Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to say, watching today's match - particularly the tight stretch through the middle of the first set and also early second before Djokovic broke through - was such a pleasure and breath of fresh air. These guys know how to push each other and play some spectacular points, both in terms of athleticism and tennis talent.

Can't remember the last time I saw Djokovic look to his camp with expressions of bewilderment, surprise, respect, appreciation. When Nadal was able to bring it today, he came up with some awesome stuff to push the world #1 - but as Eurosport commentators noted, not enough consistent depth yet. Best of 5 in Paris is a very different story as we've seen.

Love Nole but I also like to see him challenged. He was at his best in 2011-early 12 when Rafa was near his peak. Rafa getting back into top 2 or 3 would really benefit men's tennis.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It was in parts a really good match, there were some world-class rallies you'd never see between Nole & player X/Y/Z because they're just too NID. The athleticism, the movement, the tension, the will.

I watched it on a stream and watched a Fed Cup match on TV at the same time, and I think mankind doesn't have a measure to quantify the difference in quality. Anyway... while we're about to enter the Djokovic era it'd be nice to have some kind of serious rivalry happening, because that's what keeps people interested and excited. I don't want Rafito to win #15 or #16, but he'd be good for this specific role: "perennial loser masked as an actual rival".

·
Registered
367 Posts
Have to say, watching today's match - particularly the tight stretch through the middle of the first set and also early second before Djokovic broke through - was such a pleasure and breath of fresh air. These guys know how to push each other and play some spectacular points, both in terms of athleticism and tennis talent.

Can't remember the last time I saw Djokovic look to his camp with expressions of bewilderment, surprise, respect, appreciation. When Nadal was able to bring it today, he came up with some awesome stuff to push the world #1 - but as Eurosport commentators noted, not enough consistent depth yet. Best of 5 in Paris is a very different story as we've seen.

Love Nole but I also like to see him challenged. He was at his best in 2011-early 12 when Rafa was near his peak. Rafa getting back into top 2 or 3 would really benefit men's tennis.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
I agree.
Respect to booth of them.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
It is an endless repetition that is a shadow of what it once was, so I am not sure it is good for tennis.

It just looks so much worse than it did from 2008-2013. It wont ever reach those highs of Madrid 2009, RG 2013 ever again.

Federer-Djokovic is the only matchup that still looks peakish for some reason, they bring out the best of each other.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Today was really high quality, entertaining match between two great rivals. I'm not a huge fan of Nadals game, but repect his tennis skills and grit immensely:yeah:

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Its hard to pick between Djokovic-Federer or Djokovic - Nadal, for sure one of these has to be the best rivalries of all time. Djokovic- Federer has more quality, but Djodal provides more drama... I really dont know which one to pick.

Today was a good match. Nadal has alot of positives to look back to. In my opinion Nadal served better than USO 2010, defence as good as ever, backhand solid for staying in the rally, but the Forehand was a little disapointing tbh. I had a feeling Nadal couldnt hit through Djokovic, not even when going for the lines... Nadal was more passive than usual, the score line is a bit decieving if you ask me, could have easily been a bagel in the second if not for the HUGE amount of luck factor.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Its hard to pick between Djokovic-Federer or Djokovic - Nadal, for sure one of these has to be the best rivalries of all time. Djokovic- Federer has more quality, but Djodal provides more drama... I really dont know which one to pick.

Today was a good match. Nadal has alot of positives to look back to. In my opinion Nadal served better than USO 2010, defence as good as ever, backhand solid for staying in the rally, but the Forehand was a little disapointing tbh. I had a feeling Nadal couldnt hit through Djokovic, not even when going for the lines... Nadal was more passive than usual, the score line is a bit decieving if you ask me, could have easily been a bagel in the second if not for the HUGE amount of luck factor.
What? Oh cmon now, this is just pure bullsh*t.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
What? Oh cmon now, this is just pure bullsh*t.
You have not watched the match then. The placement was absolute perfect, ofcourse he didnt hit as flat on clay.
The only factor you people give credit are kph nowadays.

I remember the commentator saying he hit 14/15 well placed first serves in the second set.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
I agree.

Can you imagine what would Tennis be with Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray all at their prime peak AT THE SAME TIME?

2012 was an awesome tennis year. We had the golden era of tennis since Federer and then Nadal, and then Djokovic and Murray peaked, imagine that if they could do it all at the same time.

Will never happen, but hey, at least we had 2012, Federer prime time, Nadal prime time, Djokovic prime time and a little of Murray too.

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
I forgot it wasn't until after they took the picture at the beginning to when they showed the image of Djokovic moving into the final against Berdych honestly.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
You have not watched the match then. The placement was absolute perfect, ofcourse he didnt hit as flat on clay.
The only factor you people give credit are kph nowadays.

I remember the commentator saying he hit 14/15 well placed first serves in the second set.
Ofcourse I watched the match, his serve was comparably good to 2015. The 2010 serve is never coming back. Never ever. He was just bombing down the line, mixing things up for once in 2010.

Also, his movement being great? I mean, Djokovic was just humiliating him with those dropshots, he could not get on time to Djokovic's crosscourt BHs (that were nowhere near as good as it was say 2011) and instead just was pushed back to defensive positions. No dtl fhs.

You live in the land of illusions where everyone keeps improving all the time, Nadal actually looks a bit clumsy out there on clay nowadays. His movement is a shadow of his peak days.

·
6,674 Posts
Today's Semi reminded somewhat of Montreal a couple of years ago on hard court, with the reverse result.
Winning today was equally important for Novak to maintain momentum and confidence.
Nadal fans will rightfully point out that Rafa is a different beast in Paris and in BO5, his record there of 9 titles and 66-1 has been one of the most crushing displays of dominance ever seen in any sport.
But Novak is concentrating on the process and it is looking more like the outcome will take care of itself. Novak is the best in the world now at what he does, on every surface.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Ofcourse I watched the match, his serve was comparably good to 2015. The 2010 serve is never coming back. Never ever. He was just bombing down the line, mixing things up for once in 2010.

Also, his movement being great? I mean, Djokovic was just humiliating him with those dropshots, he could not get on time to Djokovic's crosscourt BHs (that were nowhere near as good as it was say 2011) and instead just was pushed back to defensive positions. No dtl fhs.

You live in the land of illusions where everyone keeps improving all the time, Nadal actually looks a bit clumsy out there on clay nowadays. His movement is a shadow of his peak days.

I have never stated nadal is back to peak form. The only thing that's missing is the forehand, without that wing he simply cant go on the offense, not against Djokovic atleast.
Nadal easily reached most of those dropshots winning majority of them. Djokovic backhand was perfect today, flat and deep no UE that I remember. The amount of BH DTL from Djokovic was astonishing. Nadal 2011 would have lost today, but prevail at the FO, because of the mental collapse on the other side.

Dont judge Nadal's form based on the loss only, as he's not supposed to win any matches against peak Djokovic without any huge mental advantage like at the FO.

·
6,674 Posts

I have never stated nadal is back to peak form. The only thing that's missing is the forehand, without that wing he simply cant go on the offense, not against Djokovic atleast.
Nadal easily reached most of those dropshots winning majority of them. Djokovic backhand was perfect today, flat and deep no UE that I remember. The amount of BH DTL from Djokovic was astonishing. Nadal 2011 would have lost today, but prevail at the FO, because of the mental collapse on the other side.
He won about 1/2 of them, Novak dutifully went cross court with another backhand, or lobbed over him the other times and set up the point.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
He's overachieved in H2H actually by cleaning up MMs.

Slams:

Nadal - Djokovic 9:3
6/9 - Roland garros matches
2 - Fluke USO
1 - Wimbledon Djokovic retired

Even if I ackowledge the USO, Nadal still counts heavily on one surface.

Djokovic and Nadal have met 43 times, 19 were on Nadal's favorite surface. That's almost 50% of the meetings.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
6/9 - Roland garros matches
2 - Fluke USO
1 - Wimbledon Djokovic retired

Even if I ackowledge the USO, Nadal still counts heavily on one surface.

Djokovic and Nadal have met 43 times, 19 were on Nadal's favorite surface. That's almost 50% of the meetings.
1) Flukes dont exist.

2) IF it werent for rafa nole would have 3/4 RG and people would claim it as his strongest.. or one of his stronger surfaces....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts