Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the way this post doesn't refer to Tomic cheating. I really don't care about that.

In fact I actually like players who are unafraid to show bad sportsmanship, trash talk other players, use physical violence, say senseless things and insulting things, set bad moral examples for young fans...etc... it gives tennis's boring image a bit of a welcome shock.

However, the only way Tomic can win any slam is if he meets Andy Murray in the final.

Seriously, against a decent opponent, what has he got? His serve is seriously lack-luster considering his height. His height negatively affects his movement which is extremely sub-standard for the type of game-plan he is trying to employ (and sub-standard for a tennis player in general). A tall man should bulk up like Berdych/Soderling, and hit cannon-like shots off both wings. He should be untouchable on serve. Not faff around with junk-balls like some French midget.

Junk-ballers also must be able to create extreme topspin as well as slice. Being a flat hitter, Tomic's strokes are all going to fall medium to low in the strike-zone (flat or slice), thus he can't even really keep opponent's off guard with regards to making them hit the ball at uncomfortable and unpredictable heights. Even Dolgopolov who is clearly inferior even to Tomic (as witnessed today) can hit with heavier topspin.

Tomic is getting on already, and if he was ever going to have a huge weapon that all slam winners must have (Federer serve and forehand, Djokovic forehand and backhand, Nadal forehand...etc...) it would have already surfaced long ago. He is not ever going to grow a Soderling forehand now.

Tomic isn't the only guy who isn't the real deal in his generation though. He, Dimitrov, Harrison, Raonic, Dolgopolov (some generations later than Tomic) and every other player in his generation will be lucky to get one slam between them in my opinion. Nadal and Djokovic will mop up the slams well into their tennis old-age leaving Tomic's a lost generation.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
his girlfriend seems to have a lot of 1st world problems

jokes aside, tomic is not beating murray in any slam final.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Tomic won't even take a set against Murray in a slam final, let alone 3!

Guy is heavily overrated I think having seen him play over the last few years and don't see anything that special. However I will say he does his all around game is solid and his mentality is great considering his age.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
His GF is obviously being paid.

Tomic is the real deal. He just has a sense of control. He always seems to be in charge

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
By the amount of haters he has on MTF, he is the real deal.
:haha:

Murray will make another slam final. I don't like the guy but it's a little unfair to say he'll never make another. I'm not sure if he'll win one, but he'll make them. But yeah I pretty much agree with your Tomic hypothesis.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Wow.

so many Tomic haters.

And it seems most people forgot that Tomic is only 19 yo. He hasn't even stopped growing yet and he is not yet physically mature.
People are talking as if Tomic is already a finished product.
Is there even any other teenager in the top 100? I think not.
And Tomic will be in the top 30 by the end of AO.

Let's revisit this thread one or two years from now.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Wow.

so many Tomic haters.

And it seems most people forgot that Tomic is only 19 yo. He hasn't even stopped growing yet and he is not yet physically mature.
People are talking as if Tomic is already a finished product.
Is there even any other teenager in the top 100? I think not.And Tomic will be in the top 30 by the end of AO.

Let's revisit this thread one or two years from now.
Did Harrison drop out of the top 100 already?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
So what if he is 19? He is not going to completely re-invent his game at this point. He is a junkballer and will remain a junkballer. The only way that could possibly work out is if had weapons to follow it up with, a la Dolgo or Murray. He might still develop a proper serve as he gets older and stronger, but the way he hits his forehand just makes it hard to see how that shot could ever become a threat.
His current abomination of a game might get him to top 20, maybe even top 10, but real top players will not be bothered by his antics. Watch him get roughed up by RF next match.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
He's even more arrogant than Federer which I think is pretty remarkable.
:lol: it is hard to beat good ol' fed.

the kid is good, he will only get better.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Tomic is definitely the real deal. His mental capacity is already up there with the best as far as strategy and staying calm in pressure situations.

·
Registered
612 Posts
As much as how much I hate him, you can't deny his talent and ability to win matches.
He will be a lock as a top player for many years to come which is great as I can find someone I will always root against. That said, I still don't think he will be the greatest of his time.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Nah, he's definitely the real deal.

I see him winning slams once he sorts out his weak serve. Thats his main weakness for me.

·
Banned
94 Posts
Applause What Arragonce.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts