·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Re: Tokyo 500 r1: Nadal b. Soda 6-3 6-2

Raonic should be interesting next round.

·
Registered
29,199 Posts

It's "Soeda".

·
Registered
21,336 Posts

Given that Soeda got 5 games, I'm thinking a player I've heard of before has a decent chance.

·
A happy person
44,893 Posts

Okay, good first match, hold on Rafa and take the title :hug:

·
Banned
10,179 Posts

these tournaments and these opponents are not big enough to motivate rafa......the stage needs to be big......i am just looking forward to 2012 already......maybe he can take that chicken title in london at the year end but that is no big deal anyway......

·
Registered
6,414 Posts

Soderling is back? Bad draw for him.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts

fail title

·
Banned
10,179 Posts

he did not win this title last year.....he just carried the career grandslam happiness to tokyo, got out of the city and found himself with the title......

otherwise these events are usually not big enough anymore for him to get fired up and give his best......he will go down to somebody in the next rounds......the stage is just not big enough......

·
Registered
13,393 Posts

Bad loss for Soderling :haha:

·
Banned
18,509 Posts

Good match from Rafa: "I think I played a good match, better than I thought ahead of the match," said Nadal. "My serve was better than I thought because ahead of the tournament it was so-so. For me, the balls were a little heavy so I found it tricky to hit my forehand topspin. My next match against Raonic will be really tough."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/10/40/Tokyo-Tuesday-Raonic-Back-With-A-Win.aspx
Winning <70% FS points against a challenger level mug = good serve? :haha:

Nadal better bring his A ground game to next round because he played MUCH better last year against Raonic and it was still a relatively tight 6-4 6-4 match. Mind you back then he could hold his serve easily against anyone not named Djokovic.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Raonic has been in very poor form lately. Getting drilled by Weintraub in DC a couple weeks ago, and yesterday barely pulling out a victory vs Sugita in final set tiebreak. Those were his last two matches since wimbledon.

Nadal should handle him relatively easily if he shows up at all.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts

these tournaments and these opponents are not big enough to motivate rafa......the stage needs to be big......i am just looking forward to 2012 already......maybe he can take that chicken title in london at the year end but that is no big deal anyway......
:superlol:

What makes you think that 2012 will be any different? He'll just continue to be Nole's bitch, and lose to him over and over again, just like this year. Nothing will change. Rafa will forever be a mental midget. He's a disgrace to the sport.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

Raonic has been in very poor form lately. Getting drilled by Weintraub in DC a couple weeks ago, and yesterday barely pulling out a victory vs Sugita in final set tiebreak. Those were his last two matches since wimbledon.

Nadal should handle him relatively easily if he shows up at all.
Yep.
I have trouble seeing anyone in the Tokyo draw capable of doing any damage to Rafa - except perhaps Mardy Fish, if he's on (surely not Murray, needing three sets to overcome Baghdatis ;)).
500 easy points for grabs. :cool:

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts

:superlol:

What makes you think that 2012 will be any different? He'll just continue to be Nole's bitch, and lose to him over and over again, just like this year. Nothing will change.
If there's one thing which is certain in sport it is the fact that things will change.

It would be highly surprising if Rafa would never beat Novak again. Novak has an incredible season this year - just like Rafa had in 2010 - but it has to be seen whether he can repeat it again.

Sometimes it only takes one match to bring a player out of his rhythm.

Rafa had a very good season this year which most of the players can only dream of - to win 1 GS title and reach the final of 2 other majors.

He will belong to the favorites for the GS titles next season but - as it happens to every player - he will maybe lose more often at smaller tournaments to players he would beat in GS tournaments.

Rafa will forever be a mental midget.
That's what I would call a deep fall: From tennis' biggest spartan to being a mental midget now...

His physical and mental abilities still help him to win a lot of matches on the tour but he now faces a problem which all topplayers on the tour face: To deal with an opponent who has found the right game against you at a certain point.

He's a disgrace to the sport.
He's a disgrace because he lost some tennismatches this year? Losing belongs to sport just as winning. Would you call Novak a disgrace if he would have lost a few matches against Rafa in a season? Probably not ;)

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

He's a disgrace because he lost some tennismatches this year? Losing belongs to sport just as winning. Would you call Novak a disgrace if he would have lost a few matches against Rafa in a season? Probably not ;)
:lol: - word to all you just said, Doris.

How can a player be a 'disgrace', being the solid #2 in the rankings, with a massive gap with #3? A player who reached plenty of finals this year, losing most of them to a guy having an incredible run this year?
If one calls that a 'disgrace', what about the other 1000+ guys? :eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts