Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pathetic from "France's biggest hope". I think he has too much pressure on his shoulders being the only one from his generation, France really need someone else, Humbert or Moutet maybe.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Him and Mladenovitch would make a perfect couple

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts
Was a bit surprised to hear today that he is still a top 20 player. Utter non-entity this year.
he even managed to make the top 10 early this year.

·
Registered
404 Posts
People would hype him for his "looks" and all-court game but he simply isn't a good tennis player.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
People would hype him for his "looks" and all-court game but he simply isn't a good tennis player.
He is wildly inconsistent, like many players are. His usual level is pretty subpar, but when he is playing at his peak, he is Top 10 for sure.

Anyway, the loss in Toronto was shameful.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Of all the French players he disappoints me the most. He has a massive massive BH, one of the biggest on tour. He has a big serve. He's quick and looks to be quite fit. There's no reason why he shouldn't be going to the QFs of slams regularly. But I think like Gulbis, he'll always be an underachiever.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Pathetic from "France's biggest hope". I think he has too much pressure on his shoulders being the only one from his generation, France really need someone else, Humbert or Moutet maybe.
It is indeed his biggest problem as Gasquet, Tsonga, Monfils and Simon are at the end of their careers and are more often injured than playing (and also players like Benneteau, Mahut, ….) In a country with a lot of tennis tradition like France, it is a huge pressure to be the only one to carry the flag. Moutet is talented but he is more like Santoro, Florian Mayer style, so I doubt he will reach the very top. I have not yet seen Humbert, but his latest results are very good.

Quentin Halys is not good enough to be a top 50 player, so France do really need new players. Spain has also the same problem with a whole generation approaching the end.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Impressive, maybe he has a chance to break a record.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of all the French players he disappoints me the most. He has a massive massive BH, one of the biggest on tour. He has a big serve. He's quick and looks to be quite fit. There's no reason why he shouldn't be going to the QFs of slams regularly. But I think like Gulbis, he'll always be an underachiever.
His ROS is diabolical, i'm pretty sure it was not that bad 2 years ago. And mentally he is weaker than ever, i never thought pressure would have such a big impact on him, i saw him stronger than that.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is indeed his biggest problem as Gasquet, Tsonga, Monfils and Simon are at the end of their careers and are more often injured than playing (and also players like Benneteau, Mahut, ….) In a country with a lot of tennis tradition like France, it is a huge pressure to be the only one to carry the flag. Moutet is talented but he is more like Santoro, Florian Mayer style, so I doubt he will reach the very top. I have not yet seen Humbert, but his latest results are very good.

Quentin Halys is not good enough to be a top 50 player, so France do really need new players. Spain has also the same problem with a whole generation approaching the end.
Humbert look the most promising, he has everything to be successful, good game, tall (190cm) and strong mentally. Coutet is talented but his height (175cm) is a big disavantage and is too crazy (Benoit Paire 2.0) to be successful at the highest level. Halys is an enigma, he has a the weapons to be a solid top 50 player imo

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
He needs to change something because he is clearly wasting his prime years. He is very talented and should have kicked on from that win against Nadal, but sadly he has gone backwards since. I fear that he will end up as the next Gasquet. Very good in weak 250s but never really doing much in the bigger tournaments.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
His game is all in the brain, he seems to just go out there without any plan on how to play. What a waste of talent. He is also in the top 25 of the race.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts

This was also always Gasquet's problem. What is that with the French? It's not that the whole nation is looking at a guy like Pouille, right? Gasquet was a real contender for top 3 one day, Pouille never was/is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts