Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Basically Shapo was serving well and controlling mostly in the first set. Then for the second set Chung was able to create much more pressure on Shapo's serve and get into the rallies. In fact, it felt like Chung was mostly on top for much of the final set and was creating chances to break but couldn't take them. Shapo kept serving out wide, executing very well, and Chung just couldn't get to them. then Chung had one sloppy service game in the third set and he was pretty much done after that. He was actually serving very well up until that point; very high percentages. Must be very frustrating for him.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Chung has been very lacklustre since March.
Injuries and lack of practice slowed him down a lot it seems. I think he is gradually getting it back though. I feel a win against a decent player, top-20 or so, would give him a boost that he needs confidence-wise. Here's hoping it comes very soon because he's pretty much set to drop a whole load those 720 points from AO.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Shapovalov's serve out wide on the ad court was really vicious. It felt as if you wouldn't be able to return it even if you knew it was coming. Chung couldn't do anything about those serves to save his life.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,625 Posts
Shapovalov's serve out wide on the ad court was really vicious. It felt as if you wouldn't be able to return it even if you knew it was coming. Chung couldn't do anything about those serves to save his life.
Gilles Muller used to have perhaps the most vicious of these lefty sliders. And he had the T too. If you remember Nishikori's match against him in Basel in 2016, that was hard to take in. Shapovalov has apparently been remodeling his serve of late, or so I've heard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
14 aces pretty much tells the story. When Denis's lefty serve is on, he is pretty tough to beat, even if he hits 7 double faults. He was also insanely clutch on break points.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Takeaways from the Shapo-Chung match:

The Good - Denis showed good form except for a poor game in the 2nd set. He did face a few break points [as usual], but his serve stood up very nicely. ROS is really improving. The focus was much better. I love the towel over his head as that says to me he's really trying to stay in the zone. Good energy for the most part, except for a bit of a dip in the 2nd set. He did call out to his box or to himself a couple of times, but nothing that stood as anything unusual.

The Bad - Still hitting too many double faults & unforced errors. Although the latter was balanced by his winners. I think that needs to come down. I also feel he still goes for too much, but I do see an improvement in playing percentage points.

The Future - I don't know if this coach is for him or not. That's for Denis to decide, and I think we'll see with future results how that will work out. In the Wawrinka match, he really needs to have a strong focus, play percentage points, and keep the double faults down as much as he can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts