Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else watching this match? It's turning out to be quite a good 'un. Guga a set up breaking Tommy in the last game of the first set (Tommy double faulted on breakpoint). Guga's movement to the right is noticeably impaired and yet he's doing his damndest to reach everything and he's playing as well as I've seen over the last year. Everything is flowing again on his groundstrokes and his tennis brain is working overtime coping with the adjustments he has to make for his movement.

In the second set Guga's service games have all being hard fought. Tommy is definitely making a concerted effort to pull Guga wide onto the FH side. Still Guga seems to find a serve when he needs one.. or a brilliant BH/FH to dash Tommy's hopes yet again. Tommy looks fitter though. I hope Guga pulls this one out in 3.

(As an aside, if only Gonzalez had Guga's brain) :).

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Guga V Tommy

Last two Guga service games, he's been down 15-40 and come back to deuce both times. Tommy must be p***** off. I have to say I admire Tommy but I love Guga :).

6-5 Guga in the second!

·
Banned
19,258 Posts

Andy, I watch it and it's awesome! I love it!
Guga's back :rocker:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

I'm watching it. It's turned out to be a VERY good one. I want Tommy to win but it's good to see Guga back to something like his old self. Great atmosphere around the court too.

·
Banned
19,258 Posts

6-5 now break!:hug:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Guga lost 2nd set on tiebreak. Not unexpected given the ease with which Tommy was holding his serve and Guga struggling to do so. 1 set a piece and everything to play for.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts

Guga's been touching a lot his lower back, I hope it's not hurting him much, and that he can keep fighting...Vamos Guga!!!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I hope he will keep fighting. Physio called out though. Looks like treatment on back/hip. Looks like he's in pain :(. It's a shame to see what Guga's been through over the last two years not just as a tennis player but as a person. For all he's done for others, he deserves better.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

3rd set started, hope he can play through

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

seems like he has problems chasing balls, it doesn't look good :sad:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

he's just going to have to go for his shots and make a whole bunch of them. Guga has the groundstrokes to make this a very short two sets if everything goes in. even now I can't think of anyone who hits a better one handed BH. I'd have to go all the way back to Edberg to find one better.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

JustmeUK said:
he's just going to have to go for his shots and make a whole bunch of them. Guga has the groundstrokes to make this a very short two sets if everything goes in. even now I can't think of anyone who hits a better one handed BH. I'd have to go all the way back to Edberg to find one better.
I second that! his BH is just awesome :cool:

·
Banned
19,258 Posts

:woohoo: I Love Gugaaaa:) keep up!

perfect winners by Guga, nearly the best I've seen since years!!! 3-3

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

jazz_girl said:
I'm amazed by Guga. Even if he's in pain, he's still giving it all :worship:
he would of course :). Guga has something of the indomitable spirit about him. down but never out :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Tommy serving for the 3rd set 5-3. Guga really struggling to move to cover shots now. Sad :bigcry:

·
Banned
19,258 Posts

this was a damn clearly ace!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

Guga does some great volleys :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts