Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Actually, at the beginning of his career, there was not a player I disliked more. Agassi was a brash, cocky self-serving jerk...who even pulled a Djokovic when he took a bathroom break against Edberg once in order to recover and win a match. HOWEVER, by the end of his career, he represented all that was good in sports. He was a well spoken man, who appreciated his talent and his ability to entertain the fans through it. He was primarily concerned with his academy, even leaving Nike because of their refusal to help him along these lines. And his level of humility and respect for his opponents was epic. The respect of his peers was the tell-tale sign for me. When you hear about Rafa running through the bowels of Arthur Ashe Stadium to see Agassi's farewell...and holding back tears after hearing him speak...well, that speaks volumes about the transformation of the man. How many athletes do you know who were viewed as classy representatives of the game during the foremost years of their careers, but who became tranwrecks...embroiled in scandal after scandal? From feast to famine, so to speak. Agassi went from crass to class.
Mocking Kucera when he was having problems with his balltoss is the epitome of classy behaviour. Spare me the bullshit.

Which party are you trying to be Presidential candidate for in the 2008 election with this speech.

·
124,506 Posts
Yup, all the guys you mentioned behaved badly. Although I think Becker was mostly angry at himself, and not necessarily disrespective towards his opponents. As you said, there is more scrutiny now, and players know how to give nice speeches, say polite things at the press conferences and so on...But when the competition is tough, there will always be spillovers, it´s not a question of era.
Becker was a prick to his opponents at times, perfect examples were Medvedev at Wimbledon and Voinea at RG. This is a sidepoint though, he never claimed to be a saint and like anyone and yes this includes Agassi, they have their respective good points about themselves.

It's easy to be great in victory, like I said you learn more about people when they lose and it gets back to my original point, today the media scrutinise more and this is why we have such boring press conferences for the most part, they are going through the motions.

·
124,506 Posts
I know you dislike Agassi and that's not the case with me. I think he was a fairly nice guy during his final years and he was fun to hear speak (though I actually find his tennis can be monotonous) but it was just bullshit the media perception of him. I have no idea whether he attempted to endorse that image completely or whether it was just a media percpetion which became 'widely recognised'. In any case, anyone who followed tennis closely should've realised it was a fallacy.
It was a combo of both, considering he was Mr.Image is everything, though who was jerking who in this case, isn't entirely obvious, but the way it changed so much, was funny, people don't change that much fundamentally.

Another example of the media fallacy is that Kafelnikov, not a media darling or in cases likable gave away his prizemoney at an event he won, to victims of a massive plane disaster in Russia, this got very little coverage, but we all know why.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Mocking Kucera when he was having problems with his balltoss is the epitome of classy behaviour. Spare me the bullshit.
That is why I emphasized the END of Andre's career. And you call yourself a moderator.:rolleyes:

·
124,506 Posts
That is why I emphasized the END of Andre's career. And you call yourself a moderator.:rolleyes:
I don't call myself a moderator. Still doesn't change the fact as to what I said earlier, classy players don't do that sort of shit, or make references to players coming out of trees, catching serves in Davis Cup away ties, just to give their opponent a game and mock them.

These things were funny in their own way, but just by using cliches and big words without saying anything really meaningful isn't classy.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It's not exactly like Agassi never said anything contraversial in his later career anyway. The media portrayed him to be something he was not. Great tennis player? Yes. True legend? Yes. Super nice and classy guy? Not really.
Yeah I never really understood that either. He was portrayed as so wise and calm and introspective... but the man really seems like a bit of a dickhead.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
What are you talking about? They are a classy bunch... this video proves it!
Perfect clip to serve as an addendum to almost ANY WTA player post-match interview.;)

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Perfect clip to serve as an addendum to almost ANY WTA player post-match interview.;)
You can say that again! :lol:

As for the subject: I do think the players nowadays are more PR-savvy, that's true. Back in the 80'-90' we didn't yet have internet and the media blowing everything out of proportion like they apparently do now, so of course the majority of players are more cautious to keep up a (sort-of) friendly image.

But that doesn't necessarilly mean that being 'nice' equalls being 'fake'. Of course none of them are 'angels' all the time, but it doesn't at all hurt the image of the sport to show courtacy and respect for your opponent when it's very much in order to do so. Give me our current #1 and #2 (and many of their collegues!) in stead of the Nasty's, Connors' & McEnroe's all the way!

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
I don't call myself a moderator. Still doesn't change the fact as to what I said earlier, classy players don't do that sort of shit, or make references to players coming out of trees, catching serves in Davis Cup away ties, just to give their opponent a game and mock them.

These things were funny in their own way, but just by using cliches and big words without saying anything really meaningful isn't classy.
Oh come on, George. You're letting your prejudices get away from you. The Davis Cup thing happened when he was a KID. If somebody evaluated me based on what I did when I was 18 or 19, I shudder to think what they would say.

I don't think Andre ever claimed to be a saint. The fact is that he grew up. You can hardly blame him for being more popular than Kafelnikov. Did he use his popularity and media attention to further his charity? You BET he did. But I'm hardly going to castigate him for it. And let's say that he really did, as you suggest, do the charity bit to make himself look better to the media. So what? It doesn't make a damn bit of difference to those inner-city kids. They reap the benefits no matter what Agassi's motivations are. :shrug:

I am a long time Agassi fan...and you'll never hear me say that he was saintly. He was not.

·
124,506 Posts
Oh come on, George. You're letting your prejudices get away from you. The Davis Cup thing happened when he was a KID. If somebody evaluated me based on what I did when I was 18 or 19, I shudder to think what they would say.
Far from it. That would be shoddy behaviour from a 10 year old, let alone a professional. You don't go around catching serves unless you are going out there to ridicule your opponent. Age is no excuse.

I don't think Andre ever claimed to be a saint. The fact is that he grew up. You can hardly blame him for being more popular than Kafelnikov. Did he use his popularity and media attention to further his charity? You BET he did. But I'm hardly going to castigate him for it. And let's say that he really did, as you suggest, do the charity bit to make himself look better to the media. So what? It doesn't make a damn bit of difference to those inner-city kids. They reap the benefits no matter what Agassi's motivations are. :shrug:
I don't give a fuck that he was more popular than Kafelnikov. I just used what Kafelnikov did and which was virtually overlooked, mainly cause of the way he presented himself, that it seemed he was not capable of doing this. If Agassi did this, then the circular wank continues.

So he has a charity, good for him, it helps kids and gives him tax concessions.

As to what I prefer in relation to the thread question. It doesn't bother me away, they seem a lot nicer today, but how much of that is genuine.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts