Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
Serve is not really working for Milos especially in the 2nd set..
Raonic's first serve percentage was a bit low, but otherwise the serve was not really the problem.

For one, Nadal won 12/13 of his own 2nd serve points; Milos has to return better than that. And Milos had too many forehand UEs. He was kind of impatient and over-eager out there.

But considering how out-of-form he was less than a month ago at Davis Cup, he's coming along. He just needs more matches.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raonic's first serve percentage was a bit low, but otherwise the serve was not really the problem.

For one, Nadal won 12/13 of his own 2nd serve points; Milos has to return better than that. And Milos had too many forehand UEs. He was kind of impatient and over-eager out there.

But considering how out-of-form he was less than a month ago at Davis Cup, he's coming along. He just needs more matches.
Thanks, I didn't watch the match.
Return of serve is always something that he should seriously work on besides footwork movement.
It's still a very encouraging scoreline though and hopefully he will pick up his form in Shanghai.:)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
To me, Milos didn't play too bad. Unfortunately he missed quite a few forehands and his serve let him down in a couple of crucial moments. Other than that, I thought he played alright, just not anywhere as good as he did at the start of the season. For the most part, Rafa played a clean match, making over 70% 1st serves, and winning around 90% of the 2nd serve points. Looks like the next round will be a breeze for him. Hopefully, he will keep this form for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
I think Raonic's major problem is how terribly he volleyed. I don't think he put away one volley on Nadal's serve- it was a Roddick like display. He didn't win to many rallies either, but even good baseliners have trouble with Nadal's moonballs.

·
Banned
692 Posts
Everyone knows what is going on with Rafa this week in Tokyo...he took it easy on Milos today. Let me see... He leads the H2H with Mugray 13-4; and if I'm not mistaken, the next victory over Mugray will have some delicious significance. So Rafa is simply preparing, basting, marinating and making sure he retains ALL of the succulent juices he deserves when Mugray becomes Rafa's TURKEY on Sunday. It will be quite a remarkable sight for the spectators in Japan; that IS if Mugray has enough guts to show up for his roasting:

Frauderer is next at 17-8....

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Where are Afraidovic and Afraiderer?

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Wow, Rafa took this one :worship: next year he'll go undefeated, greatest tennis player in history will have the best year ever next year. Book it and suckit.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
good fight as expected however nowhere near the nevel he needs to be to beat nadal...unlike what a certain someone on here thought

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Lots of bad errors during the baseline rallies from Raonic. Worst thing to do is get a few frame hits and bad errors because then Rafa got the match exactly where he wants it and will just keep pushing which he can do in his sleep.

The serving and net game wasn't really a big issue for Milos and if he can work on his baseline game and returns and become more secure from both sides then he'll be hard to beat for sure. Got all the tools

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I watched the match and it's definitely true that Raonic came out serving very well but after losing the first set he sort of imploded.

Needs to work on his groundgame, and I wouldn't even say his strokes WERE That bad it's just right now Milos lacks any variety. besides running up for the volley he does not mix up the depth of his shots very well nor does he often go to the slice.

Honestly besides the unpredictable serve, Milos is VERY easy to read and this may end up being a big problem for him, he just cannot hit past his opponents very well except for the days when is forehand is on and he is just hitting it incredibly fast.

Nadal looked fine, nothing exceptional... like many others, during the first set Nadal had huge trouble reading the Raonic serve and his returning was a bit subpar. in one of these matches it's hard to say if Nadal served well or if Raonic is just a horrible returner... probably a bit of both

Curious to see how Nadal does in his next round when facing a player with a ground game rather than just a serve

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Too soon for Milos, but I have the feeling he will beat Rafa next year if he manages to stay healthy
NO way! Maybe when Milos gets a cool handle on his head in big moments! After he lost the first set he started shanking some balls. THe only way Raonic beats Nadal next year is if Nadal significantly drops level. The only advantage MIlos has over Nadal is his serve. and if he somehow beats Nadal based on that one weapon i would be shocked

more astounding than anything, despite Milos being out of action for a while, his serve was arguably worse than Nadal's today

1 - 20 of 25 Posts