Mens Tennis Forums banner

Tom Brady calls Djokovic THE BEST

7K views 111 replies 46 participants last post by  NSMv1924 
#1 ·
Brady's vote just may have swayed the election. Federer and Nadal do not have anyone greater than Brady saluting them as the best.

#10 ·
LOL!!!! Poor Novak...you know you are not the BEST when you need Tom Brady for support...

#11 ·
Purely stats based:-

---------------Djokovic vs Federer:-------------
Grand Slams: 17 vs 20
Masters:
34 vs 28
YEC: 5 vs 6
Titles:
79 vs 103
Weeks at No. 1:
282 vs 310
Davis Cup:
1 vs 1
Hard Court Titles: 59 vs 71
Clay Court Titles:
14 vs 11
Grass Court Titles: 6 vs 19
H2H:
27 vs 23

Ultimately, it is in the balance right now, with an inevitability that Djokovic will claim the statistical edge over Federer and it really would be just an edge. Truth is these are both legends of the game and above all other players in my opinion with Nadal in the mix as well of course.

Reactions: Fedjokodal
#15 ·
Purely stats based:-

---------------Djokovic vs Federer:-------------
Grand Slams: 17 vs 20
Masters:
34 vs 28
YEC: 5 vs 6
Titles:
79 vs 103
Weeks at No. 1:
282 vs 310
Davis Cup:
1 vs 1
Hard Court Titles: 59 vs 71
Clay Court Titles:
14 vs 11
Grass Court Titles: 6 vs 19
H2H:
27 vs 23

Ultimately, it is in the balance right now, with an inevitability that Djokovic will claim the statistical edge over Federer and it really would be just an edge. Truth is these are both legends of the game and above all other players in my opinion with Nadal in the mix as well of course.
What is this? Many of these are irrelevant. Nobody cares about 250 and 500 events, junior. Also, Federer has a 6 year head start over Djokovic. I advise you to thread, "The Achievements of the Big 3 on their 33rd. birthday" for a comprehensive and unbiased look at the achievements when they were all the same age and the relevant stats only.

#29 ·
NFL quarterback is one of the most difficult challenging positions in pro sports. 11 defenders trying to take your head off every play. Brady has to drive the ball downfield, hope his receivers gets open and put the ball in their hands. He has done this for about two decades. Kapernick had one or two good seasons and faded away. Joe Namath had some good years and then his knees went. Dan Marino was great but he never could win a super bowl. Eli Manning beat Brady twice in Super Bowls but that was it for him. Brady is like Djokovic, physically superior and also uses intelligence and craft to stay on top. Both are fascinating all time great champions. Greatness knows greatness.

Reactions: RocketMan70
#30 ·
One thing is clear. Rafa and Fed convey the aura that they really don't care about being the all time top dog and they are more concerned by one match, one tournament at a time, blah blah blah. But the downplaying of their ambitions and drive to be the best only fools a few. Djokovic is the most sincere about his ambition and it's a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: sav001
#32 ·
I cant wait for the big 3 retire, but lets go.

I think all these opinion saying djokovic is the goat, has to do with the fact that, now (2020), he is the best and most difficult player to beat.

But this is the same story when people said in late 00s that Federer was the goat. And then, by 2013 more or less, that nadal was the goat.

We have always the latest impressions on our minds.

Djokovic will benefit, in this "criteria", because he is the younger and have the bigger chance to left the last impression of the 3.

Federer have a big difference of age in relation to Nadal, and then Djokovic. Thats, for me, explain why he was considered the best for more time than the others.
Nadal is in the middle, but not much older than djokovic. Thats why Nadal was considered the goat for less time.
And now djokovic is here to take.

But he is still 2 and 3 slams behind their rivals. And nadal is more likely to improve this number than Federer.
When all its over, we will have to see the big picture, doesnt matter if Federer beated baghdatis, or nadal beated Anderson.

For me, Nadal had the toughest era. He played peak Federer when young, and played peak nole when "older". And still got 19, despite being the most injured.
Doesnt matter if the majority was on Clay, because the slams are unbalanced with 2 hards, 1 grass and 1 Clay. Even more unbalanced if you think its 3 fast and 1 slow. And he beated both players in in-form period on fast surface slams.
At least, Djokovic can hold the opportunity to win slams in a new transitional era. Nadal didnt have that opportunity and wont have that.
I think Djokovic won-slams draws were the hardest, though.

But, how long will take for tsitsipas, Medvedev, thiem, auger aliassime, sinner, to finally start their era?
The transitional era that Djokovic can take advantage, might not be too long.

Just like Nadal learned to play Federer, and Djokovic learned to play nadal, players (some) will learn to play djokovic now, and try to take advantage on age (stamina) difference.

Ivanisevic is a vital piece now on Djokovic team, because serve will become vital for djokovic if he is aspiring to get to 21 or more.

#33 ·
I am a fan of Novak as much as the next guy. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he retires as the goat in the eyes of most tennis fans. With that said, using the opinion of an athlete who is virtually unknown outside US to support Nole's claim for Goat-ness is weak as fuck.

But maybe I'm just ignorant. Maybe the opinion of a retired baseball player (or NFL-star, whatever, who knows the difference?) carries a lot of weight, it is just that people are uneducated in my corner of the world?

#34 ·
I am a fan of Novak as much as the next guy. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he retires as the goat in the eyes of most tennis fans. With that said, using the opinion of an athlete who is virtually unknown outside US to support Nole's claim for Goat-ness is weak as fuck.

But maybe I'm just ignorant. Maybe the opinion of a retired baseball player (or NFL-star, whatever, who knows the difference?) carries a lot of weight, it is just that people are uneducated in my corner of the world?
Simply untrue. I am a near 81-year-old German and I know who Tom Brady is. Saying that nobody knows about Tom Brady outside of US is just demeaning and false.

Tom Brady is a GOAT of his sport, and he called Djokovic the GOAT of his sport. His opinion should matter because GOATs can recognise GOATs. Even Kobe Bryant - a GOAT of NBA - called Djokovic the GOAT of tennis.

#36 ·
This is bs. I like Federer, but let's be honest. Since 2008, Federer was far closer to Murray than he was to Djokovic/Nadal. In 2017/2018, Djokovic and most of the best players of 2014-2016 became injured. Federer defeated Cilic to win two of his slams. Jack Sock made the ATP Finals. Jack Sock!!! All we learned from these years is that Federer can take advantage when Djokovic and the others are injured.

As said, I love Federer and all of the Big 3, so I say this as a neutral. I have so much respect for Federer. But we need to be impartial.

#47 ·
Maybe the most important stat of all is grand slam title wins percentage out of total GSs played. I think Djokovic has the best % of that. Will tabulate later...

#50 ·
Nadal is 1st: 32.3% (19/59)
Djokovic is 2nd: 28.8% (17/60)
Federer is 3rd: 25.3% (20/79)

#48 ·
Also interesting about Brady is that he was willing to stick his opinion out there, put it on the line, even though it was just an Instagram comment. Most big superstars act like politicians and rarely put a private opinion into the public. Djokovic greatness moved him so much it moved him to speak his mind while most other great champions zip their lip.

#66 ·
We gonna see what's going on

310-282 currently in terms of weeks. Djoker needs to hold #1 until March 1 2021 to surpass Federer. That is a ridiculously short amount of time. In this time he also can amass 3 more slams and tie with 20. He could already be the GOAT within 9 months. I think it will not be so easy though, as Corona provided Federer with enough time to fully recuperate the knee and give a final push in 2021 at a deep run or two

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.