Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Poor Ryan. Was up a break in the third. Squandered numerous BP.

Wasn't streamed so I guess we'll never know if the quality was good.

·
A happy person
44,895 Posts
Well... sorry that Ryan lost the match in this way, poor him. :sad: :hug: Im glad for Fishy though.

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
Harrison fights like crazy so he can almost win against good players. He never actually wins close matches but he keeps people thinking he's good by almost winning :eek: Another clown I'm afraid :wavey:

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
This result seems like a double negative to me. Harrison is out first round, which means he has no chance to improve his ranking here and maybe get his act together, but it was a really close match, meaning Fish probably isn't playing his best tennis. I wanted Fish to go deep here, but that looks less likely now.

Reactions: navy75

·
Your visions will happen
48,592 Posts
Harrison fights like crazy so he can almost win against good players. He never actually wins close matches but he keeps people thinking he's good by almost winning :eek: Another clown I'm afraid :wavey:
The Magician getting his jollies by making fun of a 19 year old chasing his dream.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I saw the match and it was a pretty high-quality match that could go either way.
I've seen Harrison's matches in bits but this was the first time I saw his match from the beginning to the end. His baseline game is already quite mature and impressive, and he has a solid serve. But it was always Fish who changed pace, used drop shots and lobs and went to the net whenever the opportunity arose. Since Harrison has good returns, however, and the courts in Ariaka apparently slowed down a bit (they changed it to Decoturf in summer), there were many long, nail-biting rallies.
Harrison obviously did some homework after losing to Fish twice this summer, and he started the match better focused than Fish. Both the first and second sets began with Harrison breaking Fish's serve. In the first set, Fish broke back, but in the second he couldn't. Fish grew more and more frustrated, he started making many complaints (some of them were justifiable though, ilke the timing of flood lights lit up, which happened as he waited for Harrison's serve). When he made a UE on a BP, he threw his racket and got a warning for unsportsmanlike behavior. Harrison also yelled and tossed racket. The match was so close it could go either way until 5-5 in the decider. It looked as if Harrison had a little more wind going for him, but then Fish had the decisive break and that was it.
As I said above, Harrison has a very good baseline game, but maybe he need to learn to change up more on his own account. Fish probably didn't want to play such a long match in the first round. After the match he said to oncourt interviewer that the condition was tough because it became cold and windy during the match (the sun had just set during the match).

Reactions: navy75

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
that's really too bad, would have been a great upset for Harrison and one would love to see him get some great victories towards the end of 2012 that can hopefully propel him at the start of 2012 to his big breakthrough

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I saw the match and it was a pretty high-quality match that could go either way.
I've seen Harrison's matches in bits but this was the first time I saw his match from the beginning to the end. His baseline game is already quite mature and impressive, and he has a solid serve. But it was always Fish who changed pace, used drop shots and lobs and went to the net whenever the opportunity arose. Since Harrison has good returns, however, and the courts in Ariaka apparently slowed down a bit (they changed it to Decoturf in summer), there were many long, nail-biting rallies.
Harrison obviously did some homework after losing to Fish twice this summer, and he started the match better focused than Fish. Both the first and second sets began with Harrison breaking Fish's serve. In the first set, Fish broke back, but in the second he couldn't. Fish grew more and more frustrated, he started making many complaints (some of them were justifiable though, ilke the timing of flood lights lit up, which happened as he waited for Harrison's serve). When he made a UE on a BP, he threw his racket and got a warning for unsportsmanlike behavior. Harrison also yelled and tossed racket. The match was so close it could go either way until 5-5 in the decider. It looked as if Harrison had a little more wind going for him, but then Fish had the decisive break and that was it.
As I said above, Harrison has a very good baseline game, but maybe he need to learn to change up more on his own account. Fish probably didn't want to play such a long match in the first round. After the match he said to oncourt interviewer that the condition was tough because it became cold and windy during the match (the sun had just set during the match).
Thanks for the great summary! Was this televised or were you there?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
This result seems like a double negative to me. Harrison is out first round, which means he has no chance to improve his ranking here and maybe get his act together, but it was a really close match, meaning Fish probably isn't playing his best tennis. I wanted Fish to go deep here, but that looks less likely now.
This is tremendous logic. I agree 100% after reading this, and now wish that Harrison had won as well as it would have meant infinitely more to him. A couple of wins is going to mean very little to Fish if he doesn't make at least the SF, and if he is jetlagged or otherwise unprepared this week he would have been better off losing this one and heading to China anyway.

Harrison drew a really unfortunate qualie spot, as I believe that he would have been favored in all of the other three spots.

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
Great report. Good to hear Ryan is at least starting to find some good form again even if he couldn't close out the match.

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
This is tremendous logic. I agree 100% after reading this, and now wish that Harrison had won as well as it would have meant infinitely more to him. A couple of wins is going to mean very little to Fish if he doesn't make at least the SF, and if he is jetlagged or otherwise unprepared this week he would have been better off losing this one and heading to China anyway.

Harrison drew a really unfortunate qualie spot, as I believe that he would have been favored in all of the other three spots.
That makes no sense. If Fish was jet-lagged today, he won't be in two days time when he plays his next match. People do actually recover from jet-lag. ;)

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Harrison's playing better than I thought judging by the stats.. very close either way.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
What are people talking about Harrison loses too many close matches? He's probably won more close matches this year than any other player. For a stretch it seemed like every other match he played was a three setter where he'd drop the first set and come back.

Anyway, I see his first serve percentage was at 60% this match which is good to see as it has been hovering around 40% in matches for a while now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts