1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
709 Posts
Laugh at it all you want, it is ludicrous that you get as much time to recover after an ace or a 50 shots rally.

Oh and nobody is going to tell me "how tennis should be played".
Maybe you should learn the actual rule.

The clock doesn’t start until the umpire announces the score. And normally, after a long rally, the umpire doesn’t announce the score as quickly as he/she would after an ace.

So, please, stop with the nonsense.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Uncle Toni said along the same lines as what Rafa have been saying all this time. There's nothing new here.

Why are you watching tennis? For entertainment.

Who are the ones that entertain you? The tennis players.

If you want to be entertained thoroughly, you have to give a few seconds additional breathing time to the players after playing lengthy rallies. If you look at the tennis history, all the greatest matches that entertained the crowd have been long matches that lasted for 4 hours or 5 hours and beyond and that involved lengthy rallies throughout the match; for instance, Wimbledon 2008 final, Australian Open 2009 final, Australian Open 2012 final, French Open 2013 Semifinal, Australian Open 2017 final, and Wimbledon 2018 Semifinal. The tennis players are humans after all, not some machines that restart playing a rally after rally after the push of a start button.

Give tennis players a few additional seconds of breathing time to entertain you thoroughly for the well-being of the game and for the well-being of the tennis players.

1Nr8Mn40oAI

@ 1:57

·
Registered
4,173 Posts

The clock doesn’t start until the umpire announces the score. And normally, after a long rally, the umpire doesn’t announce the score as quickly as he/she would after an ace.

Enforcing the shot clock will vary from umpire to umpire. At the end of the day, you are leaving it to the chair umpire that is officiating the match and to the umpire's common sense and judgment.

After how many shots do you consider it a long rally? After how many seconds after the last shot of the rally is played should the chair umpire announce the score? Should the chair umpire announce the score while the crowd are still applauding or wait until after the crowd finish applauding the players after a long rally? The answers to these questions are going to be subjective and they will vary from umpire to umpire. Just like some of us, a chair umpire could be a tard of a particular tennis player and he/she could give hard time to the players he/she does not like, in enforcing the shot clock.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the 25 second rule. Umpires can and should be more understanding when players go over the limit after brutal rallies. It will be interesting to see how umpires will react when players go over the limit after long rallies at the US open.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Enforcing the shot clock will vary from umpire to umpire. At the end of the day, you are leaving it to the chair umpire that is officiating the match and to the umpire's common sense and judgment.

After how many shots do you consider it a long rally? After how many seconds after the last shot of the rally is played should the chair umpire announce the score? Should the chair umpire announce the score while the crowd are still applauding or wait until after the crowd finish applauding the players after a long rally? The answers to these questions are going to be subjective and they will vary from umpire to umpire. Just like some of us, a chair umpire could be a tard of a particular tennis player and he/she could give hard time to the players he/she does not like, in enforcing the shot clock.
And what’s your proposal then? 1min for every point? No limit at all? How many points in a match end up being one of those long rallies ? One in 10? And yet a certain player you seem to like very much routinely exceeds the limit on average throughout the match ! Obviously something must be done.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
If you think that it's better to have a 24-shot rally rather than two shots, then you need more time. But if we want a match where we do not think, then it's okay,' the 57-year-old said speaking at the Swedish Open in Bastad on Saturday, as quoted by Expressen

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Rafael_Nadal/58058/toni-nadal-25second-rul
Excerpt from Nadal's book "Rafa: My Story"

https://books.google.hr/books?isbn=0748129456

" ... Toni gestured, I took off the earphones. He said there was a rain delay, but for no more than fifteen minutes, they thought. I wasn’t fazed. I was ready for this. Rain would have the same effect on Federer as it would on me. No need to be thrown off balance. I sat down and checked my rackets, felt the balance, the weight; pulled up my socks, checked that both were exactly the same height on my calves. Toni leaned close to me. “Don’t lose sight of the game plan. Do what you have to do.” I was listening but I was not listening. I know at these moments what I have to do. I think my concentration is good. My endurance too. Endurance: that’s a big word.

Keeping going physically, never letting up, and putting up with everything that comes my way, not allowing the good or the bad—the great shots or the weak ones, the good luck or the bad— to put me off track. I have to be centered, no distractions, do what I have to do in each moment. If I have to hit the ball twenty times to Federer’s backhand, I’ll hit it twenty times, not nineteen. If I have to wait for the rally to stretch to ten shots or twelve or fifteen to bide my chance to hit a winner, I’ll wait. There are moments when you have a chance to go for a winning drive, but you have a 70 percent chance of succeeding; you wait five shots more and your odds will have improved to 85 percent. So be alert, be patient, don’t be rash. If I go up to the net, I hit it to his backhand, not to his drive, his strongest shot. Losing your concentration means going to the net and hitting the ball to his forehand, or omitting in a rush of blood to serve to his backhand—always to his backhand—or going for a winner when it’s not time. Being concentrated means keeping doing what you know you have to do, never changing your plan, unless the circumstances of a rally or of the game change exceptionally enough to warrant springing a surprise. It means discipline, it means holding back when the temptation arises to go for broke. Fighting that temptation means keeping your impatience or frustration in check.
Even if you see what seems like a chance to put the pressure on and seize the initiative, keep hitting to the backhand, because in the long run, over the course of the whole game, that is what’s wisest and best. That’s the plan. It’s not a complicated plan. You can’t even call it a tactic, it’s so simple. I play the shot that’s easier for me and he plays the one that’s harder for him—I mean, my left-handed drive against his right-handed backhand. It’s just a question of sticking to it. With Federer what you have to do is keep applying pressure to the backhand, make him play the ball high, strike with the racket up where his neck is, put him under pressure, wear him down. Probe chinks that way in his game and his morale.

Frustrate him, drive him close to despair, if you can. And when he is striking the ball well, as he most surely will, for you won’t have him in trouble the whole time, not by any means, chase down every attempted winner of his, hit it back deep, make him feel he has to win the point two, three, four times to get to 15–love.
That’s all I was thinking, in so far as you can say I was thinking at all"

That is why Rafito needed 40+ seconds against Federer, not because 25 or 30 were not enough, but it would've meant much better chances for Federer during the rallies, much more time before Federer's backhand starts spraying error after error, and would've consequently demanded some serious thinking & tactics during the course of the match on Rafa's part, and they (Rafito & UncleT) were too intelligent to allow it, no.

Therefore AO'17 was not legit, and should not happen ever again, no.

KIA & AO shame on you, with those 25-30 sec. rule you betrayed your global ambassadorito and the official amigo, and no lucky draw can redeem you unless you bring Rafito's seconds back.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
That is why he needed 40+ seconds against Federer & co., not because 25 or 30 were not enough, but it would've meant better chances for Federer and would've demanded some thinking during the match.
Lol. You could also say the guys wanting more recovery time aren't thinking at all because they can't come up with a bigger plan to conserve energy during the match (or even career) - can only think about that one point that's going on right then and there. Has it's advantages I guess.

Listen I don't really care that much what the limit is and there are some argument for making it longer, but there should be a limit and it should be enforced. And less time = less intelligence is such a terrible argument and actually hurtful statement that these guys should get fined for making it. Not even fully joking here.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the 25 second rule. Umpires can and should be more understanding when players go over the limit after brutal rallies.
No, they shouldn't be. You want the umpires to break the rules to suit certain players when they are there to make sure the rules are followed.

The rule is continuous play with the only exception being reasons outside the players control, i.e. equipment replacement.

Rule 29 c states in no uncertain terms:

"No extra time shall be given to allow a player to recover condition." (Excecptions: medical treatment/ toilet break between sets)

If the players are tired after a brutal point, here's the solution: Win the next point faster.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Cant wait for the damm clock to come around and stop with these stupid arguments that takes us nowhere.

But even with this clock , they will continue to come up with excuses.God or Goat complex

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Nothing makes my day better than Toni trowing in some bombs from time to time.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Laugh at it all you want, it is ludicrous that you get as much time to recover after an ace or a 50 shots rally.

Oh and nobody is going to tell me "how tennis should be played".
Rubbish post from yourself as often. Who pretends that you need 25 secondes to recover after an ace ? 10 seconds should be enough actually.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah, I hate it when the players get the ball in play quickly. It is so boring. I much prefer massive gaps between the points, so that the matches drag on for as long as possible. My favourite part of tennis actually is the gaps between the points. I'd like to see the rule change so that you have to spend 35 seconds between points every single point, and you get a warning if you don't spend 35 seconds between points. That's what intelligent people would want, obviously.

If that's the best argument you've got 'Uncle Toni' then I'd stick to your family restaurants.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I like the 25 second rule. I agree that they should be allowed a little more time after brutal rallies, but the problem is that players frequently go over the time limit after very short points as well.

What I don’t want to watch is a 4-hour match because each player takes a minute bouncing the ball 46 times in between each point.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I don't give a shit what Toni thinks. Its not about if the rule makes sense or not.

The 25 second rule exists. Yet, Nadal is breaking it all the time.

How arrogant can someone be to just ignore the rules of tennis to his benefit? Its the mindset of a toddler.

If there is an agreement that the rule should be changed to give the players more time to recover, then fucking change it. As long as this don't happen, just follow the fucking rules, like every decent sportsman on this planet.

·
F***ing have it
17,470 Posts
Bouncing the ball 10 times or compulsive ass-nose-ears picking doesn't make u smart :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts