win RG
Lleyton Hewitt still doesn't seem to be on track

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
For a well respected coach, have you noticed how much of a failure he actually is? I mean I have all the respect for Tony Roche, but he has had so much bad luck coaching players.

Ivan Lendl never won Wimbledon - Lendl hired Roche to win Wimbledon
Patrick Rafter never won Wimbledon
Roger Federer still hasn't won Rolland Garros - Federer hired Roche to win RG
Lleyton Hewitt still doesn't seem to be on track

under Tony Roche`s guidance:

*Lendl become #1 & won 8-slams
*Rafter became #1(briefly) & won 2-slams
*Federer played his best two seasons (2005-06) & won 6-slams

>>><<<Hewitt is the only failure for Roche so far:sad:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

you beat me to it. what i was going to say. :)

A

·
0 Posts
didnt he coach jelena dokic

so far with hewitt, theyve played 1 grand slam making the fourth round losing to the eventual winner, hardly a failure.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Federer hiring Roche just to win Roland Garros?, i seriously doubt that. That's not why he hired him.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts

Was Lendl with Roche for all 8 GS wins?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Was Lendl with Roche for all 8 GS wins?
I believe so. Roche trained Lendl for McEnroe's slice sevre on the AD court. Making the French Open win in 1984 possiable.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Now players whore around to different coaches.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

No that isn't what I'm talking about. Obviously they all had great success, but Lendl even said that one of the main goals he stayed with Roche was because he wanted to win Wimbledon and since Roche was a great volleyer, learning from him would help him out, however Lendl was never able to win Wimbledon. At the same time, Rafter has even said that Roche was to help him win Wimbledon, however like Lendl, Rafter lost both final appearances. Federer on the other hand has talked that he was interested in receiving Roche's help on clay/Rolland Garros because he won the French Open, however so far Federer has lost both final appearances. Lleyton Hewitt obviously still hasn't raised his game.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
No that isn't what I'm talking about. Obviously they all had great success, but Lendl even said that one of the main goals he stayed with Roche was because he wanted to win Wimbledon and since Roche was a great volleyer, learning from him would help him out, however Lendl was never able to win Wimbledon. At the same time, Rafter has even said that Roche was to help him win Wimbledon, however like Lendl, Rafter lost both final appearances. Federer on the other hand has talked that he was interested in receiving Roche's help on clay/Rolland Garros because he won the French Open, however so far Federer has lost both final appearances. Lleyton Hewitt obviously still hasn't raised his game.
Well you can´t blame the coach for everything. A player has to take some responsibility as well. If Rafter made it to 2 Wimbledon finals, how bad a job can Roche have done? Winning that final match requires so much more than good coaching. For example, if you look at Rafter-Ivanisevic 2001 final, there is nothing any coach could have done to change the outcome of that match, it was just so mental and psychological. And Rafter certainly had his chances. You can´t expect the coach to win you titles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts