Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bernard Tomic is working hard to make a lot of people, myself included, eat their words. The latest scalp the young Australian has claimed is that of world number 8 Mardy Fish whom he beat 6-4 3-6 7-5.

It’s an understatement to say Fish will not be impressed, particularly after what happened at the Hopman Cup with Dimitrov and his reaction behind the scenes, but Tomic is delighted.

Tomic’s run of good form will take him into the Australian Open as the heavy favourite against hard hitting Spaniard Fernando Verdasco in the first round. If Verdasco was at his peak he would teach Bernard a thing or two about incredible shot making but sadly we haven’t seen that form from Fernando since 2009.

I’m not the only one backing Tomic in that first round match – Tomic is not so subtle about what he thinks the outcome will be, freely burning Verdasco by saying he’s not a big threat.

“It was good that all three matches were three sets and I got a good workout and got my confidence up by playing well,.

I think I need to come out and be aggressive, like the way I was playing in the first few matches here at Kooyong.

If I play like that to his (Verdasco) backhand corner, he can’t really hurt me. It’s a good thing I’ve played him before, in Brisbane when he made that run to the semis.

I managed to get up 2-love and 40-15 and he beat me 6-4 6-2. I learnt from that. He’s a tough first round, but it’s a winnable match for me. It’s not one of those big names, like a big seed.
http://www.tennisperspective.com/2012/01/tomic-wins-kooyong.html

Tomic :rolleyes:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sorry Pirata, but I just gotta :lol: :lol: and :spit::spit:

(I know you like Verdasco, you couldn't be perfect! ;) )

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
I can't stand Tomic. He is such a brat and demands being treated specially even though without his Australian passport he'd probably be playing challengers and futures right about now (and rightly so). Hope he gets mauled but I am not holding my breath

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Nadal: 'It's going to be a tough match and I will have to play my best.' MTF: 'Outrage, what a phoney this humbalito'
Tomic: 'It's a winnable match for me.' MTF: 'Outrage, what an arrogant brat'

:scratch:

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
B-Nard :rocker2:

·
Registered
969 Posts
:hysteric:
:hug:

Nadal: 'It's going to be a tough match and I will have to play my best.' MTF: 'Outrage, what a phoney this humbalito'

Strangelly enough I can't repay your good rep. But this was a good post! And it didn't hurt me saying that! :lol: ;)

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
How come the last two good Aussie (if you can count the brat as good) have had nothing to do with what is traditionally considered to be the Australian level-headedness and humility such as what McNamara has tried to (not sure if he succeeded) in Dimitrov and what Laver and Roche have demonstrated along with other greats from the same country. They're like polar opposite to the past Australian greats. Hewitt was okay after he started receiving the RF treatment but before that he was still unbearable.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Pretty much THIS!

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Oh my jeesus. Kooyang is an exo! Maybe Mardy was earnestly trying because of his thrashing by Dimitrov, but Berdych and Monfils were all smiles, as if they were just paid a bunch of money to have fun on court. Which is what actually what happened. Like, the last time he played a real match he got thrashed off court. Apparently that didn't get through to him.
He wears smugness as a coat of armor.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Surely this is a tongue in cheek reference to the history these two have? Even if it isn't, props to him for bringing a bit of rivalry into the game. People are never happy. What do you want? The same old answers in pressers or a bit of interest.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I can't stand Tomic. He is such a brat and demands being treated specially even though without his Australian passport he'd probably be playing challengers and futures right about now (and rightly so). Hope he gets mauled but I am not holding my breath
+1

I can see him loosing his 1R match:angel:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Asshole. I hope he never reaches the top 10 in his career.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
Too big. Too B-Nard.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts

MTF at it's best :lol:

·
Registered
969 Posts
What's the problem? Verdasco is indeed not a big seed, he's ranked 24. He's a lower seed.
You are right. And even if he said he felt like he could beat Roger, Rafa and Nole. So what?! For a long time people complained that players were acting a bit too tamed.

It seems that the generation after the Fedal's duopoly will bring back the Sampragassi ( :facepalm: at myself) spirit. Competitive on and off the court.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts