Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tony Parker, a guy not even in the top 3 for the position he plays in basketball and owns not a signle significant record is apparently more "now" than Federer. Why? According to the retards at ESPN(all 3 of the poeple on their panel), because of his wife Eva Longoria(who, IMO, is not really all that great looking. She is as overrated as Parker is.)

·
Registered
711 Posts
People voted in this as well. I think Sharapova won her "round" but she's up against Tom Brady next. The competition isn't based on skill - it's about off-court/field buzz as well. Now if Roger was married to Eva Longoria, well...

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
The stupid contest is all about popularity in the US and not about skill. Tony Parker has Eva so that makes him "now" while Federer isn't because mens tennis isn't popular here.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Federer = Jordan. Last I checked Tony Parker wasn't near Jordan level. So WTF SI.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They don't actually say if "off the court/field" is more or less important than "on the court/field". The contest just claims that "it's on the court and off the court performance". Neither Parker nor Federer are known at having a glitzy off the court/field life. So basically it came down to Eva Longoria > accomplishments of Federer.

I'm really curious how Tiger Woods fares in this. Tiger Woods has a personality like a wooden board. He does ntohing outside of golf and his wife is a nobody to the rest of the world and he hasn't won a major event in almost a year now. Will they trash him like they did Fed? Hmmm.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
They don't actually say if "off the court/field" is more or less important than "on the court/field". The contest just claims that "it's on the court and off the court performance". Neither Parker nor Federer are known at having a glitzy off the court/field life. So basically it came down to Eva Longoria > accomplishments of Federer.

I'm really curious how Tiger Woods fares in this. Tiger Woods has a personality like a wooden board. He does ntohing outside of golf and his wife is a nobody to the rest of the world and he hasn't won a major event in almost a year now. Will they trash him like they did Fed? Hmmm.
Tiger's from the US. Of course they'll keep picking him.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Roger's got it covered guys he knows Tony won 'cause he's married to that chic of desperate housewives..So out goes Mirka in comes Linsay, and she’s forever coming in and out of rehab so that more column inches ha ha

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Roger's got it covered guys he knows Tony won 'cause he's married to that chic of desperate housewives..So out goes Mirka in comes Linsay, and she’s forever coming in and out of rehab so that more column inches ha ha
In that photo Roger is the one who looks as if he is going in and out of rehab :eek: :bolt: :tape:

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
ESPN continues to show how stupid it is!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

OT~~but considering what we are talking about you might find it interesting.

My brother was in a movie (small part) with Eva Longoria, though and he said she was really a sweetheart...I have a pic of him with her~~and she sent a nice autographed photo to his wife~~saying *From one Desperate Housewife To Another*~~My brother says, regardless of the parts she plays, she's a class act...In the movie were Keifer Southerland, Michael Douglas and Kim Basinger. He said all were neat people~~and very down to earth~~except for Kim Basinger..who was a bitch. She wouldn't even speak to the others when she was off camera. Nobody liked her and she liked nobody.
Thought some of you might enjoy this little tidbit.

They were filming at night in Toronto..and one night they were eating breakfast about 3AM...one of the restaurants opened just for them...they were sitting at the table, Eva, Keifer, Michael and my Bro, and didn't invite Kim~~they had already ordered and she came over and asked someone to get her a chair~~~~They all just looked at her and didn't move. She got the message and went over to a chair at another table and picked it up and threw it across the floor...and a piece of it broke.
Then she stormed out.

As I said, if you are a movie person, you might find this interesting.
luna

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just so you guys know, Parker has not actually won the "who is more now" face off with Federer. Just that the fans now have to landslide vote for Federer over Parker for Federer to actually win.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Parker is more "now" than Federer...certainly in the States.

I mean, tennis isn't basketball. And Eva Longoria.

To suggest otherwise is kind of laughable as far as the United States is concerned.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Parker is more "now" than Federer...certainly in the States.

I mean, tennis isn't basketball. And Eva Longoria.

To suggest otherwise is kind of laughable as far as the United States is concerned.
Eh? I don't recall the competition being called "who is most now in the USA". Almost everyone in a first world country knows/has heard the name Federer. Outside of the USA, next to nobody knows who Tony Parker is.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Also, Mr. and Mrs. Parker just got married like...not even two weeks ago, and it was all over every celebrity news show and tabloid in America.

Though, when thinking of a random American, given a picture of Parker and Federer and asked to identify them, I can't decide who most people would know. Probably Parker still, just through the sheer advantage basketball has here.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, Mr. and Mrs. Parker just got married like...not even two weeks ago, and it was all over every celebrity news show and tabloid in America.

Though, when thinking of a random American, given a picture of Parker and Federer and asked to identify them, I can't decide who most people would know. Probably Parker still, just through the sheer advantage basketball has here.
And Federer just won the biggest tennis major and equalled Borg's wimbly feats. Seriously, Fed is a household name across the planet just due to his dominance. No one knows Parker outside of the states, and even in the states people that don't follow basketball(the majority of Americans) will know who Federer is to some degree yet not know Parker.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
"Roger Federer tennis" outranks "Tony Parker basketball" 2.1 million to 1.6 million, but "Tony Parker Eva Longoria" outranks "Roger Federer" 2.6 million to 2.4 million.

The reasoning for Parker winning really isn't about sports, though, it's about his significant other.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
And Federer just won the biggest tennis major and equalled Borg's wimbly feats. Seriously, Fed is a household name across the planet just due to his dominance. No one knows Parker outside of the states, and even in the states people that don't follow basketball(the majority of Americans) will know who Federer is to some degree yet not know Parker.
The problem is that nobody here cares about tennis, though, and there's no real reason to believe that worldwide popularity is the subject of anything ESPN would be talking about. I mean, you saw where Federer is on the cover of Sports Illustrated. That wasn't really an accident.

Anyway, as said, they're not really talking about just sport, and thus, Eva Longoria kind of beats Roger Federer here, not really Tony Parker. Not to mention Parker just finished completely amazing run in the NBA finals, where the Spurs won a fourth title in not that many years, and people talk about dynasty, yada yada yada.

I don't like it, but I don't really see how Federer would really be more "now" than Parker.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Parker just won finals MVP, Spurs just won a fourth championship, Parker just got married to Eva Longoria. In terms of current public visibility, Parker definitely trumps Federer, hands down.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts